3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Watchers > Simply Filling/Core

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #46
focused and aiming

well, ****'s bells! i posted a long reply here a couple of hours ago, but i don't see it. i guess i got offline too fast. i need to slow down, don't i?

cher, dh and i spent some time at the arco olympic center at chula vista training to be upper-level archery coaches. you live in a beautiful area.

lisa, i hope you didn't get too sore from your mammogram. ouch!

well, i'm still in shock about my post being lost. i'll be back later. sure hope this post makes it.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #47

returned from vacation Monday evening, my scales say that I am up a little bit, but I imagine it would have been more if I hadn't done a bunch of walking. My youngest daughter also named Vivian has decided that she will be on Core with me because she is afraid that I will weigh less than her soon. So she made supper for us tonight, baked chicken, baked potato and green beans for me. Enjoyed my time away, but didn't not always choose wisely when it came to eating.
Vivian
Old 06-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #48

Height: 5'7"

Welcome back! That's not too bad for being on vacation. I'm sure you'll recover soon enough -- and how great that your daughter will be doing it too!

Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #49
Southside White Sox Fan

Well, welcome back Vivian. Up a little bit after a long vacation is not too bad. And, you must be feeling proud about setting such a good example for your daughter. It's going to be fun to have someone to stay on program with who is right there with you. It's hard to invite us "cyber" girlfriends to dinner!

Sandra, so what's up with your post? Once I lost a post because I hit "preview" by accident. Now I stay on until I see my post. I see a pretty good sized post from you around 12:30. Did you do one after that? You and I would be good for one another. I shop from a list and generally don't pick up any extras. I'm not sure how I got to be so good about it. I think I'm an obsessive planner. That's one of the reasons why Core appeals to me!

Cher, I rarely sweat either. It's pretty weird when everyone else around me is sweating but the big girl isn't! Thanks for your inspiration about turning your 30 minute walk into a 45 minute one. I didn't up my time but I did up my speed from 2.8 mph to 3.0 mph. So....I walked a mile and a half plus. Thanks!

Frouf, congratulations on your walk. I'm hoping your Dr. is pleasantly surprised at your weight loss and lower blood pressure. Things seem to be calmer at your house these days?!

Hey, Kath, I'm worried about you. I didn't know about the vivid dreams. I hope your medicine gets regulated soon. You must feel so weird sometimes. I take Norvasc and have for about 9 years. Getting off the high blood pressure medicine is one of my Core goals. It's usually about 120 over 80 at the Dr.'s office and we figure it's a bit high there. It hasn't been tested in about 3 months so Jim and I are due for another visit.

Lisa, that's a great blood pressure reading. Perhaps you can teach your DH how to relax. I hope you have a great time at Disney. I'm not going until I can fit on all the rides without worrying I'll be embarassed when they say sorry lady, the bar won't go down! I'll have to check out On Demand. I didn't know that they had exercise available.

Terry, I hope your pup is ok. Let us know how everything goes.

Well, my Smothered Barley Chicken buzzer is about to ring so I have to run. Time to cook the broccoli. I've already eaten my salad but I'm still hungry. Not a good sign. I'm making Cornmeal Chicken on Friday. You guys all talked me into it!

Have a great evening.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #50

Oh good Lord, Vickie -- I could have kept you in stitches with tales of some of my vivid dreams! There was the one about the cat in a tree who smiled at me, but it had "people teeth" ... and the one about a monkey throwing Fritos at my head ... it has been an interesting two weeks since I've been on it. I can sometimes even wake up, go back to sleep and continue the dreams. They are wacky!

DH got home from work and decided he wanted some Mexican food, so off he went to pick it up. Got home and there were no tortillas, and no rice and beans for him. I changed my menu to reflect that I will be having fajita chicken and guac instead of the easy tomato soup and cheese toast that I had planned. Still not a bad choice.

I'm hoping that I can hang in until Saturday morning when I weigh, and then make a firm decision for the coming week after that. I just can't stand myself when I'm unable to make decisions. It really ticks me off!

I'm going to make the cornmeal chicken either Friday or Sunday ... Saturday my parents will be in town and I think we're cooking out at my brother's house that night. I suppose I'll be working all weekend to make up for my slacking off today. I did get three books in the mail today though and am looking forward to having good reading material for the next few days. The Broker by John Grisham, another Helen Fielding book (she's the Bridget Jones author) and another one called This Side of Married by Rachel Pastan. It's just a fun-looking novel. I just finished a book today, Islands by Anne Rivers Siddons, and it was really good. One of my favorite books is Nora, Nora -- which is by the same author. I had it on CD and just loved it. Okay, enough about books! I could talk for hours ... I read constantly.

