Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning Everyone!

Thank-you for the welcomes! I'm nearly finished with the book and am really psyched up to do this! I have over 100 pounds to lose and I know this is by far the healthiest plan I can be on for life!

This morning I had cereal that had a whopping 14 grams of fiber per serving! It was really good too!

The recipes in the book look really good and I need to go to the store and start stocking up!

SISS: Where in FL are you? We visit Pensacola Beach quite often and this year we are going to Treasure Island which will be a first for us - take care during this hurricane season - I've heard you all need the rain - hopefully it won't be too much of a good thing!

WISH4FIT: London sounds awesome! Our neighbor just had some visitors from London and it was wonderful visiting with them!

LUVTHELIGHTHOUSe: I love lighthouses too! Nice to meet you!

KATEC: Hi!! Nice to meet you!

RETIRED: Awesome news on yours and hubby's weight losses! What an incentive for me just starting out on Sonoma!

SF40: Hi!! Nice to meet you too!

Now I have a question for you all! What is yoki?? I can't figure that one out!

The yogurt cucumber mixture in the book - it starts talking about yogurt cheese - can you just use the mixture as written in pitas and such?

Will a blender work as well as a food processor? I don't have a food processor yet.

Thanks again, for the warm welcomes!

Lori
Old 06-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #17  

Hi Lori,
You are going to be delighted about this program because of all the good healthy food which I'm sure you have noticed while reading the book.Yoki is something I picked up from Angela and its yogurt. Just a short cut rather then spell the whole thing.. I make the cuke/yoki sauce in the book and use it on the pita,its great tasting. I made yogurt cheese with mine but I'm sure you can use it as is. I live 83 miles southcentral of Orlando in a town called Sebring. When you go to Treasure Island make sure you visit John's Pass,it is different with many shops and great seafood eating places. If you like to drive around also visit Passe Grille,lovely beaches there as well as where you are going to stay. I've been here in FL 35 years coming from New Jersey. Yes, we needed this rain very badly as the muck fires which also burn underground are hard to control along with the brush fires. The coastline got the force of Alberto(Tampa area Northword)we just had the much needed rain but people out along the coastline had to evacuate in certain counties due to the water surge. Nice talking with you. Much success to you and see you tomorrow. Wanted to add that with the yogurt cheese it would be thicker. Even when you drain the cukes and pat them dry you'll still get water from them. No much but it will be thinner mixture for you. But experiment and see what works for you.

Last edited by sissym2004; 06-13-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 178/168/150

Default Day 9 for me. Almost done w/Wave 1... yeah!

It was not an easy day for me. I thought Wave 1 was supposed to rid you of the cravings... It didn't! I always have the feeling of dry mouth, which is impossible, seeing as how I keep a glass of iced tea or water w/me at all times. I think my body is seriously missing the sugar, or variety, I'm not sure. I'm hoping that the fruit in Wave 2 will drastically help w/this feeling. Thank goodness I only have one day left w/out it.

Today's food:

B: Go Lean cereal
L: Spinach chicken salad
D: Pork, sm. side of WG pasta, and cucumber slices

No wonder I'm hungry... I didn't snack today. However, I am SO sick of veggies, I don't even feel like snacking. Honestly, this past week I've eaten more veggies than I probably have in the last month! I am a true veggie hater. I could never be a vegan. No wonder I'm overweight... I love sugar and veggies.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:15 AM   #19  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Hi All,

Sissy, I didn't realize you adopted my word. I must have had a typo though becuase it's supposed to be yogi, not yoki! But I really like the 'K', yoki sounds like a cute name for yougurt-cucumber sauce. I think we should adopt it

Luv the lighthouse - As for hating the Veggies, that is a tough one. There are a TON of veggies on Wave 1, but it gets better on Wave 2. There are still lots though and they have to become a part of most meals. I actually like vegetables, but on wave 1 when I started tasting the iron in my mouth from all the broccoli and brussels - YUCK! I do eat them everyday though, but I add lots of yummy things to make them not so boring. I love italian food and I've learned that I can forego the pasta and still make yummy, healthy meals from veggies instead. I make my own pasta sauce with canned tomatoes (actually quite easy) and then I make eggplant parmigiana or portobello mushrooms stuffed with spinach and a little ricotta, etc. Veggies can be great if you just dazzle em a bit! Even a boring salad gets better with a yummy home-made dressing. I'm glad you are almost done with Wave 1 - it feels so good do move to the second wave! Good for you!!

