Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #1  
Melissa

Smile Core Board Chat #42

A new week, a new chat thread!
Happy Monday everyone! It is pretty dreary here, but the boss is off today and I plan on not being stressed. I'm going to try my best anyway. I'm so tired today but I have class tonight, so I won't be going to bed early! I have a pretty good feeling that I won't get much rest over the next few weeks, between writing papers for school and packing and moving. Yikes!

Kathy, don't try too much and work too hard today, although I know it is incredibly frustrating to be stuck in the bed. Could you work on a quilt or something to pass the time??

Vickie, the entertainment center is really pretty. And huge! You must have a really large home.

Saundra, it sounds like you've had a great weekend with your family. How exciting that they're moving home.

Sandra, you are still op and going strong aren't you? Good luck this week.

I'm typing from memory guys, you have to forgive me if I have forgotten things.
I hope that everyone has a great day, and the start to a fabulous week!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #2  
focused and aiming

good morning!!! i was just about to post my reply to 41 when i decided to peek to see if someone had started us some new pages. thank you, melissa.

good morning. what a big surprise i had when i got up today!! snow everywhere!! doesn't look much like spring here. guess the rosebush pruning will have to wait a few more days. i don't think we'll be camping this coming weekend. we will just drive to the mountain resort (archery site) and curtis will shoot while i sit and gossip with folks around the lodge/registration area. should be fun. we'll get to see a lot of archery folks.

kathy, i saw your weather report on tv. sure is warm for this time of year, isn't it? i hope this doesn't indicate a severe summer like 1980. how's your foot today? i am in moccasins on both feet today. this is first time since surgery.

coco, i'm just guessing your body has adjusted to what you're eating/doing and you might need to shake it up a bit. (but what do i know?) let us know how wi goes. i'm sending you .

vicki, i guess you're at wi now. to you, too.

well, i need to go eat bfast now and also start my food journal. have a wonderful day, everyone.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 172/148/142

Wow Sandra, snow! I guess you guys are used to it up there. It's sunny and cool here. The cabin getaway sounds grand (and romantic).

Nothing much planned today. It's quiet around here after the company.

Hope all are well,
Old 04-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #4  
Melissa

Coco, walking 22 miles is awesome! I can't believe that. You're bound to show a loss, or at least your pants will start fitting better! That is a great NSV, you should be proud.

Sandra, here I am sweating and you're sitting in snow. Your weekend sounds like a lot of fun, too. I think I may need to start a food journal as well. I've just been using our menu threads as my "journal" of sorts but I'm not always keeping it up to date. I found some interesting things on flylady.net that you might be interested in. I'll post them here.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:27 PM   #5  

Good morning all! I'm exhausted today...I've been staying up late, etc. Lorena loves her house. She said it was very beautiful. She's having a bit of a rough time...her little brother called her yesterday, crying, saying he missed her, and that was very hard for her. But I think it'll work out all right. She said the cold here (like 50-60 degrees ) isn't too bad, because people's homes are still warm. She said when she was in Bogata, she was always cold because the people don't heat their homes.

I think she's pretty exhausted too...she hasn't slept much in the last few days. My BIL is back at work today though, so maybe today she can sleep!

Angela
Old 04-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

First I'm going to post this picture for Sandra. Can you believe it!?! This is what they woke up to this morning!

Now I'm going to go and read posts, and will be back in a minute.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #7  

Ugh -- it's going to be 100 today! Can't believe we're having that on the same day that Sandra had snow! What wacky weather. If it's another summer like 1980, where people were dropping dead all over the place from the heat, I'm not going to make it thru. There were 42 consecutive days with temps over 100.

Coco, that's amazing that you're walking so much! I'm sure you'll see a loss soon and hope your DH's tummy problems heal soon.

Melissa, are you getting rid of all the food in the house so you won't have to move it? I saw your food post and wondered if that's what you're doing. Enjoy your boss-less day.

I'm not going to do much today but need to clean out the fridge or have someone do it. As for the carpet, I had more energy last night than I do right now so it'll have to wait.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #8  
deleted2

Exclamation New Girl WIth Questions!!!!!

Hi There!!!!

I have some questions I was hoping you guys could help out with

I just did South Beach for a week and it worked during the week (after I lived through the headaches ) But I'm not sure the loss was worth the misery it took to get there.

How difficult is it to fit The Core Program into a family life with 12 & 14 year old boys? Eveything on South Beach seemed like a major cooking project, is The Core program like that? I have some basic Core information my Mom let me borrow but it doesn't say anything about Daily Calorie Counts (there has to be a limit right?)

