Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #16  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks! I'm just a tired, messed up Chick here. Nothing serious, just the same old same old. After my hair appointment I got serious abdomen discomfort, just like what started way back in October. I think I might be on to what's happening or maybe it's just a coincidence. I ate a large chicken salad at a resturant yesterday. I haven't had an entree salad in several weeks, maybe a month, and I haven't had the discomfort. I'm wondering if it's the lettuce or maybe what restaurants spray on their produce to keep it fresh. I'll be asking my Doctor when I see him in a couple of weeks. The lettuce at home doesn't bother me too much although it seems it doesn't digest very easily. Anyway.....I've also got the pulled muscle in my neck and shoulder again today. Not a problem though! Jim has already rubbed me with Ben Gay and at least I can take some Aleve after I eat. No procedure to worry about! Woo Hoo. I am sort of excited to maybe have a connection as to what might be bothering my lower abdomen. I'd miss having the salads but so be it!

Angela, I would be ABSOLUTELY delighted if you convinced DH to come to Chicago. I know exactly where I would take both of you for dinner. You'd love it. It would be so fun! Keep me posted and keep working on him.

Frouf, I hope you didn't have to go out in the ice this morning but if you did, then I hope Emily did not have an ice melt down (pun intended!). I know you had a 9:30 meeting. Since it's about 8:30 your time right now, I'll think positive thoughts that you managed to get her into the car. Did you guys ever think of an outdoor kind of rug runner to the car door? I really couldn't have a child in the world today because I'd be arrested for child abuse. My parents would have beat my butt if I had ever refused to not wear boots or get in the car. I'd have been grounded and never gotten another privelege in life. But I know things are different now. As I've said before, I REALLY admire all of you parents. I did NOT have the right stuff! I use AOL so the popup blockers are automatic. I love AOL (I know alot of people hate the but I don't) and I rarely, if ever, have a popup. Good luck!

Speaking of parents.....Kathy, I read your message from last night about Shaun. I've been praying and hoping since I read the post. I can't wait to hear the outcome. When will he know? We don't have a Mongolian Grill here as far as I know. If we have one, it's on the North Side or Downtown and I've not heard of it yet. We are big on the Brazilian Steakhouse here. Lots of meat and not much else. I could definitely eat Core there but they are REALLY expensive. $25 at lunch at about $40 for dinner but it's all you can eat. They keep bringing you meat until you turn your card over to red.

Melissa, I hope you got some great rest last night. It's Friday! Maybe you can leave early today.

Sandra, I cannot believe how cold it is by you. It's 19 degrees here right now. Tomorrow our high is supposed to be only 11 degrees. We had torrential rains and tornado warnings last night while the North side had snow. It's been a weird Winter here. If today's cold had hit yesterday, I'd be buried under at least a foot of snow!

Patti, as I said on the challenge thread, I am very, very proud of you. I know you and DH are having a tough time right now. This is the time when a lot of people would just give up on their program. You are a role model for me.

Coco, I'm sure your cumin is fine since it isn't opened yet. Nothing bad happens if there are open, but they lose their flavor over time. I've heard they are good for a year after you open them. I date mine on the botton of the bottle. Yeah, I have a little Monica from Friends in me! Poor DH. He just can't catch a break, can he? I hope he feels ok this morning, except I'm sure that he hurts like heck.

Saundra, you're going to hurt for a while, that's for sure. I'd be going stir crazy too. I hope you get to go out tonight for a little fresh air and dinner.

Well, I hope to go out for dinner tonight but it all depends on how I feel. I really need to clean house but don't know how I'll do so with this neck. I'm worried Jim is going to start thinking that my neck only starts hurting when it's time to clean! When I got home from my hair appointment yesterday, he had already Pledged and Windexed the whole entertainment center, inside and out, and had Pledged my whole oak hutch in the kitchen. How the heck did I get SO lucky?

I'll got start a menu thread.

Last edited by Vickie; 02-17-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #17  
Melissa

Patti, congrats again!! That's such an inspiring loss.

Vickie, I'm sorry that you are in pain this morning. It's great that you think you might be figuring some things out though. I just know that you are close to the end of all of this!!

Nope, no leaving early for me today, I'm stuck here till 5. Good thing is that boss is out today and I only have one appointment. The rest of the day I'll be doing paper work. But at least I don't have to run all over town.
Off to my appointment. : to all my friends!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #18  

Height: 5'7"

Morning, all! I'm finally here -- it was hard to get up this morning for some reason. I was a little disappointed to see a few extra pounds (150.4) on the scale this morning but again, salt and soy sauce (and rice) just aren't my friend! I really need to learn that I can't eat them, and I didn't even have that much!

