Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #46  

Snow Sandra!! Even way up north where I am we are not expecting snow for a while yet..holy cow!!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #47  

Height: 5'7"

Uh, we aren't expecting snow anytime soon either. But it IS in the low 90s, so that's a cold front for us.

I managed to get thru the night without going crazy, but I think there's too much stuff in my head right now. It's going to explode! I was glad to get to work where I could do something that will (hopefully) take my mind off of it all. My worry list, which I thought was getting short, has grown again.

On a brighter note though, I'm looking forward to my lunch. Breakfast was ick; I don't know why I can't remember that I don't like Canadian bacon. It's just too darn salty for me! I hate salt anyway and so something like this that would taste salty even to the normal person is just brutal for me. I would rather do without than eat it, so I think I'll make some potato soup and cut it up in there. I wouldn't have to add seasoning to the soup, that's for sure.

It's a quiet day in the office; seems like everybody's rundown or something. I have plenty to keep me occupied but now keep finding more stuff to goof off with. For instance, on Vistaprint there are free postcards. For the oversized ones, like I got for my journal cover, you get 50. I'm ordering them to make a department recipe book (everyone will contribute recipes). I'll take them to Kinkos for a spiral binding, which is $4 per book, and then the people will just pay $4 if they want a recipe book! Sounds simple enough ... but the hard part is choosing a design for the cover. Oh well, I'm up for the challenge.

Back to work for a while. Where is everybody this morning?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi:

I'm loving the snow talk...people in Texas always joke about Canada being COLD..then I tell them to think about the northern and north-eastern U.S. Buffalo NY gets much more snow than Toronto does. It's getting cooler here though. It's 50F in the early mornings. We don't normally get snow until Halloween or even later.

I spent much of yesterday on the email about family matters. The short story is about how to take care of an older family member who is being manipulated by care-givers and trying to figure out how the rest of us can get more control. It's not easy, as you either know or can imagine. There's not enough wine in the universe to cope !!

Sandra, you, Curtis or anyone can dance however they want at my wedding...shoes, no shoes, socks, no socks..just dance, dance, dance!

Rhonda
Old 09-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #49  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks!

We were at Jim's shoulder doctor appointment. He still has inflammation and there is nothing to do about it for now except for him to continue to do his exercises, take Aleve, and ice. If it's not better in 6 weeks, then the Doctor may give him a cortisone shot to finish relieve the inflammation.

I have smoke coming out of my ears right now so I can't catch up right now. We told the pool guys they could not come without calling and could not come today at all. They were supposed to come yesterday but it poured all day. I left a reminder message at the office yesterday afternoon telling them that it would have to be Wednesday because I wasn't sure what time we'd be home today. Well, the pool guy called, we didn't answer and he came anyway. So they jumped the pool fence (which made me mad) and then took the hinges off of my shed to get to the winter cover which they hoped was in there. So what part of don't come and breaking and entering don't you get? Of course, pool guy is blaming the office and I've called two different office numbers and no one is answering. Does no one understand customer service? Grrrrrr....harumpf....and other bad words too!

I guess they aren't calling me back because of the two very mad messages I left?

I'll be back later when my blood pressure returns to normal.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #50  
focused and aiming

well, the weather guesser is calling for snow down to around 3500 feet the end of the week. last night he kept talking about going straight from summer to winter type weather. he said there may even be a little snow mixed with rain in the valleys. our house is around 3500 feet. we live on the side of a mountain overlooking missoula valley. most folks around here are dreading winter's coming. curtis and i are anxious for it to get here. we're tired of the smoke.

sorry about talking so much about the weather. i'm feeling like i'm retaining water today. guess that's all right. i'm hoping to be down at least a pound by fri's wi. i'm doing well op. i've had about 10 waps this week so far. i need to slow down on using them.

kathy, i'm glad you're having a quiet day at work. try not to worry about things too much.

rhonda, i'm ready to dance, dance, dance. i can empathize with what you're going through now with family matters. we're in the midst, too. now where's that wine!!

vickie, i'm picturing you with smoke coming out your ears. i'd be livid, too. can you charge them for damages?

i just got home from getting my hair cut. now it's time to make lunch. i'll be back later. have a terrific tuesday, girls.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #51  

Height: 5' 10"

Default HI All

I am in much better spirits today than yesterday. Sarah had her first gymnastics lesson this morning after her dentist appt. It was her second dentist appt, she did let them polish her teeth this time, but not the flouride. Not too concerned, there is always next time. Her gymnastics class was so cute - 5 little 3 and 4 year olds doing the bars, trampline and balance beam. I'm glad I chose that class for her, she is going to love it. I then took her to Wendy's for lunch. I wasnt' going to have anything, but at that time it was 12:30 and I did have a small chili. I'll have to look at Dotties site to see if I can guess points. She then fell asleep on the ride home and has been down for over an hour now, I'll have another hour to myself. I love my Tuesday's home. I was supposed to go to an off site today for work, but chose to fib just a bit and told my boss my mom couldn't watch Sarah. Felt guilty for about one minute.

I'm going to add to the weather discussions - I actually turned on our heat this morning. It was around 45 degress outside last night, this morning the house was about 58 --- when dd started to complain, I turned it on to 62. DH called me a whimp! Kathy, can you bottle up some of that heat and send it to me, say in January?

Rhonda and Vickie, on the wine front - isn't it a fruit????? I do enjoy my red wine.

Melissa, my dh eats most dinner that are core. Sometimes I just give him a couple of rolls if I make rice or couscous - he won't eat that. But all of our other dinner foods are core, he is none the wiser. But when I lost my weight last year, he did lose about 10 pds without knowing it. My dd also eats brown rice, whole grains, whole wheat pasta. I'm trying to stop cooking her separate meals, its going to take some time.

Who ever mentioned cola chicken, thanks for the reminder. I haven't made that for while, also the diet coke sloppy joes.

Well, off to take care of a few chores while Sarah finishes her nap. I'll go post my menu for today as well. Bye.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #52  

Height: 5' 10"

Just checked Dotty's -- Wendys small chili 3.5 pts. I made an EXCELLENT choice! Also, it was on the 99cent menu and was plenty for lunch. What a deal
Old 09-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #53  
focused and aiming

paula, you did make a wise choice with the chili. congratulations.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #54  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Talking Frouf In The Caribbean!!

Hi chickies,

Sorry no time to read posts but hope you are fine and well!

I am having a great time on board. Today is a day at sea and we are cruising to St. Thomas - I am so excited - we are going to ferry over to St. John for some gorgeous beaches and snorkelling.

I am eating like a little piggie tho - the food is outrageous - lobster tails last night, tiramisu for dessert- of course a smoked salmon appetizer and pumpkin soup! I have also discovered a new love for sushi (and awaiting the 5 pm opening of the sushi bar as we speak).

Tonight is past guest party - I get to dress up and have more FREE drinks, appetizers and mingle with my new friends.

I am hanging out w/cruisemate Andrea - my new buddy Ray from Las Vegas (he is a hoot and we are having a blast) - and 2 ladies from Montreal at our table, 2 ladies from Toronto and Mike from CHICAGO!

I am exhausted as I am trying to squeeze everything in - dinner is from 8:30 til almost 10:15 - then the show 10:30 to 11:30 - then late night comedy (midnight to 1 am) - then a visit to see Ron pass in the piano bar (www.ronpass.com). A full day - and I am not sleeping too well cuz I am too excited. We are also experiencing some rolls due to the swells on the ocean so I am walking like a drunk frouf.

Sending wishes to all of you - wish you were here! Don't want to come home!

Frouf cruising the North Atlantic!
Old 09-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #55  
focused and aiming

vickie, i was downstairs watching tv when i realized i hadn't answered your post about dancing. when did you do dance competitions? were you an adult? i am very very very impressed. what kinds of dancing did you do? i'll bet you had a lot of fun--and i know you got a lot of exercise.

frouf's having a great time, isn't she? that makes me smile.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #56  
Southside White Sox Fan

Ok.....the smoke has cleared a bit but I'm still darned grumpy. The pool company never called me back. Maybe because I left 3 VERY grumpy and detailed messages!

Patti, we won't have snow for a long time yet either. It's really weird here right now. Normally by now we are starting to get cool and crisp. Instead it's damp and muggy. Spring weather instead of Fall. Very weird.

Kathy, Jim and I are salt abusers. Maybe I should get myself some canadian bacon! So now in your spare time your doing an office cookbook. Dear Lord Girl, can you just not rest? Are you hyper in person? I'm now picturing you as someone who can't sit still. I'm surprised you can sit at a computer all day long. Or....maybe that's why you have so much energy to run around when you get home. It's all pent up or something. Hey BTW, GF....you are in charge of sweeping Detroit. I think you start playing them tonight. I'm counting on you!

Rhonda, I'm sorry you have all those caregiver issues. It is SO hard. My Mom suffered with Alzheimer's for about 9 years and it was tragic. Fortunately, she realized what was happening and put my name on her home and gave me Power of Attorney for all matters, legal and medical. I'm the youngest but I was home with her after my Dad died and we were friends. She trusted me to do the right thing by her. It really is a huge trust issue for older people. That and the fact that they don't wish to give up their independence for as long as they can. I hope it all works out for the best for you. BTW, sorry....wine is not Core but thank God for WPA's, huh?!!!

Sandra, I hate the thought of you having snow already but it might be a worthwhile exchange to get rid of the smoke and fires. I was a young adult when I competed...probably around 1981 so I would have been 25. I mostly competed in Rhumba and Waltz. I really had a ball and it was truly great exercise. I know I was eating horribly in those days and really never gained any weight. It's really great that you came up with some indoor exercise that you enjoy. I never even thought of it as exercise. Hmmm....I wonder if I could convince Jim. Too bad it's so expensive here.