Anyone willing to share what kind of results they've seen in a month or two of starting The Core?

Thanks in advance for any help. I need to do something but I don't think South Beach is for me.

Angel

Old 04-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Afternoon Chicks! I see I didn't miss much while I was out galavanting this morning. I had breakfast with my Sister and BIL this morning and they are set to take care of Cassie while we are at the hospital on Wednesday. We are still waiting for the cable people to properly take care of our HDMI cable connection. Ugh. Are they the stupidest people in every city or just mine?

I didn't go to WW this morning. I may go later this evening or I may just wait until next week. My head is spinning with all my appointments. I'm up some so I hope I can get it back down.

Sandra, I can't believe you had snow this morning but your deck and hot tub with that great view looks SO cool. You are a lucky girl. I'm sorry your camping is cancelled but it sure does seem like you have a good replacement idea.

Kath, don't work too hard on that refrigerator. We don't need any setbacks. So you never answered my question. Did the knot on your ankle go away where you banged it?

Angela, it will take Lorena some time, I'm sure. I'm so happy she liked her home and I know you will make her feel very welcome. I cannot imagine leaving my family and moving even to another state let alone as far as she has moved. Maybe he can come visit some day?

Coco, with all that walking the weight should be falling off of you. Are you eating enough? Are you following all the guidelines? I know it sounds funny, but maybe you aren't getting enough food.

Saundra, you sound tired. I hope you're well.

Melissa, I thinking I need to be better about updating my menu postings during the day. I'm now trying to update it first when I come to the site to read. Starting today, I'm going to also keep track there of WPA's used and AP's earned and used. I'm hoping that will help. I think our house is about 2500 square feet. The family room is 15 by 20 and the entertainment center is one the 20 foot wall. I think the EC is 10 feet wide. If we were on Sell This House or Designed to Sell, the hosts would be saying "get rid of that monstrosity!". But, we love it and we aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The Amish Furniture Gallery still hasn't returned my phone call. I'm only giving them until tomorrow after we come home from the Dentist.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #10  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hi Chubby Angel and Welcome to our little corner of the 3FC world! I did SBD too and found it to be difficult and a trifle froufrou! I LOVE Core and lost 45 pounds fairly painlessly between September 2004 and October 2005. I'm stalled now for a variety of medical and stress issues that I cannot blame on the program. I know that as soon as I go back to working the program, I'll start to lose again. I have about another 120 pounds to lose. I followed all the rules faithfully (water, healthy oil, veggies, fruit, dairly and exercise).

As far as cooking goes, I find cooking to be much easier on Core than on SBD. I really can't explain why because the programs are similar. Maybe it's because it's been such a long time since I tried SBD. We have many, many, great recipes on our site and almost all of the ones I've placed on the board can freeze well. I even have a pizza casserole and some other casseroles out there that I belive would appeal to 12 and 14 year old boys. We also make Core Cola Chicken that everyone who tries it thinks it is fantastic. I really believe I can eat Core for the rest of my life.

Of course, you may know, that you cannot eat uncontrolled amounts of food. You are supposed to stop when you are satisfied but before full. This is something that I'm still trying to be better at since I like the full feeling.

I hope this helps. We are a great bunch of people and welcome newcomers. If we can help you more, just let us know.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #11  
Melissa

Sandra, that is BEAUTIFUL! I know you don't want anymore snow, but what a view you have there.

Kathy, yes, I'm trying not to go to the grocery store and use up all the stuff in the house! Not that it's a big deal to move it, but I hate to go to the grocery and continually buy things when there's stuff in the house. It's just not core stuff! And of course I'll need to go when I get to the new house anyway, so why do more work than necessary? I hope that you are feeling better and can move around a little bit. Be careful!

Angel, welcome to our little corner of the world. I did SBD for awhile and had those headaches too! I think core is easier cooking-wise than SBD. There are still lots of "convenience" foods like instant brown rice, soups, etc. that you can eat. I think it could easily be done with your family, but I don't have kids so maybe someone else should answer that. What makes it easier is that you can still have potatoes, cereal, brown rice, and you have the 35 weekly point allowance as well. My recommendation is that you go to a meeting to get the info or order the material online. Good luck and hope you join us!

Angela, glad that Lorena likes her house. I'm sure it must be a very difficult adjustment for her! But it's so sweet all that you did for her. I'm sure she is very appreciative.

Back to work. One more hour and then off to class!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #12  

Vickie, the knot went down but there is a bruise and sore spot. I'm not going to worry about it.