I'll probably hear something from Shaun by noon. I am on pins and needles over this. I know for a fact he'll do well on the written test because he scored so high on the practice and also when he took it a few years ago, but it's the medical exam that worries me. He had asthma as a child and had bronchitis about six weeks ago. Hopefully it's all cleared up and his lungs sound good. He also weighs a whopping 135-140 and is probably 5'10" (QUITE thin) and probably out of shape, so I'm worried that will count against him. The recruiter didn't seem to think it would though.

I'm having a real coke right now to see if that'll wake me up. Fortunately I have lunch already made (krab salad that I didn't eat yesterday) so I only have to find something for dinner. Judd will be playing poker tonight so I have an evening to myself. It's supposed to start freezing rain and continue thru Monday morning. Nice weekend, huh? I planted tulips yesterday afternoon so they'll enjoy the cold, but I have to work all day tomorrow and then we're going to visit my parents on Sunday. We'll have to see how it all works out ...
Old 02-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #19  

Height: 5'7"

Oh Vickie, that Mongolian Grill was to die for and you'd love it. You pick all your own fresh meats and veggies and they cook them up for you right there. No added anything -- it's all Core except for the rice, which I should have passed since it's optional anyway.

We have those Brazilian restaurants here too and went a few times with Judd's parents. The salad bar had like 52 things on it, but I'm not a big meat eater and can't justify going and paying that much for a great salad. Now if someone else is paying, that's another story.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:15 AM   #20  
Southside White Sox Fan

The more you talk about it, the more I think I was at one of those grills downtown before I retired. I remember not liking the sauces but liking everything else. Too much food though. You're right about the salad bar at the Brazilian steakhouses. They're huge. I tried my first artichoke heart at one of those restaurants.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 172/148/142

Good Friday Morning,

Patti, congratulations on hitting your goal. You just prove, that hard work pays off. Tonight sounds like fun. what is that thing that you are cooking on?

Vickie, sorry to hear that the pain came back. It will be interesting to hear what the doc says. Do you have a neck problem? All these aches and pains, are we getting somewhat older? I feel that my foot is hurting a little less, I guess I can't be in a hurry. Bernie wants to go to Chicago too, but I want to see Boston first. One day...

The wind is blowing away and since I've not been out, I don't know how bad the roads are.

Kathy, we'll be anxious to hear what Shaun has to say, either way, he has tried. My weight is down the hard way. I was 145 this morning which is too low for me. I don't want to go down another size and want to stay at a realistic 150 range.

Melissa, it's Friday, so you have something to look forward to. Any plans for the weekend? Hope your day goes well.

Gotta go down for breakfast and then back to my Olympic coverage. Stay warm everyone,

Last edited by sauniemay; 02-17-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:39 AM   #22  

Good morning all! We have a mongolian place here, but I've never been there. Maybe I should try! I'm always kind of leery of restaurants I don't know, because I'm sensitive to several different oils and I could end up in a lot of pain. Vickie, I think you may be on to something with the salad. I know whenever I have bagged/restaurant salad, I get (pardon me) terrible gas and abdominal pain. I thought it was because of the canola oil in the dressing, but it happened when I used ff Italian too, so I know that's not the problem. In the summer, I don't notice, because we use fresh greens from the garden. I think you should continue down this path of logic and see if maybe it's some additive to the lettuce.

It's COLD here today. Brrr! We had thunder snow and freezing rain yesterday, and today it's frigid. Thankfully, I don't have to be anywhere but school drop off and pick up.

We had a great time yesterday with our "dinner planning." I drew a food pyramid, and we made sure we planned something from each part of that. Then I had the 4 year old copy down what we were having into a "menu" for Daddy. My 7 year old worked on figuring how much of certain ingredients we'd need. Like, we have 5 people total, and 3 are children. How many adults? And if adults drink 1 cup of milk and children drink 1/2 c, how much milk total would we need? She really did a good job. Then we prepared the food. We made a big chef salad with ham, cheese and boiled egg, dinner rolls and for dessert, a Jello brand chocolate pie. Easy for them to make, and they really enjoyed taking ownership. I even had them "bus" the table afterwards, and serve dessert. I really had fun with it, and it's neat seeing their minds work. However, I don't think I could do it every day, like in a home schooling situation. I am just amazed at those moms that home school successfully. It must be SO much work. If we lived somewhere with terrible schools, I might do it, but the schools in Iowa are very good.

Anyhoo! I'm writing a book today. I need to get to work and actually clean my house today.