Paula, I would loved to have seen you DD in her class. I'm sure they were all just adorable. I'm glad you're feeling better today. It's tough to stay on program when you don't feel great. Great job on chosing the chili. That's making the best of a bad situation. I'll have to remember that. I always liked Wendy's chili. Can you still get it with beans? I haven't been in any fast food place except Chipotle's in over two years.

Frouf, I am SOOOOOO excited for you and happy that you are having such a great time! I must know where Mike is from in Chicago. You know Southside/Northside......Sox Fan/Cub Fan. I've never tried it but I think sushi must be pretty darned near Core. Have fun Frouf. We miss you. And....I'm also glad that Andrea is turning out to be a great travel partner.

Well Jim went to Chipotle to pick up our food. I'm going to go make myself a small bit of brown rice now. I probably won't be back until morning.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #57  

Hi All:

I went to two interesting lectures today as part of the course I'm involved in. They were both about nutrition. I learned that the part of the nutrition label that is on most foods now and gives you the percentage needed for daily intake is unreliable. In the U.S. the percentages were established in the 1960's for young men and they have not been changed. In Canada, the recommendations are from the 1980's. SO, don't trust them.

The other thing I learned is a lot more complicated but essentially it is this: diabetes and most cardiovascular disease can be prevented/"cured" by diet to at least the same extent as the use of statins. The research has been done by Dr. David Jenkins, here at U of Toronto, with others. It requires radical diet changes that perhaps most people won't do. But, basically it is a diet of nuts, fruit and vegetables, soy products and whole grains.

The research subjects had to eat 5.5 Kg of food each day which was another problem with compliance to the diet. They are continuing to refine the research with more subjects, etc. You might be able to find references to the research by using his name on the internet.

Years ago, a physician named Pritiken claimed the same thing, with a similar diet, exercise and meditation. I didn't get the chance to ask Dr. Jenkins about this, but I assume it is similar. Dr. Jenkins is the person who did the basic research behind the glycemic index diet...that is, he developed the index which others converted into diets and recipes.

I doubt that most of us and the ones we love will make such radical changes but it's fascinating to know that such diseases can be so affected by diet.

Have a good night everyone...

Rhonda
Old 09-12-2006, 08:53 PM   #58  

Height: 5'7"

Rhonda, I'm looking that up. I'm a firm believer in the Sugar Busters plan and also believe that Type II diabetes is preventable (or make that, could have been prevented) with the proper diet earlier. My family has an extensive history of diabetes and so that's why I really pay close attention. If any of you have never looked at Sugar Busters, you should. It is pretty much Core, minus white potatoes and plus nuts.

I just now got home. Vickie, I just have to laugh at your comments! I don't think of myself as busy, just as doing stuff all the time. I've never been much of a sitter, which is why I was underweight for 40 years until I started taking all sorts of wacky medicines. Thank you, modern doctors!

I missed my lunch today because I was squirreling around doing other stupid stuff, so was REALLY hungry on the way home. I needed to go to the grocery store to restock the carrots, dill dip (love that stuff and I totally blame you, Vickie, because I can't find the FF and have to count 2 pts for regular), FF cottage cheese and tuna. Then I bought some gas for $2.25 a gallon! I was SO excited! It was really $2.35 but with my Tom Thumb Reward card I got an extra 10 cents off because I shop there so much. Spend money to save money, I guess. I came home and saw that Erin wasn't here (I think she has an evening lab tonight) so I went to Taco Bueno and got MexiDips and Chips for myself and a chicken quesadilla for her. I'll give her my chips and eat my beans and guac with a fork along with some sliced tomatoes that I already had.

Now I need to check email and make sure the dogs are sufficiently pottied. I also should wash/dry/straighten my hair tonight but that's still out for a vote.

Now, Frouf ... I heard something the other day that I think you should totally consider. It was on Snopes (I was looking up something else) and read about an old lady who lived on a cruise ship instead of going to a nursing home. It was cheaper, the food was good, the room was small but hey, who stays there much anyway? -- she got to see shows and meet new people, travel ... what's not to like?

Okay, found it. Here you go:

http://www.snopes.com/travel/trap/retire.asp

So cool, huh?

I'm off to eat and watch House on TiVo. I love that show.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #59  

I've already said "good night" but I'm back to brag. I was so lethargic but decided to put on the exercise DVD's. I did the WW one at high intensity then one mile with WATP.

NOW, I'm ready for bed

Rhonda
Old 09-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #60  
Southside White Sox Fan

Way to go, Rhonda! I wish my ankle would get better so I could exercise too.

Kathy, I'm more and more interested in the glycemic index. I just bought the new Prevention book. Jim is controlling his type II primarily with diet. I was counting on the Rangers. They let me down.

Hey speaking of baseball.....what happened to Stacey....and Niki?
Closed Thread