Old 05-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #1  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Default "Cheat-o's" (cheese crisps)

Very similar to the flavor of Cheetos. They are very light, like a puff of air, with a strong cheesy flavor.

Ingredients: 3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese (frozen)
How To Prepare: Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Put the frozen cheese in a food processor/blender and chop, until it's in tiny little pieces.

In a mixing bowl, blend the first three ingredients, at high speed, until whites form stiff peaks. Sprinkle the chopped cheese, on top of the egg whites. Then, with a teaspoon or a rubber spatula, fold the cheese into the egg whites, VERY CAREFULLY, being careful not to disturb the fluffy whites, but thoroughly spread the cheese, throughout.

Put mixture in a ziploc baggie, cut off the end, and squirt cheezie-sized gobs onto your cookie sheet. would suggest using a sheet of parchment baking paper, to line your pan, but if you don't...spray the pan, very well.

Lightly spray the tops of the puffs, with butter flavored cooking spray.

Bake at 300 degrees, for 30 to 45 minutes. The longer you can bake them (without them getting too brown), the crispier they will be. For even crispier puffs, turn off the oven, and leave them in the oven for at least 30-minutes.

Store in a tightly sealed, air-tight container.

Number of Servings: One Serving - approx. 25 puffs
Carbs per serving - 0.9g Carbs 24.3g Protein

Disclaimer from Natalia: I have not tried these yet, though I plan to tomorrow, but wanted to post as they look delicious and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find the recipe again. PS there were many reviews and all were positive
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

I tried this tonight, but it didn't turn out too well for me. Let me say, though, that it's MY fault and not the recipe's. I have no clue how to make a meringue (isn't that the same thing, pretty much??? whipping egg whites until they're all stiff peaky and stuff???) and didn't let mine get stiff enough. Ended up w/ a tray of runny liquid and cheese. HOWEVER, once it baked it DID taste good (tasted like a cheese puff) even if it wasn't pretty. I'll try it again one day when I learn how to make a proper meringue, LOL
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm not on South Beach, but I watch my carbs. I may have to try these since I love the name so much!!!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote