Core Support Board for Week of August 15 through 20, 2006

You're on Page 1 of 8
Go to
  • We were supposed to start a new board on Sunday! Here's some new pages to write on.
  • That's so funny that no one even noticed for two days.

It's already a cruddy day at work this morning. I walk in and get bombarded with demands and other junk. I'm really done with this place. I'm praying fervently for a new job!!

Hope all of you have a great Tuesday.
  • Good morning, Melissa! Thanks for the new pages, Vickie. I really think having a weekly thread will help us keep up with things better, and also help out those who are on dial-up.

Not much happening here; I'd better get to work since it looks like everyone else is busy and I'm slacking!
  • Good morning ladies! I don't want to make Kathy feel bad, but yesterday's weather was absolutely AMAZING! It was cool (like high of 82), breezy, beautifully sunny, and clear blue skies. Wow. Gorgeous. As I was outside hanging up my laundry, I just stood there, enjoying it. And then someone shrieked "Mommy!" and I had to stop, but still.

We're driving out a camp this morning to check it out as a location for our church women's retreat. I think it'll work out great.

Dd #2 (the one headed to Kindergarten in a week ) is about to lose her first tooth. She's not sure about the blood aspect, but she so wants to be "big" I think she'll be OK.

And, on the gaming front, I am really enjoying not playing during the day. I have SO much free time. I did just get invited to a high-end raiding guild (which means nothing to you guys) but it's pretty prestigious. The neat thing is, they raid after my kids go to bed, and I only have to play like 2 times a week.

Anyhoo, I need to get going so we'll be ready to go on time.
    Later ladies,
    Angela
  • Too late. TOO LATE! However, I will not begrudge anyone their nice weather; I'll get some one of these days. We do have four seasons here but they are: Sorta Hot, Really Hot, Scorching Hot, and Christmas Day.

Angela, a high-end raiding guild??? Say it isn't SO!! You're right, I have no earthly idea what that is but it sounds mighty impressive!

I really must get cracking on my water drinking. I have been really bad.

Oh and the report on the bread is this: I made four small loaves and two large ones, and brought one of each to work. They liked the bigger one better because it was more dense. The difference is that it didn't rise as much for some reason, and I baked both batches for the same amount of time but I think the smaller loaves didn't need that much, and I wrapped the large loaves while hot and that retained a lot of heat and thus increased the moisture. Other than that, the actual recipe was the same. Next time (tonight?) I will use a stout Guinness. I'm getting this recipe nailed down and then will stop experimenting with it.

Back to work...
  • Hi girls, I am just waiting to go pick up our 10 year old granddaughter to take her shopping for another outfit for Build a Bear. It all the rage here in Canada for the girls to have these bears with their outfits. I am sure you guys have these stores also. We are keeping her for the night as her brother has gone with his friend to a Condo on the water.

Vicki, I know what it is like to worry, hubby says if I don't have anything to worry about then I am worried that I don't. My Mother also used to say not to worry until the day it is suppose to happen then you can worry for just one day. Easier said then done, but it does help.

Melisa, I hope you are able to get another job, it is stressful for you where you are.

Angela, how was the Camp for the Womens Retreat? Our Church is taking a group to T.O to hear Billy Graham's daughter speak.

Kathy, let us know which loaf turns out to be your best. Do you come home from work and bake? I think you will have to tell us what Vitamins you take

Sandra where are you this fine morning, glad to hear you are back on track. You are doing so well, 20 lbs. wow.

Saundra have a great time in Picton this weekend. Our son is coming this weekend. We were going back to the cottage but we will wait until he goes home

Waving to the rest of you and a big welcome to the new gal Stacey. Jump in and enjoy these gals, I am enjoying the chatter. They are real nice gals. It takes a while but you will feel part of them very quickly.
    Blue Skies,
    Rose
  • Rose, if you are able (sometime soon) I would really like to see pictures of the cottage and surrounding area. It sounds really beautiful there!

The Build-A-Bear thing started after my kids were grown so we never did it, but I'm sure when the grandkids (okay, IF there are ever any!!) come along I'll be taking them there. We have one in the mall here but since I don't go to the mall, I've never been in the store.

I do go home and bake; usually after I've made dinner and while I'm cleaning up from it. I don't have help at home and so if it gets done, I have to do it. I usually get home from work between 6 and 7, then cook, clean up and do my laundry or other chores while I'm getting things ready for the next day, go to bed around 11 or 12, get back up at 5:30 or 6 the next morning to start all over again. Oh, and I don't take vitamins. I've tried several but they all make me feel weird.

Judd has requested macaroni and cheese with broccoli tonight. I have several boxes of whole wheat rotini and packages of FF cheddar, so I'll probably make a big enough dish so that we can have it tomorrow night with a different side dish, and I can bring it to work too. I was going to make mushroom lasagna but he wants this, so the lasagna can wait. Salad is already made.

Okay, back to work!
  • Hi again: Well you must have something going for you as you sure seem to be able to get things done.

If you would send me your email address I will send pictures. You can send it by private mail if it suits you better. I am just learning to send pictures but I was successful in sending them to Sandra and Saundra.
    Rose
  • hi, chickies. last night after the club meeting, curtis and i stopped at famous dave's to get a cup of soup. we changed our minds before we got through the front door. he had fried catfish fingers, cup of beans, pecan pie and ice cream. i had the appetizer rib tips. it was a lot of food. we called this our treat. sat when i ate 32 pts, i never ate anything "good." i was craving something special. the rib tips took care of that. plus, i have a tummy ache today from eating them.

kathy, i copied your recipe. it sounds wonderful. i'll make it soon.

melissa, by all means go apply for that job. life is wayyyyy to short to be unhappy.

rose, how are you doing today? are you feeling more satisfied? it's not quite 20 yet. more like 18+. we were at the archery center this am. curtis was coaching a young man we met there. we just finished lunch. i had pinto beans, sliced onion, jalapeno, and a polenta cake. life is good.

angela, our temps are good, too. however, we have a lot of smoke in the valley.

vickie, i'm sending good vibes to you and jim today. i hope he qualifies and is chosen.
  • Afternoon chickies,,,,
    thinking good thoughts for Jim and Vickie today....
    Melissa I hope that new job comes soon....
    Rose your cottage sounds like a wonderful place to be. Build A Bear sounds like so much fun for the kids too
    Sandra Ive never heard of rib tips?
    Welcome Stacey!!!
    Im sort of off next week before we head back to work full time again. I have to put in 9 extra hours in the next two weeks..shouldnt be too hard. Then dh and I are off to visit both dd's for youngest Dd's 19th birthday. Cant wait to see them again. Heading out labour day weekend. Im hoping to hit another farmers market that way. (northbay area)
    Off to make a burger for supper here..
    ttyl
  • patti, i think they are just very small pieces of ribs. there really wasn't a lot of meat on them, but i got full.

sounds like you will be busy for awhile. i'm glad you're getting to see your dd's.
  • Hey Chicks! We're home and VERY disappointed. Too many people showed up. We left the house at 6:00...3 hours before the beginning of auditions. But the town was so far away that it took us almost 2 hours to get there. We were in the thick of traffic going to O'Hare. I should have known better.

I drove because Jim was a little nervous. We finally got to the lot and it was full. They said there was no where else to park. We tried to park in a college but they wouldn't let us in. We ended up parking in a steak house restaurant parking lot that was closed today. We walked back a mile and a half to the place and got in line. It was the ugliest kind of walk; no sidewalks and very uneven terrain next to the highway. I was VERY hot and sweaty and trying not to complain. We stood in line from about 9 until after 12 when they finally realized that there were too many people. We were standing outside in the blazing sun (it wasn't that hot but the sun was intense). I was actually sweating standing still and I hardly ever sweat, not even on the treadmill. Kathy would have thought it was a cool day! Of course, today, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. There was no place to sit and no shade. It was at one of those jousting places called Medieval Times. I thought we would be inside in a big line. I never dreamed that we'd be outside. And then there was the walk back! We even heard that people flew in for the day since the audition was close to O'Hare! So we got home around 2:00 and had a bite to eat and a nap.