I have been eating the greek pizza recipe for 2 days now. It made a surpisingly large pizza. No complaints though - it's delicious!! I went to another soccer game with friends last night. I stuck to plan with a glass of wine - well, 2 . I can't wait to get out of town!

For today:
Brk - 2 eggs and WG toast
Snack - Melon
Lunch- tuna salad pita sand and cherries
Snack- celerly w/ PB
Dinner - Meatloaf w/ steamed veg

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #20  

Actually, I have a shirt that I've been dying to wear. Maybe by the end of next week it will actually look good on me! Thanks for the reminder to put out my inspiration.

I'm feeling really good about today being Day 10. For the first time, I don't crave any sweets. Go figure, now that I can have them tomorrow.

BTW, how do you make your meatloaf? I'm wondering how to modify one I usually make. I'm also all jazzed up to try the yoki. Perhaps I'll make that this weekend.

Todays meals:

B: Go Lean Cereal
L: Shrimp on a bed of spinach
D: Shrimp Portifino (posted recipe if anyone is interested)

Feeling good, and hoping I don't need a snack later.

Hope everyone is feeling good.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #21  

Default Sorry, my post probably made no sense

It was another board I posted on, someone mentioned putting out an article of clothing you want to fit into as inspiration. So, that's what I was referring to w/my shirt.

Also, being new to this site, I'm still trying to figure out "who" I'm posting to. Which threads are indented, which refer to the original post, etc.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #22  

Good Evening All,

Posting later due to helping out at the former place that I use to work. Its only for a week so not so bad. I decided work is notmy lifestyle at this point in my life. Been there done that. My friends call me the spoiled princess(LOL)

Angela,I think we should adopt that word for yogurt. No,you didn't spell it wrong,my brain did not connect.Good grief, is this how one gets when the vintage years hit.

Luv, How I do my veggies now is roast them. The flavor is more intense and I put olive oil and red pepper flakes on them. It takes about 20 minutes according to what veg. you have. We like our veggies on the crunchy side. Also I take plum tomatoes and make sundried out of them. 350 oven for about 2 hours. I put olive oil,and seasonings usually fresh basil from the garden. Angela your ideas sound wonderful. That the thing you have to jazz them up. I love veggies. However I was like you Luv, when I started I thought OMG I can't eat all these veggies. But that has changed so it mustbe hard if you don't like veg.

Well enough of a book,want to relax but wanted to make sure I got my menu in today. Dinner was a little bit of a bust because I didn't like the leftover fish Yuk! I did get egg,coffee,veggies and some salad,not very appealing but tried to save DH some cooking time.

B............coffee,WG cereal,milk
S............blueberries
L.............eggs.salad.tomatoes, lettuce coffee
S............apple, PB 1 T
D.............above
S.............2 rye crisp,wedge of Laughting Cow LF cheese

Have a good evening everyone and a successful day tomorrow
Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #23  

Hi Everyone,

Well, it seems that for the most part, I'm figuring this thing out! One question: I noticed that turkey bacon is allowed. If I have turkey bacon and eggs for breakfast, how much do I get? I still can't totally figure out the plate thing.

I've lost 1 1/2 pounds in 3 days! I'm happy about that!