DH is back with the rest of the food -- gotta go.

Last edited by Katpo; 06-01-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #51
focused and aiming

welcome home, vivian. that's good that dd wants to join you. it should make it easier as well as more funfor you.

vickie, i think i got offline too fast. sometimes i have quick fingers. i'll definitely work at slowing down now. i make a grocery list but usually stray from it. but as to walmart? i'm a shopaholic there. yes, i could use your help. wish we could shop together. (plus, it would be fun!)

kathy, sometimes new meds do weird things to us. dh says my snoring's gone now that i'm over the tootsie pains. what about your dh? do you think pain was causing him to snore?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #52
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Welcome back Vivian - vacations are for having fun so even if you didn't make the best choices it's all behind you now! And nice to see you have someone at home to work at this with - you and your daughter can both support each other!

Vickie - I too dont' sweat too much and I have read that actually the fitter you are the more and faster you sweat! I know when I was slimmer and more active (yes long, long ago!) I did sweat much more and usually fairly early in the workout - and this is supposedly a good thing...so our goal is to get fit enuf that we sweat buckets! ha ha ha

Kathy - I also love Grisham and Rivers Siddons and have ready many books by both! I am a library fanatic tho as I could never afford to buy all the books I read (about 4 every 3 weeks). A frouf always has her nose in a book whenever possible (that's why I was so ticked off that I forgot to bring a book w/me today to read while in the dr's waiting room - supreme lost opportunity there!).

Now for dr appt - showed her my chart of bp readings from drugstore which are generally pretty okay (like 126/78) but of course readings always higher in dr's office - and she is not suprised by that (140/80). Very happy w/weight loss but actually stressed the eating and exercise more. Said she has seen people lose just a little bit of weight but bp decreased due to new and better eating habits! Most of the rest of the discussion was about the drug approval process and recent drug recalls as she knows I work at Health Canada in the drug review directorate! (and boy are we always in the news!). Going back in 3 months for further monitoring!

So whoever said don't go shopping when hungry was right! Was going to pick up 6 yr old at school on my way home but stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things - so 2 cubes of cheddar cheese, and some cubes of this meditteranean flatbread (it was AWESOME - fluffy and buttery tasting) landed in my mouth. But the worse was when I was leaving (5:15) checked my pocket and realized I NO LONGER HAD MY CAR KEYS ON ME!!! Panic, panic - called dh asap and sent him off to pick up ds (needs to be picked up by 5:30) and then of course he had to come "rescue" me.

I did manage to leave my cart and checked out my van and yes there were the keys right there on the seat - I think they fell out of my raincoat pocket (yes it started pouring w/thunder and lightning). Luckily everything is in close vicinity so dh was able to get to ds on time and was at my location shortly after 5:30 pm - boy did I feel stupid locking my keys in the van! But at least they weren't lost somewhere. And of course while I was waiting for dh to arrive I was still hungry so was picking at the deli meat I bought - luckily it was lf oven roasted turkey breast.

Ate a nice dinner - you'd think I was full right? but nooooo - found a bag of baked cheetos so i ate some of those - then had to have a sf/lf fudge bar to follow - so not that I ate supremely bad things - just ate too much stuff. The weirdest thing is while my tummy feels a bit bloated I still have thing hungry feeling inside...is that possible? Might drink more water, but hate having to get up at night to pee!

House looks great - I am following everyone around to make sure they don't mess up! Except I found the "motherlode" under 18 yr old's sink in his basement bathroom - seems to be a good place for him to stash garbage, and dirty clothes and towels!!! Can you believe this? Of course I emptied it all out on the floor and he is not very happy with me.

What tipped me off you might ask? Well here I am at the linen closet checking out my supply - as you know we are having houseguests this weekend. I have washed the linens and comforter but my towel shelves sure seemed empty? Where are all my towels??? checked dd's room (she is notorious for like 3 towels per shower) but only 1 or 2 there! Then the lightbulb moment - went down to ds bathroom and bingo - tons of towels there both on the rack and under the sink - they are now in the laundry and will hopefully be fresh and clean very soon. I swear I was about to go out and buy more towels!!!!

