Old 01-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #1  
Canada

Default New Study Results - Weigh Yourself Every Day!

From YOUR DIET Magazine
displayed until Jan 30,2006

Page 5: - "Daily Weigh-ins can keep pounds off. Tracking 3000 people for two years, a University of Minnesots study found daily weighers lost twice as much as weekly weighers."
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #2  
Crazy(ied) Mom?

Those scientists! Never know how to make up their minds! First we aren't supposed to weigh in everyday because it could discourage us, now we are supposed to! ACK! oh well, 15 years ago look how many things were "bad" for us...eggs, nuts, shellfish, every type fat including olive oil...all was supposed to raise our cholesterol levels...my grandma worked so hard staying away from those things after her heart attack and she KEPT having them! If we only knew then what we know now!
tearjerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:23 PM   #3  

Here are my two cents and the come from both sides of my mouth.

Years ago I did the Stop the Insanity Diet She said the throw away the scale and I did. I exercised hard and ate low fat and got into the best shape of my adult life. So, from that experience I think getting rid of the scale is ok. I kept the weight off for about three years and didn't have a scale the whole time.

The weight started to come back. Maybe if I used a scale I would have caught it early enough to make minor changes that would have prevented the need for me to be here now.

I joined Weight Watchers and had to buy a scale. I do weigh myself every other day and I think it keeps me very much aware that I can't let little slips in my program continue and still believe that I can lose weight.

The bottom line is that I really think it is a good thing to weight yourself every day as long as you are aware that water retention happens.

Gina
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:28 PM   #4  
ugggg.....

Myself...I am one of those people who can't weigh daily or I make myself crazy. I get too depressed if I fluctuate any and then go back 5 times a day and then I get frustrated and give up!! I have to stick with the once a week and force myself not ot do more....
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

This really isn't new. There is data from the NWCR that showed that people who maintained their weight within 5 lbs weighed themselves almost every day. I'd have to dig the paper out but you get the idea. Obviously, this doesn't work for everyone, but the vast majority do it.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #6  
Canada

I have been weighing in weekly last year and my weight is soooo easy to gain.. I would gain 7 lbs in a week and just die.. This year I am weighing everyday and it is so much more easier to handle. It goes up and down 3 lbs, but I try harder on the days it went up... which, even if it is water retention.. still helps me stay focused! So I guess it was nice to see this study come out. And that YOUR DIET magazine is really good! www.yourdietmagazine.com I think!
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1216
Myself...I am one of those people who can't weigh daily or I make myself crazy. I get too depressed if I fluctuate any and then go back 5 times a day and then I get frustrated and give up!! I have to stick with the once a week and force myself not ot do more....
It would drive me crazy too. I don't get depressed, but I doubt myself, and my food choices for the day, even though I know it's probably water retention.

Weekly has really helped me.
DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote