Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 06:29 PM   #16  
Southside White Sox Fan

I have 5 minutes to be on here. My chicken chili is simmering and I'm waiting for the 20 minutes to be up to make the corncakes. I'm very hungry even though it's only 5:30 here.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #17  

Height: 5'7"

They are more like purple hull peas or field peas instead of any other type of pea or bean. I don't like green peas (blech!) either. It's hard to describe them, I suppose -- maybe you should try them. These are so good that I might end up eating them all myself.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #18  
Melissa

DH stole the computer!

I should have made some black-eyed peas today--my mother will be very upset!

Vickie, I think they are more like soup beans, at least the way my mother has always made them. They're pretty tasty, once you get used to them. Kathy, yours sound good! And I don't like green peas either.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #19  

I like green peas, if they're fresh from the garden, still crisp in the pod. Mmm! I don't like them canned, and I have only recently tolerated them frozen.

Angela
Old 01-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #20  
focused and aiming

melissa, your evening sounds like fun. so? what about a baby? just wondering if ya'll are talking about it more after playing with the little one last night.

kathy, your peas sound good. i love this tradition, don't you? i don't think i'll ever get rich off it, but i'm having fun eating those peas.

vickie, they are more like beans. sometimes you have some snaps in with the peas. mmmmmmmm i like green pea salad. it was a favorite of my father's. i went years after his death before i could eat it again without crying.

i had a friend from kansas one time who teased me about eating b e peas. she said they fed them to the cattle. oh, well. cattle has to eat, too.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #21  

Today's peas are just absolutely GREAT! I know Judd's going to love them too. I think I'll add this to the weekly dinner rotation. He might not be able to eat them on his SF plan, but I can have some for dinner and then take LOs for work the next day.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #22  
focused and aiming

sounds good, kathy. we have enough for one more meal, too. i'll have to make more polento, though.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 172/148/142

Our dinner was good last night, except that I order three hot dishes and two salads and dh picked up two hot dishes and one salad. The owner got it wrong, but 1/2 hour later, all was fine. Luckily, the place is five minutes away from the house. It was Italian food, so I was able to eat the salad and pick at the rest. All in all, didn't do bad.

Everyone was out by 10:30, and dh and I babysat, which was just fine. Did you see Dick Clark, how pathetic. I remember the late 50's when I was addicted to American Bandstand.

Glad to hear that everyone made it to 2006, and look forward to a successful year for us all!

Saundra
Old 01-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #24  

I have seen the clementines as high as $8.00 a box and as low as $4.00. Here lately they have been running between $4.00 to $5.00.
With the black eye peas. I have cooked them with some canadian bacon and onion. Makes them kinda tasty.
POPCORN QUESTION. I got a pan where you fix your popcorn in. You use it on top of the stove. I was wondering will this be core. I am to use 2 Tablespoon oil to pop the corn in. And I am not going to eat the whole pan in a day or night. So was just wondering.
There is also another good magazine out its called LOOKIN GOOD. It has weigh loss success stories in them. And they all do it with either WW, TOPS, CURVES, ECT. And they have some good receipes in them. Will have to look for the new WW magazine. Looked while I was out Friday. But didnt see it. So will try and look tomorrow. I really like the success stories. They are encouraging. And it lets me see that the weight loss can be done.
Ok ladies have a good night.
Coco
Old 01-01-2006, 08:07 PM   #25  

Saundra, what's so pathetic is that he's only 76! I mean I know that might sound sorta old, but I have relatives way older than that and they're in good shape. He said the stroke last year left him unable to speak or walk and he had to relearn it all. I would guess that last night was his final NYE to host though. I still watch old reruns of Pyramid on the game show channel and just love him. He's so classy.

Dinner is over and I'm thinking about taking a bath and hitting the bed with my laptop and a book. I'm starting to get sad about only one more day off.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #26  
Southside White Sox Fan

Saundra, glad you had a good evening. I, too, was sad to see Dick Clark. Such a vital man.

Kathy, it stinks that your vacation is almost over. I am so blessed to be retired at 49.

Coco, I hope you find it because it was a good issue.

Wow! I'm going to be 50 this year. Pooh. I wanted to be to goal by my 50th birthday. I've only 5 months left. Better get a move on!

Gotta go watch a movie. Jim is out of the shower. Talk to you all tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #27  
Southside White Sox Fan

Do black eyed peas come in a can or do you buy them dried and soak them? Can you tell they are NOT a tradition in the Midwest?!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:41 PM   #28  
Melissa

Oh yes, I do like cold green peas in salads. I forgot about that.

Vickie, I think you buy them in bags. I've never actually made them myself.

Saundra, Dick Clark was so pitiful. I felt so sorry for him. It sounds like you had a great evening last night.

Coco, I think that the popcorn would be core but it would have to count for your good oil for the day.

Kathy, oh no, back to work blues!! I am feeling them too, because my boss will be back on Tuesday (she was gone all last week). I'll have to go back and read about what you put in the beans. Sounds good. So do you have a rotation of meals (like fish packets on Monday, Chicken on Tuesday, etc.)? I'm thinking about starting to eat the same thing everyday for b, l, and then give myself a few choices for snacks and variety of dinners. I'm just having a hard time staying focused. Well that was more than you wanted to know.

Sandra, we did do some more baby-talk. We are going to try to really think and pray about the situation. I anticipate that sometime this year we'll be working on that!

Frouf, I'm like Vickie, I'm a nester too. DH asked me what I thought normal people did on New Year's Eve. I told him that I thought most people probably stayed at home, and your article makes me think I'm not so crazy. We like staying at home most of the time.

OK I can't remember any other posts. Be right back...
Old 01-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #29  
Melissa

Angela, congrats on staying "clean" through your party. I'm really impressed by your determination, especially when you are at goal. I think it would be really hard not to cheat.

Kathy, I always cry at You've Got Mail too. And I own it and have watched it several times. But it gets me everytime. Are your black-eyed peas the recipe you posted on the other thread?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #30  
Melissa

Does anyone have Jamberry Pfatzgraff patterned dishes?
Closed Thread