Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 10:31 AM   #16  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Unhappy Another Day At Work....

Boy did I have a heck of a time getting up this morning - I really need to get to bed earlier - it's really hard to get out of "vacation mode". My goal is to now become independently wealthy so I don't have to work and can travel as per my whims!

Terri - congrats on the t-shirt shopping - isn't it exciting to have a whole new shopping experience!

Vickie - I agree that you should look on the bright side - the numbers have improved slightly and they will only get better with time and more weight loss. You should be very proud of yourself! My dh just went to get his bloodwork done last Friday as he also has borderline high cholesterol and does NOT want to take drugs. We are now awaiting that dreaded call from the dr's office asking him to come in to discuss. He knows what he needs to do but he just doesn't do it!

Kathy - hope you are feeling better and sounds like the potholders provided needed "therapy" for you. I do the same w/my computer games which kind of empty my mind of problems as I focus on the game at hand! Hope Judd realizes what a prize he has in you and starts pulling his weight!

Just heard news about Hurricane Emily heading towards texas? Are you on the path? Hope not - stay safe and secure!

Angela - congrats on turtling - and I think the Mommy class is a great idea!

Sandra - give me a steak anytime!....and your kitchen sounds lovely - did you know my favorite color was PINK ..and yes I had to wear my "ears" again to our coffee meeting this morning as some of the team were away yesterday and did not get to see me with my pink Minnie ears hat!

I am now trying to frantically plan a birthday party for this sat pm - ya it's not like I didn't know that my ds was turning 7 next Monday (ha ha ha), but w/the Florida trip and all it kinda got set aside. Have to make some calls and send emails - mostly family with a few kids. Will get a huge chocolate slab cake ordered. Party is at 2 pm and we usually end up ordering in pizza for the stragglers who are still around at dinnertime!

I am hungry and tired.....and it's hot as H#@@@ outside today - very humid and muggy - I brought my runners but don't think I will walk outside as exercise altho I might leisurely walk over to the outdoor market a couple of blocks away as I have a hankering for some red cherries!

Later,

Frouf
Old 07-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #17  
Southside White Sox Fan

Frouf, thanks for the pep talk. I had just hoped to be MUCH closer to 200. I'm not going to give up. It's not my style when I set my mind to something. I hope your DH's numbers show some improvement. Certainly you're rubbing off on him a little bit? I get the impression from some of you that cholesterol numbers don't come down all that quickly? I keep wondering if I should do some more changes. I've already decided to eat less red meat and eggs. What do you think about olives and avocado? I need to read more on the AHA website. It's funny that now that I have the time to travel, I don't have the money. So you are wise to set your goal at being independently wealth! I bet your DS will have a blast at his party. If I know you, it will be FABULOUS! BTW, I could go for some choclate slab cake. Yum!

Kathy, I hadn't heard that Hurricane Emily had turned. Please let us know what's up with this!

Well, I'm fed and watered and exercised so I need to go get ready. I have to go to 2 banks this afternoon. Talk with you all later.

Last edited by Vickie; 07-19-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #18  

Height: 5'7"

We rarely get weather from the Gulf. We're in the north part and since Texas is pretty big, we're still about 350-400 miles from the coast. BUT ... I was born in Beaumont which is very near the coast and lived there until I was 20. All my aunts and uncles and cousins are still there ... I'm waiting to see how it'll affect them. They're nearer to Louisiana than Mexico.

Thanks for the concern!

Last edited by Katpo; 07-19-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:49 PM   #19  
Athlete in Training

Talking

For those of you who are prayers, I need your prayers.

Yesterday I got a phone call from the state agency we've been working with. They have a week-old baby girl -- and she is being brought to our home in about an hour. We know very little about her except that she was left in a cardboard box outside of a hospital. Here's a news article.

http://www.nbc5.com/family/4709904/detail.html?z=dp

After 9 failed adoptions, I am very cautiously optimistic, thrilled and terrified all at once. We will be foster parents for a period of time until the state has determined that the birthmother is not going to come back and claim the baby. Then she will be available for adoption.

We are hoping and praying that she is the child we've been waiting for all these years.

If all goes as planned, I'll be posting a picture in the next couple days.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #20  
Athlete in Training

Oh -- and I need some blinks for tonight's WI. I've been scrambling to get the house ready for the placement and get baby stuff -- so I've been eating whatever was near me.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #21  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Thumbs up good luck terri

OH TERRI - that is amazing news! Don't worry about the eating - just get the diapers, baby car seat, formula, pacificers (orthodontic of course ), blankies and sleepers ready. I am so keeping my fingers crossed for you that this is the ONE! Think Pink!

Also sending mucho blinks your way - good luck with the baby! Let us know how it's going!

Frouf
Old 07-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #22  

Wow!! Wowee!!!! Hey, you have our permission to eat everything you want!!! I am just so excited for you!!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:08 PM   #23  
focused and aiming

hi there, chickiepoos! it's a glorious day in montana! hot but glorious! we just got home from practicing shooting at the local pro shop. speaking of pros, there's a huge money prize tournament up near glacier the last weekend of this month. we had not planned to go because it's going to be rugged walking and shooting 40 3 dimensional animal targets from unmarked distances (i prefer knowing how far away my targets are as i'm not a good guesser. with this tournament i'll have to guess the distance then set my sights accordingly. if i guess wrong, i'll miss the target and score a 0.) (more than you wanted to know, right?) anyway, we've decided to compete since my feet are better. they are giving $1000 first prize in each adult division; $500 second $50 + a gift certificate for 3rds) there will be pros from all over coming for this tournament. it should be interesting.

enough archery talk. curtis is working harder at making wise eating choices. that's helping me as well as helping him.

vickie, i am glad you're in better spirits. heart disease runs rampant in my family, too. if you can't get the cholesterol down by losing weight, won't they just put you on some meds? you might have to take meds for awhile till you get to goal. don't let yourself get into a funk. that won't help. it might even run your bp up and you don't need that. sometimes when curtis and i go out to eat, i'll order the steak and he'll get chicken or fish. we're sort of reversed here, aren't we? i do like my red meat.

kathy, when i read vickie's post, i got to wondering. does judd know why you're upset? maybe you need to have a sitdown and talk things out. i know curtis tells me that men normally don't have a clue what we are thinking if we don't just tell them outright. he keeps telling me he's not a mindreader. what a shame, right? it's hot here, too. i have the soaker hose going out front on the rosebeds instead of using the sprinkler. (i don't want to wash off that liquid fence and have to start over.) so far, it's working!!!!! what a relief not to find my rosebushes nipped to death.

angela, are you using patterns to make these cuties? i can't imagine doing all you're doing. you've very creative. i think mommy and me classes are great. we had one here in missoula for awhile but i don't think they still have it. that's a shame, isn't it? young mommies can learn and teach ww so their families get a headstart on eating healthily.

frouf, where in canada are you? are you near montana? i use a lot of dusty pink and country blues in the house. that's funny because red is my favorite color. or so i claim. sometimes i don't believe me. i really zeroed in on that chocolate cake you talked about. i can taste it now. it sounds yummy! i am honestly not in a funk now and am doing great on core, but--sometimes i just wish i didn't have to be concerned about every bite that goes into my mouth. life would be simpler if i were 7' tall.

vickie, do you eat much oatmeal? that's supposed to help cut the cholesterol. (cheerios, too) also, some people no matter what they eat or what they weigh, have high cholesterol. this may be a battle you aren't supposed to win. i take heart meds every day. (not cholesterol but meds for valvular heart disease and congestive heart failure). i don't mind taking them. i'm just glad i have them to take, and i'm not a "pill popper" by any stretch. i just know where i'd be if i weren't taking them. okay, i'm stepping off my soapbox now. sorry to be so preachy but i don't like for you to be in a funk.

terry, i am on my knees. please keep us posted. to heck with wi. just enjoy this day. what a blessing!

Last edited by notnew2this; 07-19-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #24  

Terry, how wonderful!! Oh, I wish I were close by so I could bring over all my little girl stuff for you to borrow. I have amassed quite a collection of adorable stuff with my 3 girls.

I'll be praying for you and your dh and for the little girl. I hope all goes well, and you can call her yours forever!

Angela
Old 07-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #25  

Terry, I've got everything crossed that I can. I really hope this works out for you.

Vickie, I think the good oils and avocado are supposed to help raise the good cholesterol. My dad also eats a bowl of oatmeal everyday, and I think it's doctor's orders.

I'm still waking up puffed up like a very puffed up thing the last couple of mornings, but at least I'm walking again and not trying to eat everything in sight.

Why is it that the people who make salad kits don't realize that a significant portion of the people who eat salad are doing so because they want something healthy without a lot of calories? I've been grabbing a cobb or spinach salad at the grocery store every once in a while, but I have to throw out the dressing because it would add 200 calories to the whole thing. My grocery only carries one salad kit with even light, never mind nonfat dressing. If I wanted to eat 28 grams of fat, I'd go get some pizza.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:21 PM   #26  
Southside White Sox Fan

Thanks, Cher. I thought olives, good oils, and avocado were supposed to be good for you. Of course, everything in moderation. I've eaten oatmeal for breakfast almost every day for the last 10 months. Maybe I'll just be a candidate for medicine. I wouldn't mind as long as I knew that I wouldn't have to stay on it forever. Maybe Sandra is right and that I'll only have to stay on it until I get down. Maybe then I could maintain the lower number.

I don't even look at any salad kits anymore for just the reason you've described. I guess they must have a market or they wouldnt keep making them. I've written to companies with some good results. Maybe you could give that a try. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better. I'm sure the walking will help eventually. That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Well, I'll be going outside to water at 7:00. My trees, bushes and flower leaves are curling so I know I need to give them some help. Problem is that I'll have to sit outside and hold the hose. We are only allowed to "hand" water between 7-11 on odd days. They say they are serious about the holding part. So, I'll have a book and a bottle of water while I hold the house outside. Hope you all have a great evening!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #27  

So true! Even the fast food salads would be fine, except my favorite place, Sonic Drivein, puts an onion ring on top.