Frouf

20 LBS OFF BY CRUISE TIME - January 21, 2012!!

Last edited by Froufy; 06-01-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #53

frouf, im with you there. Now that the kids have been out of school since May 18th, I cant keep the house clean, as soon as I clean they are messing it up as I go. I have to stay on their backs to pick up after themselves by the minute.

Congrats on your weightloss Terry. Tom is visiting me and I cant get enough of the pineapple either, I think I have ate some everyday for the past couple of days it just tastes so sweet when it's fresh. I guess it beats a candy bar though.

Vickie, I wish I could shop like you. I spend about $130-$150 a week, it is for a family of 5 though.

Sandra, we dont have that kind of sf syrup so I got some smuckers sf syrup it only has 30cals. so not too bad. I have no clue where to look for kasha around here. I did by the cereal kasha though. Are your sweet and sour meatballs core? I will go look at your post and print it.

I did really good today on core except for the 4points for the bread at lunch. It's hard to live with a bread man, Saralee has this bread it's whole wheat and it's so good, but 4 points for 2 slices. I asked him to bring me home the other wheat bread he sometimes brings home its 0 points for 1 slice or 1point for 2. would be a better choice for me.

I think I have made a different core recipie everynight that I have gotten off of this site. He has been so good to eat them. He is the pickiest eater. I've been sneaking ww pasta and brown rice into the meals and he cant tell the difference. Then I inform him a couple of weeks later that he has been eating it for awhile and then he's ok with it. I did that for ground turkey too. He thought I was crazy one time when I told him to go buy some ground turkey. Then when I told him he had been eating it for weeks he was speechless.

ULTIMATE GOAL:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/]
Old 06-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #54
focused and aiming

kiss, (caroline?), i think the sweet and sour meatball recipe is here. if not, let me know and i'll post it. i do know i got mine off the net. i just don't remember where.

you might find kasha over near the flour. it's in with things like oat flour, soy flour, stuff like that. kasha is buckwheat kernals. it's not a flour. let me know if you find it. i think the smuckers syrup will work. you might not even have to use much splenda with it either.

dh and i just watched phantom of the opera. i've been crying. it was beautiful. soooo romantic. i guess i needed a good cry.

i snacked on strawberries, ff cool whip and a little granola tonight instead of popcorn. sure felt spoiled.

got to go. see ya tomorrow. night night.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:32 AM   #55

Good morning everyone! We're back, we had a great time, I did pretty well with my eating, etc...

Gotta get back in to life today. It's a school day, and I'm so totally unprepared. Then middle dd has preschool graduation today, and I NEED to go grocery shopping.

And to top it all off, it's my 30th birthday today!! I didn't quite hit my goal of 120 by my 30th, but I think 122 should count, don't you?

I'd better get my kiddos in the tub, and wash off all the grime and sunscreen from yesterday.

I'll get back on later and be able to spend more time.

It's good to be back!

Angela

Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #56

Hey! Happy birthday!!! I think you've done a super job of reaching your goal -- and 2 pounds doesn't matter one bit! And welcome home!

I'm a touch better today but feeling cranky. I have to call the doctor's office to get some hormones; I've been out for a while and found some leftover patches that I've been wearing, but they expired last year. Those expiration dates DO mean something, by the way, because I might as well be taping Saran Wrap to my tummy for all the good they're doing!

And I have a toothache, but I know it'll go away. When I broke my jaw, I got a lot of nerve damage in my face and from time to time, I'll get some pain in a spot or two. There's nothing wrong, just an inflammed nerve, and it'll be gone soon but meanwhile it hurts.

I have no food at work except for what's in my cabinet, and some leftover pinto beans from Monday that I guess I'll have for lunch. I'd rather not eat today, just fast and drink water and sit in the proverbial corner to think about things ... but I know that's not a good idea.

Happy day to all.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #57
Southside White Sox Fan

Kathy, I'd be afraid to go to sleep! I'm glad you got your books since maybe it will distract you from having bad dreams. Unless it's that darn medicine. Any hopes of getting that adjusted? You'll make the best decision for yourself before Saturday. I hate it when I'm indecisive too. Sometimes I just tell Jim to decide! Then I complain about his decision. How does he put up with me?

Frouf, I would just love to see a reality TV show of your house. I bet it would be falling down, tears running down your face funny. I cannot even imagine the look on your face when you looked under DS's sink. You should have been suspicious when he managed to clean up so fast. Imagine the smell if you hadn't found the towels as quickly as you did! I hadn't heard the fitter/sweatier theory. I guess I should be worried that I hardly sweat? Hmmmmm. I think I'll ask my Doc about that the next time I see him.

Angela, if I were you, I would consider my 30th birthday goal met! Did you really believe it was possible when you set it so many months ago? I think you should have a fabulous birthday and consider yourself a huge (or little since you lost so much weight) success! Welcome home. I missed your posts yesterday morning.

Sandra, did you watch Phantom the movie? I saw the play but I have rotten ears and couldn't hear all the dialogue. I'd like to see a movie. Is there a good version or is there only one. I always enjoy a good cry. I'm the girl who crys every Christmas when they trot out that Maxwell House coffee commercial when Peter comes home to surprise his family and makes the coffee before they get up. Yep, I cry every year. Jim thinks it is just hysterical! I'm glad you found something to watch to relieve your boredom and also some Core snacks to fill up the little hole you had in your tummy. You are going to be sucessful at this. I can tell.

Anna, my Walmart trip was just for cleaning supplies/toiletries/paper supplies. I only bought a few groceries. I don't even want to examine my real grocery bill. It's probably very high for 2 people! I only do Walmart about once a month so it's ok. Better than buying that stuff at the grocery store where it is REALLY expensive. It's good that you have access to healthy bread too. I'm sure your Hubby will be happy to bring you home the other kind. My Dad was a milkman (ok NO jokes here!) so I grew up with unlimited amounts of milk (including chocolate) and cheese and all kinds of wonderful dairy products. Whenever I was hungry my Mother would just tell me to go have a hunk of cheese. Great! A big part of my struggle every day on Core is having to eat this FF stuff. I actually love cottage cheese and I got myself to be able to eat the 2% kind but this FF stuff is just not good dairy to me. I have to mix fruit in. So, the fact that you'll eat the lower point bread to still have your sandwhiches is a BIG accomplishment. Good for you!

Well, gotta go eat breakfast and exercise. Gotta face the music tonight so I need to get crackin. I'll talk with you all later. Have a Core-ific day.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #58
Athlete in Training

Good morning fellow Core-ers!

I'm so sleepy. This is my third day of getting here early and I haven't gotten anything close to a good night's sleep all week. Maybe I'll start seeing Kathy and her smiling cats in the trees soon. Last night I shopped, cooked, and cleaned, did my Core Secrets workout and went to bed. As you can imagine, I was wired and couldn't sleep. The other really not smart thing I did was drank a huge glass of water before bed (I was thirsty from the workout), so when I finally did fall asleep, I had to get up three times to go to the bathroom.

So here's my sage advice (or maybe it's nutmeg): Don't exercise before bed. Don't drink a lot before bed.

Welcome back Angela -- and HAPPY BIRTHDAY I think 122 is an amazing weight and you have a whole lot to be proud of. When I started I had to lose an entire you and then some. Enjoy your day!

Welcome back Vivian. I agree with what's been said about vacations. They're special times to enjoy. Don't sweat a small gain; you'll get the weight off now that you're back in your routine.

Kiss, I love trying different recipes too. In fact, since I've been on core I haven't repeated a dinner -- and I have a lot of new recipes left to try. There's just so many ways to prepare core foods!

Sandra - I just bought a pint of ripe strawberries and can't wait to enjoy them. I dip mine in white chocolate ff pudding - yum! I also bought watermelon, banana and mango -- so I'm ready to enjoy lots of great fruit. Maybe a nice fruit salad . . .

Kathy we're doing Mexican tonight too. I found a recipe in a WW book called Speedy Pork tostadas. I found those tortillas that calculate to 0 points, but my WW leader told me I still have to count a point for them. Anyway, it'll be fun to have something with a tortilla (which I haven't done since I started core).

Vickie - Shilo is still out of sorts. They pulled two teeth, so the poor thing is on pain medication. She ate her biscuit this morning, but you could tell she was struggling to chew it. I have two dogs, so she knows that if she doesn't eat her biscuit, the other dog will. I think that's what motivated her to chew through the pain. The hearing seems marginally better, but there's still a problem.

So you're a mad planner too? I have a calendar with my exercise planned til the marathon, mealplans for each week, a spreadsheet to record my weeklies complete with a graph of my progress, and written weight loss / size goals for the remainder of this year. Obsessive?? -- ahhh yes.

