Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 200/190/136

Height: 5'2"

Many thanks tinkerbell and petra!!! You both really helped. I am going to start over because it was a sugar problem. I really want to do this right, but also try not to kick myself for messing up!

I have the book, which I lent out to a friend, and the cook book. The website seem a little costly, but maybe in the future!

Thanks again & have a great day.
Ninfa
ninfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 AM   #32  

Height: 5'7

ninfa,

What attracted me to the Sonoma Diet is that I have known for a looooooooong time that white flour wreaks havoc on my body and blood sugar.....bloating, lethargic, sluggishness, and did I mention swelling.....I felt like I no longer had fingers but 10 sausages! Yet, it is the very thing my body craved......slowly, very slowly I began the switch to some whole grain products, like bread and cereals.

Why I am excited about this plan is that it doesn't feel like a diet at all....but a very healthy way to eat. One of the things I discovered and love is the Bertilli Plus pasta.....I actually made spaghetti sauce and poured it ovr the Bertilli plus rotini and the roasted ratatoulli (sp?) that I made from the cook book. Now a pasta dish like that would always have me cravin' more and swollen the next day.....but not this time! woo-hoo!

I joined the on-line support.....and plan to cancel after 5 weeks, which is the minimum commitment....so it will cost $20....so far, I am enjoying her daily emails and little tips....it helps to feel supported as I learn about her plan. I just need to cancel when 5 weeks are up....last year I spent a small fortune because I failed to cancel my biggest loser account...what a rip-off!

I must confess that I am devising my own eating plan.....a little bit of calorie counting, a lttle bit of an old WW blueprint....I like to think of it as a customized eating plan.

For instance, I like my fruits as snacks, not as part of a meal...so I divide my plate 50% veggies.....25% protein and %25 starch/whole grain carbs.

Well, just wanted to share a bit of what is working for me, for now. Today is my Day 10....woo-hoo....onto the next wave, but as I wrote, I am sticking with the wave 1 plate diagram.

Looking forward to some wine.....but may save it for Thanksgiving...as I am feeling good!

best wishes,
thinkerbell
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 200/190/136

Height: 5'2"

Thanks so much for sharing tinkerbell.

I honestly don't mind the lack of white flour. I do find it difficult changing my family. They are fighting me pretty hard with the bread and pasta. I finally purchased my own bread and pasta! I love it, but it's becoming a huge drag cooking two pots of pasta. I slip in whole grain anything whenever I can.

I know what you mean about it not being a diet. I really like the plate separation. So easy! Although, my doctor wants me to keep track of my calories -about 1200/day- which is coming out just perfectly! It's amazing! (Well, maybe not!)

Great idea about signing up for the 5 weeks minimum I may just do that.

Congrats on getting to Wave 2 and enjoy your wine!
Ninfa
ninfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:33 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I like the little food journal and the meal planner on the web site. I use both of those quite a bit but you can certainly do all of that on your own for free. I just like the convenience of it. Also, this forum has not been very active and they have some support there as well. A group of us have a Christmas challenge going on over there. I am participating in that. If this forum were more active, I might be inclined to give it up.

Ninfa, you should try cooking the Barilla plus pasta for the whole family. I have a hard time believing your family would actually be able to tell the difference.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #35  

Petra,

I got lost on the forum over there......what's the name name on the Christmas challenge thread? Maybe I can join?

BTW, can I make a confession? I had a huge slip last night.....and night-eating is my problem. I was taken over by a bowlful of shells and sauce that I had made for my DD.....I thought I could resist! My excuse is that I got my period..and I have noticed that carb carvings usually go up then....oh well!....I am back on plan today.

Ninfa,
I know what you mean about the 2 pots of pasta....and 2 pots to clean! But I think we are worth it! and maybe one day, our families we be on board....until then, I'll keep on making the 2 pastas.

best wishes,
Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #36  

petra,

I keep getting an error message when I try to find a pal or go to the mbs...did you have any problems with this?

thanks,
thinkerbell
Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #37  

yes, they did some kind of maintenance on the sonoma website last weekend and it hasn't worked right since then. The Christmas challenge thread is on Wave 2 I think you can visit wave 2 message board even if you are still in wave 1-at least other people have figured out how to do that.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #38  

Thinkerbell-wanted to give you an update on the recipes I tried.
The chicken, hummus, pita sandwiches were good. I used rotisserie chicken to make it even easier. The oven baked cassoulet-not my style. I'll eat what I have but don't think I'll be making that again.

