Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5'4"

Question Looking for Fish Recipes

Hubby and I are starting Wave 1 (again) and plan to incorporate more fish into our diet. He's a fish stick sort of man, and we're trying to find some good, non-breaded fish recipes. Specifically white fish (we've got a lot of cod and flounder in the freezer right now). Help!
seanachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #2  

Default Some easy ideas

I love fish (any type) with the sauce of my own creation, parsley caper sauce (try it on chicken, beef or shrimp too)

Total Time: 10 minutes or so
Ingredients:
1/2 bunch or parsley
Peppery or grassy olive oil
2 large garlic cloves
3 teaspoons of capers (mostly drained, but no need to rinse)
1 lemon
water
salt and pepper to taste

1. Get out your mini-chopper or food processor
2. Wash parsley and remove the stems, drop it in the processor.
3. Add the garlic cloves (you can lightly chop them to save time) and the capers to the processor.
4. Pulse the items in the food processor till chopped
5. Add the juice of 1/2 lemon
6. Add olive oil (maybe a quarter cup, but you can add more)
7. Process till smooth and chunky, add more water or oil if the mixture isn't coming together
8. Taste for salt and pepper, store in the fridge

Basically I broil or sautee the fish after seasoning with salt and pepper, then pour this on the fish. Some good add-ons: sautee white beans or chickpeas with garlic and onions for a few minutes (use the canned) and then add artichokes (frozen is good) and cherry tomatoes. Put the fish on top. Quick and easy.

I also love Vera Cruz styled fish. Veracruz sauce typically has some blend of tomato, onion, garlic, and chiles for a cooked pico de gallo.

Lastly I love mango salsa on my fish. This is also easy to make: chop a mango, one red bell pepper, 1/4 a mild onion, chiles to taste, cilantro and some lime juice. Mix it up, add salt and pepper and a teaspoon of olive oil. Use this on sauteed fish, or broiled cajun fish for another yummy meal.

Also try the whole "fish in paper" cooking method. Take a few veggies of your choice, i like tomatoes, bell peppers, leafy greens, artichokes, maybe broccoli, carrots, or green beans. Add some citrus slices (lime lemon orange or any combo), add some fat ( a teaspoon or so). Perhaps add maybe a clove of garlic, chopped fresh herbs, put everything in foil or parchment paper sealed tightly, seasoning of course and add a few tablespoons of liquid: wine or water. Heat the oven to about 350 or so and cook for 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. Serve alone, over rice or your choice. Open the packets and dump on to a plate to serve. You can also switch it up with asian flavorings: rice vinegar and soy sauce with ginger. Pretty flexible and easy.

Sorry for the ramblings. Hope this helps.
jade408 is offline   Reply With Quote