I was SO hot! Jim is just fried in every spot that was exposed to the sun. He hasn't been out in the sun at all this year because of the shoulder surgery. I'm even burnt and I have a bit of a tan from the pool. I never thought about sunscreen because I thought we'd be inside this huge castle in a big old amusement park line. I couldn't get cool when I got home and after my nap I really felt sick. So I told Jim I was hopping into the pool. I ended up being in the pool for an hour and a half. It REALLY lowered my body temperature and I feel much better now. Jim said he saw steam from the pool after I jumped in!

Anywhooooo.....so much for our dreams of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. If it comes back to audition again, we'd do it much differently. I'm gonna go sit with Honey Lamb now. He said he really wanted to win the money for us. I told him we'll go to the boat. Why do I feel like we deserve something nice after all of this?

I hope you all had a great Tuesday. I'll be back tomorrow.
  • Oh Vickie, that stinks! I'm sorry you guys didn't even get to try out. At least it wasn't really hot...heat exhaustion/stroke is nothing to monkey with.

Angela
  • Terrible disappointment! I'm sure you're both mentally and physically just exhausted from the whole day!

Yes, I would have probably enjoyed the temps though. I see where the high was 81 there today; it was 104 here with not a cloud in sight either. I could really stand some 81 degree weather, especially since we're usually hotter than that for the LOW of the day (overnight). Stinks, huh?

Get some rest!
  • Vickie - sorry to hear about the non-tryout - what a bummer - and you would think they would provide some shade/benches - do they really expect people to stand outside in the hot sun for 3 hours plus? Sounds to me like you did get a bit of heat stroke but glad you were able to cool off in the pool.

Kathy - we all know you are amazing - and we love you (and hope you will send us some beer bread! - but really that crack about the 'stout' ale was really uncalled for! LOL)

Melissa - sending good 'new job' vibes your way - if anyone deserves it you do! Definitely try for anything and everything - you never know what might happen!

So Angela - this raid of yours - is it like a panty raid? (do we get to run thru the boy's cabin and grab all their boxers??? - like we really want to do that? NOT!)

Saundra - weekend weather report is fabulous and I know you will have a great time in Picton!

We are supposed to have warm sunny weather for the next 5 days (today it was clear and windy in the am but quickly became overcast with big ominous gray clouds by noon).

Was on a most boring course this morning - okay it was necessary but really what could have taken maybe 1 hour took over 4!

And it looks like (keeping fingers and toes crossed) that I may have finally found a replacement for my staff member who left - young man from Winnipeg - sounds pretty chipper and all references good - now trying to get him here by Sept 5 - which will be challenging - I already NEED him as I am pretty lost on my own - don't realy know what I'm doing (but I can sure fool 'em)

Went to the gym after work and had a very good workout - but did have a slice of pizza at home - however did not overeat or go crazy which is good. I had a bit of a headache when I got home - took 2 ES tylenol and now feeling better but so tired! Really need to get to bed early - but I am dreading dd's return home.

Dh has gone to pick her up from friend's house and she is already asking me about going to some concert tomorrow night - frankly I just want to tie her up and I'm tired of fighting and arguing w/her about concerts, etc. She sure has a hard time understanding she is only 14 and I am her MOTHER so I get to say what goes.

I know as soon as she gets home she will up here in a flash - first asking nicely then the whining, crying - possibly some door slamming and who knows what else - frankly I am so tired the thought of this makes me want to cry!

25 DAYS TIL SAILAWAY - and that, my firends, is what keeps me going!

Frouf