I have some pork chops in that curry marinade right now. Plan to have those for dinner tomorrow night.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #39  

sounds delish! Petra

I made some split pea soup with sweet potatoes and an awesome salad....I splurged and bought walnuts and sunflower seeds. I broke out my george foreman-like grill and grilled some chicken breasts.

Still have not had the wine though....I guess I'm saving it for Thanksgiving!

I so want to be in Onederland by the New Year....5 more lbs to go!

OMG....I read her note about green tea and found a very yummy green tea with mandarin orange pieces by Lipton....I just love it....I've even been making a cold tea out of it with lemon....lots of water and anti-oxidants!

woo-hoo!

thinkervell
Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #40  

I made my pork chops tonight (couldn't do it last night for some reason) with indian spiced couscous (a cooking light recipe) and green beans and a glass of wine. OMG! Unbelievable!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #41  

Sounds yummy.....how did you make the pork chops?

Did you use whole grain couscous? If it's not too difficult I would love the recipe or a link to the recipe.

I am stuggling big time today! I feel exhausted....I really have upped my exercise this past week and thought I should be feeling better....but I feel so bodily tired and I'm afraid that I start to think about eating as a way to feel better. This is one of those danger zones....just trying to be aware and making it OK to have a rest day.

thinkerbell
Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #42  

The pork chops are a Sonoma recipe so you can get that off the website. It might be in one of the books too. I cooked them on my George Foreman grill instead of outside because the weather wasn't good.

Yes, I used whole wheat couscous. I particularly like this recipe because it only makes 2 servings and I live alone.
1 cup water
1/2 cup dried fruit bits (such as Sunmaid)
2 tsp light butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp tsp cinnamon
dash of ground cardamom
1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
3 tbsp thinly sliced green onions

Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in couscous; return to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer 2 minutes or until water is absorbed. (I just turn the heat off and wait 5 minutes-that works just as well)

Remove from heat; add green onions. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff before serving. Yield 2 servings.
Calories 241, Fat 2.7 g, Prot. 6.5 g, Carb 50.3, Fiber 6.4 g. Sodium 186 mg.

Hope you feel better Thinkerbell and hope everyone has a happy, sonoma friendly Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #43  

I have to tell you guys how excited I am this morning. Friday is weigh in day for the Christmas challenge on the sonoma board. I lost several lbs this week which I'm excited about but more importantly I'm below 220. I have not been able to get below that number no matter what I have done for nearly a year! It has just taken some consistency for going on 3 months now and slowly but surely it is coming off! I can actually feel my clothes getting looser.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:11 PM   #44  

woo-hoo for you! It is exciting when those numbers start to budge! and loose clothes too!

It does feel so good! Credit you!

I'm recovering from Thanksgiving...had a little too much wine! and too much stuffing and I feel it today. But I drank lots of water, went for a walk and had salmon for dinner....so I am getting back on track and I'm calling this Back Friday! LOL!

Really want to be in Onederland by the New Year....I downloaded that John Mayer song on my i-pod to keep me motivated....Your body is a wonderland!

thinkerbell
Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 192/187/150-ish

Height: 5'9"

Default New here, checking in!

Hi, everybody! I'm new here but, sadly, not new to trying to lose weight! My 3rd child was born 2 1/2 years ago. I was down to what I weighed before I got pregnant with the first one, but not in the same shape. Also, I've been about 30 pounds overweight since I was in college.

Anyway, I'm just finishing day 7 of wave 1 on Sonoma. I'm getting a little burned out on the cooking, cooking, cooking so I'm looking forward to being on Wave 2, which is a little more flexible. I made it through T'giving by sticking to plan all day until dinner, when I had a little bit of everything but only filled a 9" plate once. I kind of figure that for this plan to work for me I'm just going to have to accept that sometimes life is a little more complicated (I also have one kid who does gymnastics and one who does hockey). My own challenge with this or any other plan is that I'm allergic to citrus fruits. I'm okay with strawberries and a little lemon juice, but I'm pretty sensitive to orange and grapefruit. Also, if I don't have a plan, I tend to snack too much and gravitate toward sugar.

Congrats on all the progress so far! I hope everyone has a good weekend!
inafog is offline   Reply With Quote