Later!
Angela
Old 02-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #23  

Hi Everyone
Well it is really windy here today. And the temp has dropped 30 degrees. I just saw a few snow flakes. So I guess winter is here again. Boy though the wind has been awful. I didnt sleep very good last night. Cause the wind kept waking me up. And then I was afraid the power would go out. But it hasnt. Which is good.
Well hubby's finger is a little sore today. But he is doing ok. Made his follow up appt. So go next Friday for that. We are to leave the bandage on it for 24 hours. So later today we will get to take the bandage off and clean it again. He said he was just going to take it kinda easy today.
So I am going to try and do my recipe that I was going to do yesterday today. So I told hubby he had to behave himself.
Not sure what all I will do today. Will try and catch up on stuff that I had planned for yesterday. Need to run the sweeper and that kind of stuff.
Well everyone have a great day. Will check in later. Stay warm everyone.
coco
Old 02-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #24  

Angela, it sounds like you guys had a wonderful dinner experience. Your kids are lucky to have a "special" mom.

The wind is still blowing. Bernie is off at 4:00 and anxious to clear the driveway before the deep freeze tonight.

I made a hair appointment for next Friday. I hope that I'll be driving by then. I'm due to go to Toronto on the 27th for four days, and don't want to have to cance that one. My sister calls daily for foot updates. It's a nice caring feeling.

Coco, from experience, second day injury is worse. I'm sure that your dinner will be great and you'll make up for yesterday's lost time.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #25  

Oh I was starting to get into the potatoe chips. I ate two and stopped and got on here.

VICKIE There is alot of places that I can not eat there salads. They upset my stomach. And the bag salad mix. I cant eat that either. The only one that I can eat. And it dont bother me too bad. Is the Fresh Express brand.
I love Subway salads. But I cant eat those. And alot of places where there are salad bars. I cant eat at those. Or if I do. I come straight home. Cause I know I will be in the bathroom. And some places even bother hubby and son.
So they have to be putting something on the salad makings.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:33 AM   #26  
Melissa

Wow, I have never had trouble with any kinds of salads, but what you guys are saying makes sense. There has to be some sort of preservative/prettiness additive.

Kathy, your weekend weather sounds gross! But I guess you all are due for some wintry stuff. Have you heard from shaun? Oh, and that mongolian food sounds awesome. I need to figure out where there is one around here.

Coco, I'm so sorry to hear about DH's finger. Like he needs something else to worry about right now. Great for you, getting out of those potato chips. Now don't go back!

Saundra, I hope that you don't have to cancel your trip. That would be a shame. How nice that your sis is checking on you. I always wanted a sibling!

Angela, it sounds like you had so much fun with your girls. Please keep telling us those long stories, it gives me great ideas for when I have kids of my own!

No real weekend plans for me, which is fine! I'm looking forward to lots of rest, studying, and time for exercise. I'm thinking about doing WATP dvds this weekend since we can't walk outside for very long.

Off to lunch!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:36 AM   #27  
Melissa

Wow, I just saw that Sandra's temp thing says it is -8 there. I have nothing to complain about!!

Oh how exciting, we've got a bunch of new smilies!!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #28  

You wouldn't believe the wind out there. Lots of accidents close to home and major highway closures. Our windchill tomorrow is -31 C. It's good to have a warm bed.

I was able to take a warm bath which was good. Even shaved my hairy legs.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #29  
focused and aiming

frouf, i'm loving the teddy bear stories, too. were you able to get your puter back up to par? sounds like ds did a number on it. i got a big smile visualizing you in your "going out" gear. sounds like something i do. . i'm in wool socks, sweat shirt, and shorts now. hope i can stay inside the house.

patti, congratulations on making your valentine goal.

saundra, how are you feeling today? is your foot getting better?

vickie, i am glad you've figured out what was causing your lower abdomen problems. we know our bodies, don't we? giving up restaurant salads won't be too hard to do. it's cold here today, too. when i got up it was -18*. i'm not sure what it is now. guess i'll find out when i post here and see my temp thingee. i'm glad you didn't get all that snow. i'm still not exactly montanana and aren't used to all this. brrrrrr!

hi, melissa. i'm glad you have a more stress-free day. do you have plans for the weekend?

kathy, keep us posted on shaun. my family told me about the approaching ice storm. i think it's prob from the same system that's here now. you be careful and stay off those streets all you can.

angela, you have amazing ideas. i love to read what you and your girls do.

coco, i hope your day is uneventful. let us know about your recipe.

melissa, just saw your post about your weekend. sounds like you can get some much needed relaxation. that's good.

i'm off here now to make lunch. see ya later.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #30  

I see a brighter sky on the horizon, but the wind is howling. Sandra, you guys are colder than us. It must be so hard coming from a warm state to a cold one, but you have so much beauty there. When we went to the Canadian Rockies I was blown away.

I keep hobbling from one room to the next to exercise my foot. That's all I can do for now. Bernie's coming home fo lunch for a few minutes, and I'll see if I can find a movie this afternoon.
Closed Thread