Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Core Chat for Dec. 4-10, 2006

Let's start over ...
Old 12-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #2  

So ... does everyone have their tree up? We don't. Nothing's decorated, nothing's baked, nothing's done. I'm starting to wonder if Santa Claus will even find our house this year. I've bought everything for the extended family but nothing's wrapped. I'm not kidding -- nothing's done. The kids just get money (or a ride in my car) so it's just a trip to the bank and I'm done with that part.

Shaun got his orders changed this morning and is now going to San Diego instead of Jacksonville. I think he would be okay with either place at this point -- just any place where he doesn't have to shovel snow every day. Apparently that's part of their duties, to keep the base free from snow. By hand. In 8º weather. It's a wonder they're not all sick.

My parents are going to be here on the 16th for Christmas with us, so I have to get cracking. At least I can get the carpet cleaners in on the 15th. I don't want to do upstairs with our carpet cleaner because it hasn't been done in a while so I want professionals to tackle it. It's not bad, but with dogs in the house there is hair embedded.

Speaking of dogs, Vickie, how is Cassie?

Our air here is dry and static-y, and my eyes and nose itch like crazy which means my contacts are driving me up the wall. I think I'm going to go to the salon and have my eyelashes dyed so I don't have to wear mascara. That would help tremendously.

What's everyone up to?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #3  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Well we are entering the deep freeze of winter - minus 10 today and icy out there - yes I do need to get my winter tires put on - but the places are all booked up! YIKES!

Dh has just advised me that he 'WILL NEVER TRAVEL WITH ME' - when only days ago he mentioned a warm weather holiday (mexican riviera cruise) last night when I provided him with options he began making all sorts of excuses - yes he is afraid to fly - will only fly on certain airlines and types of planes - so even if he agrees to come along it becomes a logistical nightmare.

So in the end comes the ultimatum - meaning I will now be travelling alone? (or w/kids or friends) - of course he doesn't like that either - and we are at a standstil I guess? I am wondering already about retirement - my plan is of course to hopefully be well enuf and financially sound enuf to travel - guess I'll be that little old lady travelling by herself? Today he is pouting and not speaking to me? (shouldn't that be the other way around?)

No tree yet and not sure if we will get one up this year - dh very lazy I guess? I did get a mountain of gifts from Avon which should cover most of his family so that's done. Not sure about kids chanukah/xmas presents yet (altho dd has been bugging me for a super expensive digital camera).

Work is crazy busy - and I am looking forward to those few days off at the end of the year. Wondering if I shall end up travelling (froufs always looking for those last minute deals) with a child or two? You never know

Eating is in a funk - not doing well - not following any plan - but trying to get away from binge eating - and letting things slide just because I ate one thing I shouldn't! Need to start exercising again too cuz that surely will help!

Happy belated Birthday Kathy - and congrats to Shaun for moving onto the next phase - good for him. I agree sunshine better than snow!

Sandra - welcome home - glad to see back and I really enjoyed your posts describing the events, places and people you visited.

Rhonda - where are u? Hope you have emailed me about dinner tomorrow night as I am expecting you in Ottawa for your conference!!!

Back to work I guess!

Frouf
Old 12-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #4  
focused and aiming

i have been in zombie mode most of the day. two hot showers have helped but i'm still pooped. i'm planning to go to wi in the am. send me blinks, please!!!

kathy, we don't have a tree up either. i doubt we'll do much, if any, decorating this year. we've already had our christmas party with our texas family. we'll prob go to curtis' daughter's up here. there's really no need for a tree at the horton house. curtis and i got to stay in officers' quarters back in 2000 at san diego. shaun should like it out there. i agree that sun is better than snow.

frouf, curtis is against going on cruises. he's also against my being away without him. looks like i'll never get to cruise the seas. oh, well.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #5  
focused and aiming

curtis called a few minutes ago and made us both appointments for massages tomorrow. am i lucky or what! we're going tomorrow afternoon. i still have wi in the am.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #6  
Melissa

Well I am SO behind in Christmas decorating because Aaron has been laying down laminate flooring!! Yippee!! No more skanky carpet!
I did manage to put up our new (bought it day after christmas last year) pre-lit tree last night, though I haven't decorated it yet. And Aaron managed to break a limb off of it already. But he says he thinks he can fix it.
I'm still trying to get pregnant. No luck so far. My cycles are all screwy and I'm not sure what's going on.
I'm trying desperately to get through with school. I still have two papers to write and then I'm done. I've decided not to go back next semester and it's a great relief.
PC is slow right now but that's been my choice. I'm SO busy and overwhelmed with school that I'm just trying to get things done right now.
I think that's my life in 30 seconds.
Missed you all.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by septembersgoal View Post
I'm still trying to get pregnant.
Sweet! Keep trying!

I talked to my mom tonight and she might be having a blood transfusion tomorrow, so they probably aren't coming here on the 16th. I told her don't worry, we'll just come there and all go out to a restaurant. She's in pretty bad shape.

I think that Judd and I are going to the Mongolian grill tonight. I just absolutely can't think about cooking right now. I'm making chex mix when we come home, and some other stuff, to take to work tomorrow. And besides cleaning up a little, that's all that will get done tonight.

