Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/265/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Nutritionist Recommends Mediterranean Diet

Met w/a doctor-sanctioned nutritionist today. My high blood pressure is still causing concern (I'm on 2 meds to control it) so my doctor had me meet w/the nutritionist.

Since I'm trying to lower my BP and lose weight, she recommended the mediterranean diet. She also referred to it as the "heart" diet.

There are plenty of books out there about the mediterranean diet, but wanted to ask the forum if there are any particular books they would recommend. I'm particularly interested in meal planning and recipes.

Thanks!
DB
irl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #2  
it's always something

Hi, welcome to 3FC

The Sonoma Diet is probably a great place to start! It's basically the Mediterranean Diet, but portion controlled for weight loss. The book includes meal plans and recipes, and there's also a Sonoma Diet cookbook that looks fantastic
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #3  

DB.

Welcome and the Med diet is a wonderful choice. I went on the Med plan once I got news my chol was borderline and it really turned things around. I never bought one book on the suject as there is plenty online about the Med way of eating. The Sonoma diet book Suzanne recommended is about the only one I've ever seen and used and if you really think you need a book those would be good choices.

Nearly any recipe can be turned into one suitable for the Med plan. Just keep in mind the primary componants: lean meats, whole grains, lots of veggies, good fats like olive oil, canola oil, nuts.. etc, dairy doesn't play a huge part but we still need to get our calcium, fruit also is a part of the plan. Also you will need to find some way to deal with the issue of portion control because the Med plan in itself is not a weight reduction plan, but rather a way of eating. The Sonoma diet combines the Med plan with a portion control mechanism of plate ratios. I personally calorie counted in conjunction with the Med plan. It's all about what works best for you.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:50 PM   #4  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

I have heard such wonderful things about the plan I am considering giving it a try. I have the med. diet plan book and it is good, with a shopping list in the front (the paper back version I have) I want to read the sonoma plan just to see what it says. I find it interesting a nutritionist recommends it.
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote