Old 01-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #1  

Default Halfway through January, already - how are things?

It was great to see everyone's losses on the first week, but let's also concentrate this week on some NSV - Non Scale Victories. Losses are wonderful, but they aren't the only reason we should be eating healthfully.

What other changes have you noticed since you've been following the Sonoma plan? How is your energy level? Any differences in your hair, skin? How are your moods? These are just examples of things that can and will be changing the longer you go.... And of course if you had a loss, let's hear.

Come on everyone.. dish!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #2  

So far to date I have a 4 pound loss, which is great, my personal goal was to hopefully lose 2 pounds a week, and I have done that.

Energy level is up, and I have noticed that my skin feels more hydrated. Haven't really noticed anything with my hair, but I'm hoping it takes on more sheen with the olive oil in the diet. I think that biggest thing that has changed non scale, is my appreciation for portions and quantities of food.
DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

I finished Wave 1 Friday and begin Wave 2 today. I had a couple of family events this past weekend and, while I watched what I ate, did not conform entirely to Sonoma Diet principles. That’s OK, though, because if I am careful I get great enjoyment from eating the same foods as others and do not feel any guilt. As I mentioned on the exercise thread, I did not exercise this weekend but that is also OK because I had 7 great workouts during the week.

Probably the biggest change I have made over the past 2 weeks is eating more vegetables and nuts. In September of 2005, I gradually began eating better and drinking more water, so starting the Sonoma Diet was not a radical change. I was getting into a food rut, so the Sonoma Diet was a welcome and wonderful change. I am enjoying the meal plans and recipes and do not feel like I am on a “diet.” While I previously experienced improved hair, skin, and nails, and even whiter teeth, my skin looks even better since I began eating so many vegetables.

I am “shrinking” at a faster rate than before and I am now in a smaller size! I am not sure if it is due to the Sonoma Diet, or if my previous exercise and eating are beginning to produce results. I suspect it is a little of both. My size 12s are snug, but I feel comfortable wearing them in public. This is really exciting for me because even though I exercised faithfully and watched what I ate during September and October, I did not see any results. My clothing fit the same, my measurements remained the same, and the scale went UP! Muscle growth, I know, but still hard to see. Then when I started seeing changes in November, it was so slow. So it is nice to see more rapid change. I actually look forward to my next medical check-up at the end of Feb. so I can see if there are improvements in my blood pressure and cholesterol.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #4  
Canada

I lost 6 lbs and it was enough to put me in my 16 jeans again.. although snuggly!! I am rewarding myself with some new Seven Jeans on Ebay. By the time they get here, They sould fit great!

Feeling really good, I do have a cold... so energy wise.. not so good right now! But check back with me next week! LOL
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #5  
it's always something

My taste buds are happy
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #6  
GARDENING ADDICT

I haven't been 100 % but have been eating mostly OP. I lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks and most notibly feel less bloated and I have more energy. I have been getting some exercise but today started my real exercise plan.
2BFIT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #7  
Lifetime WW - (5+ years)

Two weeks yesterday and down 6 lbs. The first 10 days really did curb my sweets cravings and I'm eating more consciously now. I got rid of all my treats, both salty and sweet and now enjoy almonds, fruit, or yogurt for afternoon snacks. I've also given up my 4-a-day diet Coke habit, in fact, I've only had two diet Cokes this year. I'm really enjoying the glass of wine with dinner and a couple of nights I've had a 50-calorie square of premium dark bittersweet chocolate with the last of my red wine. YUM!!!

Also, I'm sleeping better and seem to have more energy. Prior to Sonoma, I got sleepy by 9 pm, sometimes needing an afternoon nap. Now I'm able to stay awake later and haven't needed that nap since I started. Even my son noticed last week when he came over for dinner that I wasn't dropping off by 9.

I LOVE this!!! It really fits into my lifestyle, especially being able to enjoy whole wheat bread and rolls AND wine. AND, no counting points!!

TJ
chocoholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #8  
looking for size 12!