Lori
Old 06-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #24  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Hey gals
Lighthouse - losing the sugar cravings is the best, it is so freeing. Congrats!
As for the meatloaf, I use the leanest beef and lamb mince I can find and then use toasted whole grain bread crumbs or eggs to hold it together. I then just add typical stuff like onion, garlic and herbs. It's probably not the best Sonoma choice, but it's tasty and still on plan. Besides, everybody needs a little comfort food here and there and I can't think of anything better than meatloaf

Sissy - I love the roasted veg too. They are so easy and so yummy. I used to just associate them with nice restaurants but now I eat them all the time!

5sweeties- Good job on the weight loss! Turkey bacon is fine for Sonoma. I wish I could get some here in Scotland, but I'm afraid the butcher would look at me like I was nuts! As for portion sizing, I guess it depends on the size of your bacon, but I think 2 slices + 1 egg and a piece of toast would be perferct. I eat veggie sausages and toast sometimes. I have 2 sausages but forego the egg (I'm not a huge fan anyway). The sausages are good sized. The plate portions don't have to be exact, just close. Use your best judgment.

I am almost off to London - hooray!! I'll be packing tonight. I don't want to mess up my clean kitchen so I think I'll just have peanut butter and banana toast for dinner with a little prepared salad. I had a difficult lunch today. I was at a seminar where lunch was served. There was no veggies and no fruit at all . I ate half of a tomato and ham sandwhich, a few chicken fingers, and something that I don't even know what it was, just dough with meat inside. It wasn't very good and it wasn't very on plan either - I hate that!! It didn't feel appropriate to bring my own food, but I'm wishing I would have anyway. I thought there would at least be an apple or carrot for me to munch on! Darn....

I know my trip is going to be hard but I'm hoping to stay on plan at least some. I will let you know how I did when I get back on Monday. Have a wonderful weekend everyone
Old 06-15-2006, 09:06 PM   #25  

Lori congrats on your weight loss it feels good when something is working for us. Angela,have a wonderful week-end in London. I don't know why I thought you were there. Guess I didn't pay attention. That doesn't surprise me at all. I have to try that meatloaf sometime. It seems so late being I didn't get in until almost 7 tonight. One more day to work then only 3 left for next week.
My day was nuts too,had a order come in some of it was bulk and I had to package it in 1/2 lbs and 1 lb portions. A nurse came in and said she was doing the Rice Diet from Duke University. I told her about Sonoma and how pleased I was with it. A doctor owns the Health Food Store where I retired from so we see different patients and staff from the hospital.

I didn't get all my food in today but did the best I could with everyone coming in and out all day. My fruit is what I missed today. Got in the veggies and protein,grains,milk. Of course the coffee was right there being I brought a thermos with me.

I'm not posting the menu because I tired and making all kinds of mistakes trying to get it finished. Bread & PB,coffee for breakfast. Steak,spinach,coffee,mushrooms for dinner. Take care and everyone have a wonderful day tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #26  

Default Another day almost done... starting Wave 2

Hi everyone! Angela, hope you have a great time in London!

I started Wave 2 today... yeah fruit! It was quite a day for me too. Work was super busy, then I ran about ten errands, mowed the lawn, made dinner, etc. One thing I did tonight was switch my closet from winter to summer clothes. I tried on some clothes that were from my thinner days... and they are starting to look better already.

With the hetic day, I pretty much didn't have a chance to eat lunch. Also, I didn't have any WG rice in the house, so I did use reg. ol' white rice in my dinner... but again, it's just one of those things that I say to myself, "if this is a lifestyle change, there is going to be white rice a times in the future". (Helps to rid myself of the guilt)

Today's food:

B: WG Cereal
L: 1 slice cantalope and about 10 grapes
D: 1/2 Stuffed pepper and salad
D: 5 strawberries

I was stuffed at dinner. I thought I'd eat the whole pepper, but I didn't even need to. That's also why I moved my fruit to dessert time. I had to wait a few hours to digest my dinner. Actually, I think I like the whole concept of fruit for dessert... since I'm a big fan of dessert, I guess I may as well make it healthy.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:24 AM   #27  

Default Now on Wave 2....we're surviving!

Mornin' all....gonna try this again.....site logged me out while I was writing a "book".

