Old 05-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #16  

BTW, I will come daily if you all do too!!!
laurie2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #17  
Passion Fruit!

S/C/G: 201/136.4/115

Height: 5 ft. 1 3/4 in.

I modify Meditrranean with FBD with South Beach. I'm in!!!
Sunny Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #18  

Hope everyone had a good weekend...It's kinda blah here in NH. I did pretty well over the weekend. We watched my brother's kids and my daughter had a sleepover so it was a full house. We had some pizza (the delivery-not-good-for-you-kind). I stuck to 2 pieces...YAY!
My husband travels for work and is MIA this week so will be making meals just for my daughter and myself. This is good and bad. Hard to make healthy meals for 2 but not tempted with bad choices that mh dh loves.
Today, I'm thinking 20 min. eliptical, some weights, and meals including whole grain cereal, a boca chicken sandwich for lunch, and grilled fish and brown rice with veggies for dinner. Throw in an apple or yogurt and I have a good day.

Hope you are all doing well!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #19  
South Beach Babe

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Hey all!

I've been trying a few Sonoma recipes here and there and so far I love them all (with one exception...the Easy Balsamic Chicken was really dry...however I did make it in the over and not grill it). I'm really considering committing to this plan for the summer and seeing how it goes. I do not have the Cookbook, but I do have the original Diet book, it was on clearance for $3.99! I especially like the Broccoli with Roasted Red Peppers and Goat Cheese...mmmm....my new obsession!
TinaTiny82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTiny82 View Post
Hey all!

I've been trying a few Sonoma recipes here and there and so far I love them all (with one exception...the Easy Balsamic Chicken was really dry...however I did make it in the over and not grill it). I'm really considering committing to this plan for the summer and seeing how it goes. I do not have the Cookbook, but I do have the original Diet book, it was on clearance for $3.99! I especially like the Broccoli with Roasted Red Peppers and Goat Cheese...mmmm....my new obsession!
How about sharing your recipe the Broccoli and Roasted Red Peppers ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #21  
South Beach Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
How about sharing your recipe the Broccoli and Roasted Red Peppers ?
No Problem! It is the recipe in the book:

Sauteed Broccoli, Roasted Peppers, and Goat Cheese
SERVES 4 (change servings and units)

* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 4 cups broccoli florets
* 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* 1 cup bottled roasted red pepper, drained and chopped
* 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olive
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
* 1 green onion, thinly sliced
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
* 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled

Directions

1. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet.

2. Add broccoli and garlic and cook until crisp-tender (5 - 8 minutes).

3. Stir in peppers, olives, parsley, green onion, marjoram, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Heat through.

4. Remove from heat and sprinkle with goat cheese. (I like to let the vegetables cook a bit before adding the cheese so it doesn't melt.).

Enjoy!
Old 05-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

That sounds delish and healthy, too
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #23  
South Beach Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
That sounds delish and healthy, too
Yup, it sure is! I tend to use 3 oz. of Goat Cheese though...not as healthy but soooo much better than a bag of potato chips I may add asparagus next time and see how it turns out.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #24  
Gaining Attitude

S/C/G: 205 / 193 / 145

Height: 5'5

Oooh yummy. Can I join too? My BF and I already eat leaning towards the Mediterranean side of thing and love it. Although lately I've been hearing how you should use your olive oil fresh (drizzled over the food last) and another oil better suited for higher temperatures to cook. What do you all think of that? I'd cooked with olive oil all my life but apparently the good stuff breaks down when you heat it. Hmmm....I do like it fresh though. We usually saute now in chicken broth or when we have to use oil have been using coconut oil.

Also - here's a new recipe (from back of lebini container) that we just tried and loved:

The Greek Gods Kefir Cheese Lebni (Greek Sour Cream) - 80 Calories for 2 TBLS

"A staple of every Mediterranean and Middle Eastern meal, Lebni can be eaten the traditional way, by drizzling olive oil over it and dried mint, and scooping it with pita bread."

We mixed ours up with cucumbers and really recommend using whole wheat pitas to impart a smoky flavor and use them as picnic sandwiches. Salt optional.

CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THE CHICKPEA SNACK RECIPE. At what temperature and h?ow long do you bake it for?
bobblefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #25  
South Beach Babe

Welcome bobblefrog! I wish I had an answer to your question, but I have no idea! Maybe the more experienced ppl here can help you out.

I had a question for all of you; have you tried the Spa Lean Cuisines that the Sonoma Diet recommends as a fast option? I've tried several and they are very tasty! Still, I wonder if it is too good to be true...the portions are great, they have twice the veggies of normal Lean Cuisine meals, 18-20g of protein, 3-6g of fat, and 220-260 calories. They also use 100% whole grains...yes, fresh is always best, but could these count as a healthy meal to promote weight loss?
Old 05-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #26  

so sorry...internet down for a few days :-(

I did write this while away tho..
This week I went grocery shopping for 2 weeks. I spent $262.00 which is not bad since some of my staples will last more than a month.