Dh and I started Jan 2. He jumped to wave 2 after a couple of days... he was going batty. I stuck out wave 1 for 9 days. We have 3 kids and are gradually switching them over to healthier eating. They still get mac and cheese or bread with no "crunchy stuff" If I am making something not very kid friendly (greek salads w/ chicken) I will modify some of the dinner so they will eat it. (chicken w/ a few lettuce leaves, carrots and leftover mac and cheese)

We did the whole kitchen clean out before starting... boy did that feel good! I am down 12 lbs. My only cheat so far was chocolate grahmn crackers... I ate quite a few one night.

I save time and energy by making 2 extra servings of dinner and packing that for our lunch the next day. My co-workers are drooling... One woman even offered to hire me to cook her lunches. LOL DH loves mediteranean pork chop and lettuce in a wrap. I love this food!

My non-scale victory is that I can close my car door and not hit myself in the behind!
newmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #9  

Wow! Everyone is doing so well!

This is day 7 for me and DH. I really feel good about what we are doing for our health and families health and habits. It will only get better from here.

I am not going to officially weigh myself until the 10 days of wave 1 are over. DH and I think wave 1 has been great for us and are considering staying on it (wave 1). What do you think?? Is that a bad idea??

I have noticed more energy. I have developed an allergy/sinus problem this weekend though and that often slows me down. I am doing ok and better than usual when this happens.

I just feel so darn proud!! Gina
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaXOXO
DH and I think wave 1 has been great for us and are considering staying on it (wave 1). What do you think?? Is that a bad idea??
Hi Gina! The only thing that would concern me about staying on Wave 1 indefinitely is that you would miss out on eating fruit. Also, Wave 2 has many more vegetable options. Perhaps you and DH could eat slightly smaller portions of Wave 2 meals? Or eat a little more vegetables and a little less of the other groups? I'd be interested to hear what others think because I like the results I am seeing with Wave 1 and thought about staying on it.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/161/139???

Height: 5' 3"

Everybody's results are awesome!

NSV- buying a pair of UK size 14 jeans in Gap and them being a bit big (but they were in the last of the sale at £12 so I couldn't resist, my boyfriend commenting on a new curve I have round my waist (in- not out!), loving the food and Linda's recipes.

SV- I didn't lose this week! Thought I'd been so good- the exercise has been off the wall- power walking 21 miles, 50 mins on cross trainer, weights session and 90 mins yoga class; portion sizes have been good and I've only had 2 glasses of wine since new year (which is my downfall) BUT THE SCALE HAS NOT MOVED. Oh well, I think that I've been a bit slack with Wave 1- thinking that as I was exercising a lot a square of chocolate wouldn't matter so am restarting for a week to get things moving. Heres to a scale victory next Tuesday!

Continued good luck everyone (we all know that luck has nothing to do with it!)

The seven jeans sound like really good motivation!
Clareh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #12  

I am on day 9, but we started wave 2 on day 7 because my milk supply (nursing) was slowing down. After months of repeated plateaus between losses DESPITE eating no sugar and no white carbs and no processed foods and exercising 6 days a week, I have lost 8 lbs. in 9 days. What is most important is the realization that, despite all my previous healthy eating, my portions were pretty large and I snacked throughout the day on a lot of nuts and raisins. Now I am snacking on veggies and my 11 almonds per day.

In response to staying on wave 1, I am wondering if you might consider switching around? I think that remaining on wave 1 puts you at so few calories that your body is sure to rebel at some point and plateau and maybe gain. What if you did wave 2 for 3 weeks or so and then did 10 days of wave 1 and then returned to wave 2? I am actually planning on doing wave 3 during vacation times (we are going on a big vaca this summer) and then following up that vaca wave 3 week with a week on wave 1. She notes in the book that you can return to wave 1 when you plateau. I think it is a good idea to use it as a booster when you plateau or when you have a bad week, rather than as a regular thing. Just my 2 cents.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

Hi all... So far for January, I lost 4 pounds in the first week, then I gained one and this past week, I turtled.. I think it took a couple of weeks for the holiday food issues to clear up... Hope to show a good loss next week.... Everyone have a great day... Barb
Indiacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #14  
Canada

So.. DH found my Fitday Journal... on my PC and saw my weight. Almost wanted to DIE on the SPOT! So we weigh exactly the same. Gross. More motivation! He wants to get to 185 so I guess its Game On.
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

Totally.. Nothing like a little friendly competition... is he doing Sonoma?? India
Indiacatz is offline   Reply With Quote