I sent the papers to the doctor's office so they can fill them out and send them on to the disability office. I wrote that I have a followup appointment on May 3 and hopefully can be released then. If that's what they fill out as a return to work date, that means I'll be home for another two weeks.

I crutched to the wheelchair, then rolled into the kitchen and found something to eat (leftovers from Friday night at Razzoos). Ate a few bites, got a diet A&W and then Judd walked in. He was tired of being at work and wanted to go play golf so he came home to change and just now left again. He said he would call when he's done and see what I want for dinner. What I want is a new foot.

Vickie, I hope you make it to WW because I know how much you enjoy it. If there's a gain, I'm sure it's teeny and of course, temporary. You'll do much better when all these issues are resolved, which I hope is very soon.

Melissa, enjoy your class tonight if you can. I know you'll be tired but try to enjoy it anyway!

Welcome, Angel! I think you'd like Core, and there are plenty of things for your kids. In fact, I think Core foods are more like "normal" foods than most other plans and are easier to incorporate into family meals. Lean meats (like rotisserie chicken, baked chicken breasts, meatloaf, hamburger patties) along with corn, mashed potatoes made with skim milk and no butter, all sorts of beans, salad, vegetables ... the possibilities are endless! You can even have baked potatoes with FF sour cream and cheese (and of course the family can have regular sour cream and cheese if they prefer). Breakfasts are easy: scrambled eggs, oatmeal, canadian bacon, etc. Snacks are the hardest but still possible to do. 94%FF popcorn, unsweetened applesauce, SF/FF pudding and fruits of all kinds, SF jello ... things like that.

Take a look at the recipe section and you'll find all sorts of things -- lots of crockpot recipes too. I think it's all things your family would like. And again, welcome!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 172/148/142

Vickie, you are so perceptive. I didn't sleep well last night and feel sort of stressed today. I'm sure I'll catch up tonight and be back to cheery self then. Thanks......
Old 04-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #14  
focused and aiming

oops! saundra, i didn't mean a cabin. i meant more like a restaurant/bar; however, there are cabins there. we will just be driving up for the day--no overnighting. i am planning to "splurge", though, and have some regular diet cokes. normally, i drink caffeine free cuz of archery. i hope you're feeling better now. that vickie is very perceptive, isn't she? i have to confess i didn't notice till she pointed it out.

melissa, i'm looking forward to the flylady tips. thanks for sharing with us.

angela, i'm looking forward to hearing your lorena reports on what it's like living in bosnia. very interesting.

kathy, thank you for posting the photo. i used to have a t-shirt that read "i survived the summer of 1980." i remember that time well.

vickie, i understand about not wanting any more obligations than necessary. you'll do fine op wise. just be careful.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #15  

Sandra, I think Lorena is from Bogata (Colombia) ... or at least that's what I always thought. I'm sure either place is very interesting.

I remember those t-shirts! I was fortunate enough to have left Arlington in Dec. '79 and moved to Beaumont and was there for the summer of '80. It was still hot and with all the humidity from the coast, probably just as bad but the temps weren't as high. I moved back in Dec. of '80 and have been here ever since.

The scale was 145.6 this morning in spite of the big Easter meal and last night's bowl of ice cream with butterscotch and caramel toppings. I haven't really been hungry today but probably because I am so hot. Our electricity went out a little while ago for about 30 minutes. The news said to expect frequent rolling blackouts because of all the demands put on the grids, whatever that means. I still haven't decided about dinner but am not too worried. I think we have a few Lean Cuisines in the freezer. Sure wish I could get to the store though, but maybe it's a good thing I can't. I'm still wanting jellybeans.

Kate called a little while ago and it sounds like she's getting settled in. She had made their lunches to take to work; today their schedule was the same and so they were going to ride together. I am glad she'll be saving on gas and also am glad she isn't living alone. I would worry so much more about her safety if she did since she gets off work around 1 or 2 a.m. most days. I know she likes second shift because she gets paid a shift differential and can also sleep late, and if she has errands to do, she can do them in the mornings. She was talking about transferring to another department though, and they're only first shift so I guess we'll see what happens there. Wells Fargo seems like such a great company to work for and they promote from within, and there are just tons of opportunities so I hope she stays there. I'd like to see her get out of the phone center though; all she does is get yelled at by people who overdrafted their account and still want the bank to reimburse the fees. Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't ... but yelling sure doesn't help!

Okay, I've written a book. You can tell I'm lonely.
Closed Thread