I sometimes have difficulty with portion sizes also but I go to the recipe section of the book to see the list of ingredients....that helps. DH is doing very well. Doesn't feel hungry at all. We have been experimenting with all kinds of recipes. BTW, I made the Chicken and asparagus saute (p 259) and it was very good.

I imagine now that we are on Wave 2 that the big drop in weight will slow down drastically. Hopefully we won't get discouraged.

Luv, use your spices and seasonings for vegetables....be adventurous. Remember, this is a "healthier" way of eating. If we had eaten more veggies instead of that chocolate cake we wouldn't be in the pickle we're in .

Sissy: didn't realize dried tomatoes were so easy.....gotta try it. (Isn't retirement wonderful?)

Today's menu:
B = eggs, wg toast (we alternate eggs and cereal)
L = turkey, cukes, lettuce in wg wrap
D = tuna kabobs with mushrooms, zucchini, onions; green beans
S = ff yogurt with strawberries

Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:25 PM   #28  

Hi Everyone!!

How are you all doing?

Siss: Thanks for the heads up on where to go when we are in Treasure Island - we will for sure check them out! How did the rain turn out? Did you get enough or too much?? The yoki/cucumber spread sounds so good - I'm going to try to make it in the next couple of days.

Wish4fit: Thanks for the info on the turkey bacon - I bought some today and am looking forward to a couple of slices with an egg! I also bought some turkey sausage - hopefully it will be good!

Now for another question - Hummus - do you all follow the recipe in the book? Or do you have other recipes? I have never had it, but we have adopted twin girls from India and they had something called Dal which is very similar - they used beans and yogurt -

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Lori
Old 06-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #29  

Good Evening All

Sounds like everyone is well into the swing of things and going forward.Lori you'll enjoy the yogi/cuke combo. I have to make some more. Yes,retiredand lovingit nothing like enjoying the good life so we are indeed having a great retirement. Did you get anything from Alberto? Looked like the storm was heading right along the coast of the Carolinas.You'll enjoy the tomatoes and I eat them like a piece of candy,they are so good. Put them in pitas,on sandwichs,anything,in a salad. I put them in the refrig after they are cooked but take them out to eat room temp. Luv,it sounds like you are adjusting your life style and thats what its all about.

Well today was kind of a iffy day. Didn't plan it that way but then again who does.My intentions were there but got into some dried fruit,macaroon,watermelon which is on program and not the others things. Some of my food was okay. A little guilt crepe into the mix but I did get past that knowing if I allowed it to overtake me the trouble would really begin. So its hoist the sails and ride into the wind,success is there for the taking,stay at the helm and get past rough seas. Will check in with you girls tomorrow.

Would any of you ever guessed my career was weight mangement Looks like I am human
Old 06-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #30  

Happy Saturday, Everyone.

Sounds like we're all hanging in there . I did change my menu yesterday a bit. At dinner, swapped the green beans for spinach salad......I love my spinach....cold or cooked. For snack I had "candy".....ladies if you haven't tried this, you gotta. FROZEN GRAPES . I hate to throw food out and since there is only the two of us, a large bunch of grapes could go bad. I put half in the freezer....they are soooo good. DH had some FF yogurt with blueberries. He was happy.

I'm still confused about portions. One serving of fruit is 1/2 cup but in the "plan" it is sometime listed as 3/4 cup or 1 cup. I guess it's pretty much using your head. I still am "cheating" with salad dressing amounts or maybe not....it does say 1 tsp but if you add the vinegar and spices . I still have good luck shaking the salad with small amt of dressing in a bag or bowl with lid.....evenly distributes it.

Sissy...Alberto left us with a lot of rain which we so much needed although there was some downed trees and minor flooding.

Tomorrow is "weigh in" day for DH and me....keep your fingers crossed.

Todays food:
B = cereal, ff milk
L = turkey pita with veggies
D = lamb with eggplant, etc......gotta go searching for a recipe
S = strawberries with yogurt

Have a great day!
Closed Thread