Frouf - I like your doctor's point of view. The weight loss is a happy result of eating right and exercising, but it's the good food and consistent exercise that contribute to health and fitness. Too many doctors are focused on scale (like most of us!). It's possible to be thin and unfit, as conversely it's possible to be overweight and fit.

I'm always interested in people's reactions when I tell them I'm planning to do my third marathon. You get those looks like - how can a 200+ pound woman complete a marathon. Or if you tell someone you're going to the gym - some people assume you're just going there to pick someone up. Well folks, it's what you do, not how you look, that determines what you're capable of. {roaring applause as Terry steps down from her soapbox}

Love to everyone -- I'll check back in later.

Last edited by Monkeypoodle; 06-02-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #59
Southside White Sox Fan

Terry, you're a crack up! And...an inspiration. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #60
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Red face Cinnamon Bun Experiment???

Hi everyone,

An exciting day here as the sun is hot and blazing - going up to 90 today(no walking at lunchtime that's for sure!) and FIRST DANCE PERFORMANCE TONIGHT - I think I am more excited than dd (who missed the schoolbus this morning and had "run out" of the emergency bus tickets she has - seems she was giving them out to her friends and taking the city bus home sometimes instead of the school bus?). Told to go scrounge around in 18 yr old's room in basement - saw TONS of loose change lying around there - so she was quite late for school.

So here I am with big cravings - wanting a muffin or something like that - tried to fight it off - but finally gave in. The "experiment" part, for me anyways, is trying to eat something like that, and not crash and burn for the rest of the day. Need to get rid of the guilt and focus on the good eating habits I have the majority of the time.

I am an "all or nothing" kind of a girl, so usually when I go off track I just get so depressed and guilty that I cave in and continue feasting and well you all know how that feels. I decided to try and eat "some" and then continue with my day.

Got a large cinammon bun (the place downstairs has awesome ones) and I started to nibble at it w/my coffee - it was delish - very fresh, doughy and sweet (did I mention PMS week is looming?). But in between I was on the phone and talking to boss, etc. I ate about half of it (or at least the "outer portion"), then looked at at and DECIDED I HAD ENUF!! I was satisfied - so I quickly wrapped up the rest and yes I THREW IT IN THE GARBAGE (to avoid later nibbling). This made me feel really good! Instead of the guilt of eating 1/2 a cinnamon bun, I feel great for ONLY eating half a cinammon bun.

Does anyone else have this problem? all or nothing? I think this is why I am so fearful of success and losing weight - it is the maintenance part of it that frightens me - I don't know how to eat just a little bit of something extra - I will just go whole hog (which is probably why I am losing the same weight over and over again?). Angela - I am looking to you as well to see how you handle maintenance and lifetime as I know this will be my biggest challenge (after the challenge of losing another 60 lbs of course)!!!

As for marathons, Terry YOU GO GIRL - screw them all (pardon my expression). I agree it's not what you look like you can do - it's what you actually CAN do - and we are all rooting for you!

I still have the rest of my core meals planned for the day (altho not much time for dinner as I get home around 5 pm and need to leave at 5:30 pm to get dd backstage and find parking- show starts at 7). Have a container of lebanese moussaka in the fridge (chickpeas,eggplant, tomato sauce, onions) or might make a greek salad if time allows. It will be a late night as the show won't end before 10:30 pm or so!

While I too organize and plan I don't think I'm at the level of Terry and Vickie - but there is certainly room to improve! Maybe a calendar w/planned exercise would be a good idea for this lazy froufie!

Angela - HAPPY BIRTHDAY - hope you gots lots of presents and cake today!

Kathy - dh just said the same thing last night - we should "sell" our story to some tv or movie scriptwriters cuz no one would believe the stuff that goes on at our house - and yes I'm sure many others would find it quite comical! (Of course we don't always see the immediate humor in some of these situations! ha ha ha). Yes the towels were still damp and getting smelly. I am happy to report - they are all UPSTAIRS now folded and ready for use (dh was also shocked as he was looking for towels the other day and could not figure out where they had all gone to???). Oh ya did I mention some of the empty beer cans and empty rum bottle under the sink as well? hmmmmm too much partying in the basement methinks!

Maybe one day I'll write a book....

Frouf

20 LBS OFF BY CRUISE TIME - January 21, 2012!!

Last edited by Froufy; 06-02-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Closed Thread