Old 12-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #1  

Wink Queen of Sonoma Challenge

You can be the Queen of Sonoma!

This group is open to everyone. The intent behind this challenge is to motivate ourselves and each other so that we can follow through with our goals consistently. Sometimes being accountable to someone other than ourselves can make a difference. We will offer support, ideas, tips, caring and sharing, and motivation. Feel free to post as much or as little as you like. It is YOUR challenge.

Each week you will have your own personal challenge. This will be something you declare at the beginning of each week and will work on and track your progress all week. You can change it every week or continue with the same challenge week after week. We do ask that you report on your plan and progress because it is something we can all learn from. You pick what you want to accomplish or work on for the week (ideas are: controlling weekend/evening eating, negative self-talk, planning menus, exercise, trying new recipes, or any of the 5 items from the daily points, etc.)

Daily points (give yourself one point for each of the following you were successful with)

• drinking 8 glasses of water
• eating only from our Sonoma list
• planning your menus for the day
• exercising for at least 15 minutes
• checking in at 3fc and answering the QOTD
• focused and continued work on your personal challenge
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
Here is the daily template; you can just fill this out and earn your points. Just copy and paste it. Keep track of your points and at the end of the week you will be the Queen of Sonoma if you have the most points!

Name:
How many points did you earn yesterday?
Tell us something you did right yesterday—give yourself some praise!
What are you doing today to help with your personal challenge?

Queen's answer:
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #2  

Tomorrow we will report on how we did today. I am going to be Queen this week (until Monday). Petra, don’t worry I didn’t do too well either. This might be my only chance to ask my questions so I am going to take full advantage of it!

Remember to post on what your personal challenge is for the week (until Monday). Tell us what you are doing to set yourself up for success. Fail to plan—plan to fail.

Queen’s Query: Close your eyes and imagine yourself at your goal weight. What are you wearing? Describe it—how do you feel in this outfit?

Good luck! I really hope we all have a good week.

Gina
Old 12-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #3  

Name: Gina

How many points did you earn yesterday? 2

Tell us something you did right yesterday—give yourself some praise! Breakfast! I am doing really well with breakfast but fall apart after that. And I got in 30 minutes of exercise.

What are you doing today to help with your personal challenge? You might think my personal challenge is lame but I read a book that suggested this. I am going to work on eating a healthy lunch. In the book they said to work on one meal and then keep working on it until you have it figured out and it is a habit. I have breakfast figured out. So, I am on to the next meal. Dinner and evening snacks are going to be really hard for me to change. I am going to keep working toward success on all meals and snacks but work especially hard on quick but satisfying Sonoma lunches.

Queen's answer: Ok, I am wearing skinny denim jeans and a white sleeveless blouse that ties (under the bust line and in back) and cute boots. My hair is a little longer and a little blonder. I feel great! I am confident and so carefree I feel like I am walking on air.

• drinking 8 glasses of water (Yes)
• eating only from our Sonoma list (no)
• planning your menus for the day (no)
• exercising for at least 15 minutes (yes)
• checking in at 3fc and answering the QOTD (not started)
• focused and continued work on your personal challenge (no)
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #4  
I'm committed.

S/C/G: 177/177/115

Height: 5'2.5"

Name: Mary
Tell us something you did right yesterday—give yourself some praise! Made a really good stir fry--lots of vegetables, lots of color. Tasted good too!
What are you doing today to help with your personal challenge? My personal challenge is eating to plan after dinner, if I eat at all. After dinner is my black hole when it comes to junkfood and empty calories. Tonight I'm planning for a small bag of popcorn. And that's all!

Queen's answer: I'm wearing my spandex running shorts and a comfortable, small T-shirt (not my current t-shirts designed to cover as much as possible!). I feel fast and feminine (as opposed to my current plodding and built like a football player).

• drinking 8 glasses of water--yes!
• eating only from our Sonoma list--no
• planning your menus for the day--yes!
• exercising for at least 15 minutes--no
• checking in at 3fc and answering the QOTD--not started
• focused and continued work on your personal challenge--no
offthecouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #5  

Thumbs up

Hey Mary! We are tied!!

Evening eating is so hard to kick! That is when I especially crave/want junk food. I think you have a good plan for tonight. Popcorn has a lot of fiber so it might stick with you and keep you out of the kitchen.

I love the description of how you see yourself at your goal weight--fast and feminine! Sign me up for that too!

Gina
Old 12-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 167.5/166/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I can't wait to do this challenge and really, I AM doing it, but we are leaving this weekend to have Christmas with our families and I won't be back until the day after Christmas. I'm going to keep myself on the honor system and stick to it while I'm gone. Our families are real good about eating healthfully so it should be pretty easy to stay on plan while gone (crossing my fingers this is still the case)

Take care and have a great Christmas!!
Ann
Tea Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Well I only get 1 point for day one for my 15 minutes of exercise. I got really stressed out about something at work and went on a sugar binge. I have been planning meals but it went out the window.

I have promised myself that when I reach goal weight I will buy myself diamond earrings. I have always wanted them and at this point it doesn't look like a man will ever be buying them for me.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #8  

Question

Ann: have a great trip! You can't have any idea of my reaction to hearing that your family normally eats healthy. It is so different from my family. My Mom and Aunts are old fashioned . . . everything is from scratch but it is carb and calorie heavy. But oohhh so good! Those women can cook! Anyway, have a great holiday!

Mary: how did you do with the evening eating? How was the popcorn??

Petra: who needs a man anyway?!! I think it is going to take all of us a while to get on to this. The change we are making is really different from how most Americans eat. As a whole we have gotten away from eating healthy and moved toward fast food and junk food. I know I have and this is going to take some time. I am going to try to help us think about stress eating with the Queen's Query.

