Old 12-01-2005, 08:03 AM   #1  

Default i think i am going to start following this style of eating

it sounds very healthy and quite good. i don't really want to go on a "diet" per se. i want to adopt a healthy eating regimen. it probably won't be terribly strict, especially at first. but i think i am going to start changing things over. i just ordered a book off of amazon... the omega diet. i also ordered the new SBD cookbook (i am not a low carber, i just like the sound of some of the recipes!).
i am very interested in the mediterranean way of eating (minus, of course, the very authentic stuff like fried lambs brains or whatever that was i saw in one of the books.

any other good book suggestions, or anything? i saw a site address on here that i wanted to check out, but if anyone has any other suggestions (for meal plans and/or recipes) let me know!

kindly
susan
shaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #2  
hara hachi bu

Thumbs up Hi!

I haven't purchased any cookbooks yet, but I've certainly found plenty of resources on the internet and in cookbooks I already have.

One site that I really enjoyed is MediterrAsian.com. Good ideas, recipe makeovers, etc.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #3  

Default Welcome

Actually, cooking this way isn't very difficult at all and most recipes can be modified to fit just fine. The cuisine doesn't have to be Mediterranean, per se, but you can have Med friendly Chinese, Italian even Med Friendly Pizza.

I spend most of my time at allrecipes and have a large review site , where I do mention the alterations I have made to each recipe to make it more Med Friendly. http://www.geocities.com/lindat3fc/recipes.html will get you there and if you click on the allrecipes link, you'll get to my review page there.

I've been eating this way for years and have lost most of my weight on this. It is so natural now, it is intuitive.

Good luck.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:07 AM   #4  

Thanks Phan..for that awesome website...
Organicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Check out the Phase II Recipes in the South Beach Diet Website on this site. There are many Med-type recipes there.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I am trying to classify a bunch of diet plans for something I am writing and I am having trouble with this particular diet. I am using the following classification scheme: low fat, low glycemic, low carb, or other. Would you put the Mediterranean diet in the low glycemic or the other category? I figured I'd ask the people who actually follow the diet what they consider it.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #7  
hara hachi bu

I would say it's low saturated-fat, probably not low-carb (but could be considered so).
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #8  

does that mean you would consider it low glycemic? like south beach?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #9  

Yes..I would consider it low glycemic but not low carb.
Organicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 10:54 AM   #10  

Thanks for the feedback ladies.