A funny story about fast food salads though. My coworker went yesterday to get salad. She had a coupon for B1G1 free, so she thought it would be good for two days' worth of lunch. She wanted the one that had popcorn chicken on it, so she told the Sonic worker that on one of them, she wanted to have the chicken on the side.

Got back to work and took them out of the bag. First salad was all pretty, nice lettuce and pretty popcorn chicken all over it. The next one? Nice lettuce, and popcorn chicken neatly arranged ... all scrunched on the far side of the bowl. Yup, they put it on the side alright!!

I'm heating up a deli chicken that I got the other day. Also while at the store I got a potato salad and we have some leftover baked beans from the weekend. I'll just eat the chicken and maybe some more jell-o. I'm not really all that hungry, but probably should eat something before I throw myself into starvation mode and start gaining MORE!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #28  
Southside White Sox Fan

OMG, I just saw Cher's response and not the others until I posted my reply.

Terry, I can't tell you how happy I am for you. Of course, I heard the story of your baby! I can't wait to hear the details and see some pictures. You and your hubby must be out of your minds with excitement. Good luck on your weigh in although that pales in comparison to what you have going on in your house right now! Woo Hoo! I feel like and honorary Auntie!

Kathy, glad the weather won't affect you.

Sandra, you are so sweet. Thanks for all the encouragement on the cholesterol numbers. I'm not opposed to medicine but I already take medicine for high BP which I'm trying to get off of. I really don't want to add another one for cholesterol. Getting off of the BP medicine is part of what was keeping me so determined on my program. God keeps giving me the same lesson to learn over and over and over again. I am not meant to control everything. I just need to stop trying sometimes. My Sister is always telling me to remember the serenity prayer. Your archery contest sounds VERY exciting. Wouldn't it be really cool if you won?! Wish I could just put a soaker hose down!

Well, almost time to water!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:24 PM   #29  

Wow Vickie, that watering rule is a pain, I bet. We don't have THAT much of a drought here, although it's getting pretty dry. We watered the garden today, but we used a standard sprinkler.

I made a giant chef salad for dinner tonight, and it was delicious. I put fresh lettuce and spinach from the garden, green onions, carrots, tomato, ham, boiled egg, and ff cheese. Mmm. Even dh liked it.

Tomorrow the girls and I are going down to the University of Iowa to take part in a language study for the Department of Psychology. I guess this time they show the kids different things, and listen to what they say to describe it. We've been doing it periodically since dd #3 was 6 months old. It's fun, and fascinating to see what they study. Plus, the child gets a free toy at the end, so hey, it's worth it, right?

My goal tomorrow is to get our clothes packed up. The next day is the big Wal-Mart trip. The next day will be packing toys, games & snacks. And Saturday will be for packing toiletries and bedding.

I'd better get the dishes done now, so I can get the kids to bed, so I can get to my guitar lesson on time. Whew! It never ends.

Speaking of, Terry, how are things in the land of parenthood going?

Angela
Old 07-19-2005, 08:51 PM   #30  

Good grief, tell me about it! Seems like my day NEVER ends!!

I finally got done with dinner and cleaned up. Now I have laundry and sweeping dog hair. Big DD's boyfriend is coming up from Austin next Monday and she's all freaked out that the house won't be "acceptable". I'm tempted to say HEY, if you have a problem, get to cleaning! Don't tell me your problems!! She should just meet him at a restaurant or the mall or somewhere if she thinks she'll be embarrassed about the state of the house. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to clean up for Friday night's poker party. At least I can work on cleaning all day Saturday and Sunday and maybe it'll be up to her picky standards. Whatever!

Then DS is unhappy with his job, because it seems as though they embellished the job a bit when he was in his training class. He was told no door-to-door sales, and that appointments would be pre-set and all he had to do was go do the demos. Now it seems that they are supposed to go door-to-door, and yes there are pre-set appointments, but only those with the most leads will get them. And leads come from ... yes, knocking on doors. Also, the guaranteed income they stressed in the training class isn't really. He's stressed and broke, and I'm starting to panic. I'm not sure what he's going to do but I know this is the toughest part of being a parent. I'll take colic, potty training, puberty, and even learning to drive over these years of "are they grown or aren't they?" I think I worry more now than I ever did.

And so ... I have more housework calling my name. I have to be at work at 6:00 in the morning because I have so much to do. I'll get up at 4:30 so I can work on my mop (nappy hair), make my breakfast and lunch, gather everything up and leave by 5:30. At least I should be able to leave by 4:00 or so tomorrow afternoon, but it's just to come home and do more cleaning, etc. I have to clean the carpet in the family room tomorrow so it'll dry by Thursday night, when I'll go over it again with the vacuum.

Never ends is an understatement in my world.
Closed Thread