He just knocked on the wall -- my signal to "come hither". I'll be back later.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #8  
focused and aiming

melissa, i hope you make me a cyber aunt soon. this is exciting! keep working on it!!

kathy, i'm sorry about your mom. keep us posted. i hadn't realized she was still having trouble. i guess i have been in a bubble lately.

how was the mongolian grill? we have one here but i've never gone.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #9  

We ended up going to what I affectionally call the "Chinese pig trough". It's a Chinese buffet ... with a little bit of everything. I ate only one plate though, and it was all acceptable. Mainly it was chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, and shrimp. I drank water and don't think there was any damage done.

My mom sounds really bad. Actually, Sandra, you aren't that much out of the loop. After her surgery, she was doing well. Then last Saturday night her chest was hurting and she went to the ER. They kept her and ran all sorts of tests. She also had gained 10 pounds in the last three days, which they assessed as fluid build-up. I'm wondering about CHF ... They gave her something to get rid of the fluid and some iron, and re-did the blood tests yesterday. Results are due tomorrow and if she's still low, she gets a transfusion.

Meanwhile I have talked to Kate and I do believe I've convinced her to move back home. She really must save money, and Judd has already said he would welcome her back. I jokingly told her I could use the help with housework ... but really, she's in this area every night anyway visiting her friends. This means nothing to anyone but Sandra, but she works near Alliance Airport, and lives in north Arlington. Her friends are in Mansfield though, so that's quite a hike. Most nights she ends up leaving her friends' house(s) and coming here to sleep. She might as well not pay for that apartment in n. Arl. if she's not going to stay there. She's thinking about it.

I'm making Chex mix to take to work tomorrow. It smells very worstershire-y in the house right now.

Good night to all my friends.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #10  
focused and aiming

kathy, that does sound like chf. i hope all goes well. as to kate, yikes!! at driving across the metroplex every day, especially when you don't have to do it. she should move home for sure.

we had a light dinner. tomorrow am is wi. after that, we're going to fling some arrows then go to lunch then to have our massages. life is good.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #11  
Southside White Sox Fan

Ok....no throwing tomatoes....my tree is up and decorated....my cards are written and mailed.....my presents are bought. I still have to clean my entire house from top to bottom, wrap, bake, make a menu for the day after Christmas celebration with the family and then execute that menu. Sheesh...I was feeling far behind until I read about all of you!

I'll be back tomorrow if I can. I can't believe the activity tonight.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #12  
focused and aiming

vickie, it feels more like christmas just reading about all you're doing (and have done) to get ready. makes me smile.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi All:

I'm back in Toronto, and it's so nice to read your messages.

Frouf, I'll get in touch tomorrow. I've lost my email about when my flight is tomorrow morning and completely confused our dates as you know from my personal message to you! And, Sandra, I'll write more later.

We had a wonderful trip, wedding and honeymoon. Core? What Core?!!

I'm pleased that Sandra posted the pictures and I'll post more pictures as they come. It's late, so I won't write much but, it was great to meet Sandra but sorry to miss meeting Kathy.

Sadly and unexpectedly my sister died last Sunday, the day after we returned from the honeymoon. She had experienced bleeding in the brain 5 days before the wedding so she couldn't come. But, she was recovering and I was looking forward to going to New Mexico to see her when we returned from the cruise. My only decision was whether to fly on Sunday or Monday. As Doyle was taking me to the airport on Sunday afternoon, my nephew called me on the cell phone to say that she had just died. I went on out to NM. My niece came the next day and we began the process of sorting through her things and all the other things you do when someone dies. We're still in shock, as you might imagine. I'll probably go back in a few weeks. She had requested no service and we'll respect her wishes.

But, there is a need to be around loved ones during these times. So, hold on to one another...kiss those husbands, partners, babies, grandbabies. My sister was totally devoted to her beloved late husband and she died on his birthday.

Whew.

Rhonda
Old 12-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #14  
Southside White Sox Fan

I've got a crazy day today so I'll catch up when I can.

Kathy, I hope it isn't CHF for your Mom. If it is, I hope they caught it quickly enough to treat it.

Rhonda, I'm SO sorry about your Sister. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I'm always careful to be generous with my loving thoughts and words with those I care about. I've had a lot of loss in my life and do not want to have any regrets. You're a wise woman.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #15  

Oh, heavens! Rhonda, I am so, so sorry for your loss. That is just horrible.

Vickie, we don't have a tomato throwing icon so you're safe. Oh wait ...

There. Take THAT!

After looking at my list, and deciding that I had done nothing, I realized that actually nothing HAS to be done! I did my Christmas cards last year the week between Christmas and New Years, so that was already done. We aren't cooking Christmas dinner at my house, but will be going to Tyler on the 16th and going to a restaurant since my mom's not up for cooking, and then we'll be at Judd's parents' house on Christmas Eve and Day. If nobody is at our house, they won't know I haven't cleaned or decorated. So ... I guess I feel better.

The only thing I really plan to do is make loaves of bread for the neighbors. I have my cute little personalized bread sacks and I'd be crazy not to use them. There are only 12 other houses on our street, so I can make 12 loaves of bread in a day if I get an assembly line going. The girls will be gone on the 17th so that sounds like a perfect time for it. Hopefully it'll be a very cold day since the oven will keep the house warmed up.

Better get cracking. I'm excited to see everyone here!!
Closed Thread