I got
4 lemons
bag of organic apples
lrg mushroom
golden raisins
lettuce
sunflower seeds
granola
blueberries (3)
blackberries (3)
strawberries (1 lg)

Meat
2 grd turkey
shaved roast beef
shaved turkey breast
2 lg chicken breast (that I cut into tenders)
veggie pepperoni and bacon
chicken sausage
boneless pork chops
bag shrimp

Grocery Items
Kashi Dk cocnt bars
Italian crushed Tom
2 Bush baked beans
Hot pepper relish
Light wheat bread
Ripe olives
Diet coke 5 12 pk cans- on sale
Smart taste pasta
Low carb lavash bread
Garlic herb tortilla
Organic raisin bran
Organic maple pecan
Wheat couscous
Brown rice
Medium salsa
Organic tortilla chips
Envirokids bars berry

Frozen Food
2 lg. Broccoli
5 healthy choice meals
WW chocolate ice cream bars
Fudgesicle
2 lg.Mixed veggies

Service Deli
Reduced fat feta
All natural hotdogs
Taboule salad
Hommus

Wine
2 bottles of red zin

Dairy
Free sharp cheddar slices
Free Mozz shredded cheese (2)
Laughing cow cheese(2)
Medium eggs
Fiber one yogurt
Simply smart FF milk

Candy
Dark chocolate
Old 05-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #27  

I love a lot of sandwiches in the summer and have been doing wraps. I USED to slather on the mayo but have realized that I was really just wanting some moisture and for the sandwich to not be too dry. I have been adding olive tapenade or hot pepper relish and olives. Both a very tasty with fewer calories than mayo and much better nutritionally.

For dinner, I am usually grilling some meat, brown rice or cous cous, and some steamed veggies. I love the 3 bean blends with a little lemon and olive oil.

Basically, I try to make it tasty, healthy and not too labor intensive. How is everyone else doing?

Your recipe looks great, Tiny!!

Bobble: You know I just read something about that. I use olive oil still most of the time but have heard that both grapeseed oil and sunflower oil have higher burn rates.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #28  

BTW, did a great dinner.

Grilled Chicken.
Now, we have a family of 3 so I cut up 2 breasts into tenders (always seems like a lot). I tossed them with about 2 tbs of Mrs dash Lemon Pepper and 1 tbs olive oil

Sauteed 1 qt mushroooms with spray olive oil

In medium saucepan boiled 1 bag of brown rice in Campbells Harvest Select French Onion soup and about a half cup of water

Microwave steamed 3 bean veggie with more of the Lemon Pepper seasoning and a bit of I cant believe its not butter spray.

Once the rice was cooked I mixed it in with the shrooms and added some of the soup for more flavor.

Was great!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #29  
South Beach Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie2275 View Post
BTW, did a great dinner.

Grilled Chicken.
Now, we have a family of 3 so I cut up 2 breasts into tenders (always seems like a lot). I tossed them with about 2 tbs of Mrs dash Lemon Pepper and 1 tbs olive oil

Sauteed 1 qt mushroooms with spray olive oil

In medium saucepan boiled 1 bag of brown rice in Campbells Harvest Select French Onion soup and about a half cup of water

Microwave steamed 3 bean veggie with more of the Lemon Pepper seasoning and a bit of I cant believe its not butter spray.

Once the rice was cooked I mixed it in with the shrooms and added some of the soup for more flavor.

Was great!
Ooooo, that sounds good, laurie2275! I'll have to try it.

Speaking of all things good, I tried Quinoa for the first time yesterday in yet another Sonoma Diet book recipe and it was FABULOUS! The following recipe makes a ton, but it's soooo good

Toasted Quinoa Pilaf

If you've never heard of quinoa, you're missing out! This supergrain is full of zinc and iron and has as much quality protein as milk! Add a bay leaf and some thyme, and you've got one savory treat.

PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 20 minutes
MAKES: 12 servings

Ingredients

2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or onion
6 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon minced)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups quinoa,* or barley, rinsed and well drained
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 bay leaf
1 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers, diced
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

1. In a large saucepan cook shallots and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until tender. Carefully stir in quinoa or barley. Next, stir in broth, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is tender and fluffy (cook barley about 10 minutes or until tender) and liquid is absorbed.

2. Discard bay leaf. Gently stir in roasted peppers. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.

Nutrition Facts per serving:
25 Cal.
3 g total fat (0 g sat. fat)
0 mg cholesterol
169 mg sodium
1 g carbohydrates
2 g fibers
4 g protein

*Note: Look for quinoa at a health food store or in the grains section of a large supermarket.

Enjoy!!!

Oh, and one more little triumph for me....Even though the gym was only open until noon today (and it's my only day off), I STILL WENT TO THE GYM!! Wahoo!!

Last edited by TinaTiny82; 05-25-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #30  

TT: Sounds Awesome. I had heard of quinoa and looked for it at the grosh but couldnt find it. Ill have to try the natural foods store here in New Hampsha.

How does it taste? Like rice?

Congrats on hitting the gym. We did wii fit yesterday and I plan on biking today. Feeling like I am coming down with a cold though. I am always soooo unmotivated when I even feel slightly ill.