Quote:
When we are coping with uncomfortable emotions of any kind, like anger, sadness, or insecurity, or even when we are experiencing positive emoions, many of us reach for our favorite foods (which are, all too often, not the healthiest choices) to either comfort or celebrate. It is likely that we started developing this habit very early in life, when our parents realized the best response to crying or fussing was to pop something into our mouths and that ice cream made a very welcome reward.
Queen’s Query: What 3 things unrelated to food can you do in reaction to emotions that normally make you reach for the wrong foods. Take this list and post it on your refrigerator (I know embarrassing).

Last edited by GinaXOXO; 12-15-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #9  

Red face

How many points did you earn yesterday? 3

Tell us something you did right yesterday—give yourself some praise! I exercised—I am starting to enjoy it again, ok, it has only been 2 days but I liked it.

What are you doing today to help with your personal challenge? My personal challenge is to start eating a healthy lunch. I did ok yesterday but I didn’t plan it and I also ate off of the Sonoma list. I need to work on planning a healthy lunch. I am going to make some soup and put some left overs into bowls.

Queen's answer: I am going to try to make my list have things that I will really do.

1. Teach Jasmine a new trick or just play with her. (my maltese puppy)
2. Make a phone call
3. Do a load of laundry
4. If my mood is right jump on the elliptical

• planning your menus for the day--no
• exercising for at least 15 minutes—yes!
• checking in at 3fc and answering the QOTD—yes!
• focused and continued work on your personal challenge—half point??
Old 12-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #10  
I'm committed.

How many points did you earn yesterday? 4

Tell us something you did right yesterday—give yourself some praise! I really concentrated on eating lightly after dinner.

What are you doing today to help with your personal challenge? Well, today's personal challenge is history. It's after dinner, and I ate lots and lots and there you have it.

Queen's answer: Work on organizing my home office.
Do Christmas type stuff.
Call a friend.

• drinking 8 glasses of water--yes
• planning your menus for the day--yes
• exercising for at least 15 minutes—no
• checking in at 3fc and answering the QOTD—yes
• focused and continued work on your personal challenge--yes
Old 12-17-2007, 12:46 AM   #11  

Mary, again, I think it is so hard to make a change something that it can become so ingrained and natural that it has become mindless at times. We are trying to change habits that have become a part of our lifestyle--either at an early age as adults-maybe both. Take it easy on yourself and keep pushing to make these changes. Have you used anything on your list to help avoid reaching for food? Did you post it on your refrigerator? I have to admit that I did not post it. I am going to go do that right now.

Tell us something you did right yesterday—give yourself some praise! I used the journal at thedailyplate.com and was doing really well until dinner. Instead of making my planned healthy meal I started eating some caramel popcorn that I bought for a fundraiser. After that I did something that I normally do not---I quickly figured out that it was a trigger—and even after paying an inflated price for it I threw it away.

What are you doing today to help with your personal challenge? My personal challenge is to start eating a healthy lunch. I made soup that was really good. I need to do that more often!

• planning your menus for the day--no
• checking in at 3fc and answering the QOTD—yes!
• focused and continued work on your personal challenge—yes

Queen's Query:
Quote:
I was talking about habits to Mary and want to demonstrate that changing that has become our habit that has evolved to be a part of our lifestyle cannot change overnight and needs to be pursued diligently with persistence, determination, and a plan. We need to be consistent even when we are not doing it perfectly.
So, here it the QQ: Identify two of the habits that you believe derail your weight loss the most and then think back and see if you can identify when you started that habit or where it originated.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #12  

Hey Mary you have 6 points and I have 8 (I only had about 14 minutes to post to get my points from Saturday).

You are really helping keep me motivated and I hope this challenge is helping you. Come on Petra and ckatgo and post with us! And Ann (TeaTime) after Christmas we will be looking for you!

Gina

Last edited by GinaXOXO; 12-17-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #13  
I'm committed.

Gina,

Congrats, Queenie! I missed yesterday, but I will count my points today (for yesterday).

I think you're very smart to work on one meal at a time--breaking this job into small pieces is the only way to go.

The challenge is keeping me aware. Change my thinking, change my life! Slowly but surely.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #14  
I'm committed.

Tell us something you did right yesterday—give yourself some praise! I ate popcorn after dinner--that all!

What are you doing today to help with your personal challenge? Planned for popcorn after dinner, and that's all I had.

• drinking 8 glasses of water--yes
• planning your menus for the day--yes
• checking in at 3fc and answering the QOTD—no
• focused and continued work on your personal challenge—yes

Queen's query:
1. Eating after dinner--lifelong.
2. Lunch--Either getting too busy during the day to eat it or eating the wrong stuff--since I started working from home.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #15  

Tell us something you did right yesterday—give yourself some praise! I really don’t think I did anything right yesterday. My sister and I went shopping—all day—without food and then stopped for dinner. We went to a buffet that normally has healthy choices but they didn’t have anything. Also, I didn’t exercise. I was active but that doesn’t really count.

What are you doing today to help with your personal challenge? Today I had a healthy lunch and really upped the veggies. This was really good because I now have one healthy option. I plan to keep doing this as my challenge until I have 10 things for lunch that are healthy, easy, and I really like to eat.

Queen's answer: My two habits are:

Lack of planning: I don’t think I have ever needed to plan my meals when I was thin—I didn’t think about it. If I was hungry I ate.

Procrastination: I procrastinate a lot and I always have. I really think it derails me because I am always saying “oh well, I screwed up today, I will start again tomorrow”. I don’t really dig in and do the hard work.

• drinking 8 glasses of water (Maybe)
• eating only from our Sonoma list (no)
• planning your menus for the day (no)
• exercising for at least 15 minutes (no)
• checking in at 3fc and answering the QOTD (yes)
• focused and continued work on your personal challenge (no)