Old 09-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3

Default Ask a Question Answer a ??? Sonoma style

A couple of new people have popped in looking for guidance and information.
Someone found an old list of the power foods and foods groups which was very helpful. Lets try to keep that bumped to the top.

Anyway my idea is to post a question and answer a question about Sonoma. It might give us insight into what needs to be done.

My question is Do you or should I have a whole english muffin at one time.?
It fits on the plate (if I stack the two sides)for Breakfast
It has 110 calories slightly more then a slice of bread

My answer for Ping-Snacks on wave one, red bell pepper, shrimp,tea & baby bell cheese.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #2  
Yay!

S/C/G: 252/seeticker/195

Height: 1,83/ 6

If there is one thing I learned with Sonoma is to not look at calories. and yes you can have a whole english muffin..

for example, I now have a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter every morning on phase 2 yet i am still loosing..

Sonoma is based o what you eat not how many calories.. the whole wheat bagel is most likely going ot be digested faster than 2 slice of toast despite it is 350 calories and my 2 white bread is 150.

Anyways my 2 cents
Zofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #3  

But you didn't ask a question! lol

I don't count calories as I prepare a meal exactly but I am keeping a fitday log.
It happens that by following the 9inch plate rule I end up with almost the same amount of calories everyday around or about 1400.

which begs the question. If I started at 250 lbs and lost 75 would I need to change my portion size/?

Answer to unasked question Wave 2 your dinner plate should have 25%protein,25% whole grain 25% fruit and 25% vegetables
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #4  

Answering my own question. Yes of course a smaller person needs less food then a larger. Basal metabolism rate for a 175lb person over 60 is about 1400 calories so my diet meals now will be just maintaining at that weight.

So I have 7 months to figure out how to drop 100 calories from each meal.
And/or add enough additional exercise to keep losing a pound a month.

I have a 2mile a day walk to get out and do. Not happy about the weather but once I get going I should be ok. Walking to the library.

Question for next person. What do you do for exercise when weather turns bad?
(Don't forget to ask a ?question and answer a question.

Last edited by 2Bees; 10-05-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #5  

Glad there is going to be a new book out.

I get a free daily email from the Sonoma diet . I chose not to sign up for the paid support forum although that might be interesting for a bit.

I don't use the recipes from the book so I hope the newest book has more information on the nutritional values you should have and less recipes with spicy peppers.

What are you looking for in the new version?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #6  

My food list is expanding to include tempura vegetables,crab rangoon with cream cheese,sushi, and chicken lettuce wraps all at the same meal. food for 4.

Exercise was better, 3 miles walking, mowed lawn, mulched leaves, kitchen cleanup.

Am I mentally strong enough to go back to basics.? Will I do my 15min of resistance bands tomorrow? stayy tuned..
I have whole wheat high fiber fixings-will post my whole tHURSDAY meal list to keep me honest.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #7  

Made Navy bean soup. Since I'm not a very good cook it is only ok. I used ham but cut out the fat before I added it which might have cut out the flavor.
I used boxed chicken broth and lots of carrots. Maybe I'll throw in some cabbage for tomorrow.

Walked in Old town Alexandria along the river. Went to 2 open houses.
Need to clean up stuff at home. Down a lb to 202.

So how was everyone's week past?
Old 10-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #8  

Where do snacks figure in on the Sonoma diet.? I really don't find much info in the book although it mentions a small snack of nuts,very small portion for women. A bit of cheese..occasionally. I tend to snack every day hence the 1lb every 7-10 days. But I keep keeping on. Weight at 201-will record on Sunday
Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #9  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

OK I'm not so familiar with Sonoma, eating more like Mediterranean. But I do have an answer for one of the questions above.
Quote:
What do you do for exercise when weather turns bad?
I walk laps in the parking garage at work. It protects me from the heat and sun in the summer in Florida. And the rain.

Also, I've found some Zumba segments I like on U-tube. I can piece them together and do Zumba in my home using my laptop.

The snack question - I plan snacks into my day. One with protein; one with nuts. Portions are measured. Both can have vegetables included.

What new recipe are you trying to make your eating more interesting?
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #10  

hi Webrover Sonoma seems to be Mediterranean to me. Maybe restrictive as to breads.
answer to question Seafood. I have had more fis.h, shrimp and scallops since dieting. Very tasty meals-no hassle to cook and good for you. Better then the giant box of skinless chicken breasts I had.
Also have used whole wheat pasta, dressed with a bit of olive oil and then 1/4 cup of tomato sauce added at the last. And lots of mushrooms.

Hyacinth posted a good stirfry recipe in the Sonoma possibilities thread

my question. I pulled out a packet from freezer. i had cut a steak into 3 portions before freezing and the portion was just right tonight with a tomato and some pasta. This made me happy to have discovered a portion controlled dinner was not the end of the world. It was just enough.

What makes you glad you are on a workable food plan?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #11  

What makes me glad I'm on a workable plan? This seems to be a plan I can feed the whole family without having to make different food for different people. Family members may be eating in different proportions, but they're eating the same healthy things.

Also, by being "supposed" to eat certain foods each day, like legumes, as opposed to be "allowed" to eat them, these foods get planned into my menu much more often. Maybe not every day, but most days.

Question: What new food have you tried in the past month and what did you think of it?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #12  

OK I'll answer my own question: Tofu Soba noodles. And I made them with a recipe using chile sauce, which I'd only cooked with once before. Yum.

Do you enjoy exercising or is it some you have to push yourself to do?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #13  

I haven't tried anything new lately-at least that fits into the scheduled plan for SOnoma. I did have some pate for first time last week. Alone with pruchetto and cheese at a wine tasting so I've been eating well if not "well"

I did an exercise challenge in Oct to walk 62 miles and do 5 sessions of WATP video or resistance bands. I made my miles without whining too much but I hate those stupid videos. I am thinking about getting an elliptical machine for home if I can find one cheap enough. But no -I'm usually not enthused about exercise-it's just a chance to add 250 calories to my allotment to increase my deficits.
My question is kind of to myself-are you going to get anything done today or lie around.? Halloween is here- I hate opening my door so I am going to get out of Dodge for the evening.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #14  

Yesterday was busy (meal planned, made grocery list, went with teenager to get learner's permit, whole family early voted - teenager's first time, three grocery stores, teenager sleepover, dropped two off at a mall and picked them up). Today I'm focused on laundry and helping the teenager with college applications. Opening the door to the trick-or-treaters and seeing all the little ones in costume is something I really enjoy! So there'll be some lying around and some getting stuff done! [I also should clean out the bag I carry to work so it will zip up decently.]

Question: How often do you eat out at a restaurant in a typical week and is it hard to stay on plan when you do?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #15  

A new driver in the house oh boy
You are living in interesting times as they say.

I have been going out to eat more often lately but better places then when I was working -not so much fast food.50
If I go with my sister we always split a plate-automatic portion control. She lost weight two years ago and gave me all her 18/20 clothes. She is now in a size 8. I just don't believe there is an 8 in me but I will drop another 60 lbs to see
I did buy a couple of bottles of wine at the winery last weekend. A very dry white wine. The merlot and chardonnay were too strong for me.
When I go out for dinner I feel like I don't always get any fiber so I have been taking a fiber supplement.

I went out Halloween night=so no leftover candy issues.
My question dunno- whats for dinner/ i have to head out to grocery store.