Old 09-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #16  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
I also think the "eating healthy is more expensive" meme is overused. Vegetables just aren't very expensive, they're filling, and they're loaded with nutrients. Ditto whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, etc. Meat seems expensive per pound, but not if you stop to work it out. For example, chicken breast is around $3 a pound at the regular grocery stores in my area (I know it's more in other parts of the country, but then again, other meats are cheaper). If you're eating the recommended serving size of 4 oz, that's four meals for $3. Makes those $0.99 value items at Wendy's seem like not such a bargain anymore, even if you ignore the health benefits.
Re the costs of foods: compare the price per pound of produce/meat/dairy with the price per pound of dry cereals or things like crackers or cookies.

The Tightwad Gazette has a great demo of this kind of calcluation. It compares the costs per serving of breakfast items.
mariposita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #17  

I know my food budget has gone down, well for one thing when you cut out fast food, fried food, processed food you can't do a lot of impulsive eating (ie, stopping at In & Out Burger or Del Taco!)

It's gonna go down way more since I'm planting so many cool-weather veggies & herbs this fall.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #18  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Unfortunately for me, the winter doesn't allow planting veggies since I don't have a heated greenhouse. Frost has already got to most things, even though we've only had a couple of cold mornings. It's cool today and supposed to rain - yay! but then get warmer again.

I'm finding I snack less on Sonoma eating so that cuts out a lot of expense too. I need to get back into making bread now that it's not so warm, that's cheaper too - since we go through lots between DH and the boys school lunches.

Jax
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #19  
My body in 6 mos!

S/C/G: 161/See Ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Default French Chic by Anne Barone

Bon jour Snowbunny! In addition to the book French Women Don't Get Fat book by Mirelle, there are three books by Anne Barone and a website that will be very helpful if you are interested in the french way of eating and living. She advocates eating whole foods stressing veges and fruits and watching portion sizes but you can have wine which is a great plus for me. The first time I starting eating the way she suggests, I lost 30 pounds and then stupidly stopped following her guidelines and began eating alot of fast food and gained it back. I'm back on it now and its working! When you get your FWDGF book, let me know what you think K!
deedee10 is offline   Reply With Quote