Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #61  
focused and aiming

vickie, i had a 3 phase bone scan on both feet. i'm just having a lot of pain now from "bad" feet and i finally went to a doctor. this pain's been ongoing for a long time.

reading you girls' posts about core has given me the incentive to start back tomorrow instead of waiting till monday. thank you. i needed a push.

terry, i just printed your recipes you posted today. i'll try them out.

have a good evening, girls. i'm off here to go soak my tootsies.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 PM   #62  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Sandra - sorry to hear about your "tootsie troubles" - hope you can get them fixed up soon! How is the bone scan going?

Angela - my dh also has borderline high cholesterol - and is basically not doing much about it - altho he knows he should be eatiing better and EXERCISING - studies have shown that while 20% of cholesterol can be control by diet - it is 80% affected by exercise - so get your dh moving if he is not yet doing so! I made dh switch drs as his was a quack - and just wanted to put him on meds for the rest of his life - without much follow up. Finally got him into my dr (MAJOR shortage of family doctors here) and she is checking on him every few months - so far no meds - he is also SUPPOSED to be using something I ordered call pro-fibe (I think it's www.profibe.com) which is supposed to be excellent for reducing cholesterol - my brother in Florida used it very successfully to lower his numbers which were very high (and he is a marathon runner - definitely genetic and not due to lack of exercise or bad eating!).

Hope all the kiddies are not driving you crazy.

Vickie - I read in one of those books that talks about the 5% of people that actually keep their weight off and one of their "good habits" is following their plan all week long - INCLUDING weekends! I too could learn from you as my weekends are usually off schedule and off track - I thinking sticking to Core over the weekend would certainly do me some good!

Kathy - good luck w/the furniture moving - hope you have someone to help you out???

Melissa - sorry you are still feeling under the weather! Hope you feel better soon!

Well I kinda blew it tonight - I think I see a pattern of Friday night pre weigh-in sabotage? does this make any sense to anyone? Why would one do this?

Came home - yes I was hungry - had 2 eggs, and some toast (2 slices), and a glass of milk - still hungry - had 1 more toast w/peanut butter and more milk!.....then wanted something sweet - so I ate an orange...then I found in my drawer one of those TUBES of mini M&Ms - yes I ate CHOCOLATE - those teeny tiny little m&ms - until I realized they were soooo sweet - ate about one ounce (half the container) then sent ds downstairs to deliver them to dh - and ds came back and "delivered" the kiss dh gave him for me - too cute!

...and I did penance - I find I am now feeling a bit guilty if I don't exercise!!! How absurd is that? As were out for lunch today I did not get my walk in so I actually did 40 mins on the treadmill tonight (3.1 mph, 1.5% incline)...and mostly because dh bought the new tv/furniture stand we needed! Our treadmill is in our bedroom, and I specifically bought a tv to encourage treadmill use upstairs (altho I vowed never to get a tv for the bedroom as I don't believe in this!). TV was on a table (standard 30" height) but being a short frouf when on the treadmill, I can barely see over the "console" to watch the tv and it's been such a nuisance. Found this 36" unit (with a door and shelves inside - light colored like our bedroom furniture) at IKEA a while ago, but always out of stock - kinda forgot about it.

Until I came home and was "surprised" as dh went out and bought it and assembled it so I freaked when I got to the bedroom - everyone is very excited!...and I even love the storage inside (yes the top of the tv was getting cluttered w/dvd's, exercise videos, etc). Now we can put them all away inside the unit! So I tried it out and it's just perfect - I can see great while I'm walking! YIPPEE! only burnt about 233 calories and I hope this made a dent in my M&Ms fiasco.

Not hopeful for a good weigh-in tomorrow

Frouf

Last edited by Froufy; 05-13-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:58 PM   #63  

Well, he just found out about his cholesterol today, so no action plan as of yet. He's more open to exercise than change in diet, so maybe I'll push that. He's kind of the "exercise feverishly for 3 days and then stop for the next 3 months" type though. Although, I can't say anything at this point, as my exercise has been pretty much nothing for the last several weeks. Maybe we should start doing some exercise together NO, I didn't mean THAT!

One family came to get their kids - one to go...

Angela
Old 05-13-2005, 10:09 PM   #64  
Melissa

Red face

Angela, you are brave with all of those kids coming to your house! Hope you survived! But it sounds like a good trade off. My DH has also got high bp, cholesterol, and history of heart trouble in the family. Dr. just recently put him on bp and thyroid meds. And he's only 27. Its crazy. But he's really gotten into running (which he did back in high school) so we're hoping that helps. Plus I don't buy as much junk anymore, mainly because we don't have the budget for it! Hope you can "convince" your DH into a course of action.

Vickie, you are so sweet. Thanks for your encouragement about DH's job situation. He is trying to stay positive, its a struggle! He has a couple of jobs that he is hopeful about though, the one at the tv studio and another at a church. So we'll see. Sorry your steak wasn't very good. But I hope you all had fun anyway. And hope your elbow is feeling better!
Oh and I do plan on going to the doctor if things don't straighten up. I'm feeling better tonight than I did this morning. I took a pregnancy test yesterday that was negative and TOM came today but its light, so I don't know what's going on with me.

Frouf, I'm going to look into that ProFibe for DH. I also had a run-in with some s tonight. What a good surprise from your DH! And it even motivated you to exercise...I'm so impressed.

Kathy, good luck with the cleaning and moving!

I wish that I could get my core recipes organized. I just have them in documents (entrees, side dishes, etc.) on my computer. I guess that I'll just have to print them out and organize them in the recipe box. Anybody else have any creative ways of keeping things organized? I think if I could see them easier, I might make them more often.

I'm feeling somewhat better tonight, still achy and tired, congested, but a little better. I don't plan on doing much this weekend, so that's good. I'll probably be "seeing" you gals here tomorrow!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:13 PM   #65  
Card Carrying Princess

Exclamation Beware - Major Venting Below!!

I am so FUMING - I NEED TO VENT - MY DD IS MAKING ME INSANE AND I MUST BY NOW HAVE HIGH BP FOR SURE AND CORTISOL SHOOTING THRU MY VEINS!!

She is so bad, bad, bad - does not LISTEN - is this normal???

Calls me at work around 4 pm leaves a message saying she is not coming home but going to gf's house - okay fine....calls me a bit later (4:50) to say she is at Hannah's house and they (4 of them) are going to the mall shopping (she has no $$ tho). I told her okay but call me around 8:45 pm (mall closes at 9 pm) and let me know what is happening and where/when I shall pick you up (mall is a bit closer to us than hannah's place). She also asks if she can sleep over and I say no as her dad is picking her up tomorrow at 9:30 am for the weekend! She whines of course....

So she calls at 8:50 but they still want to shop?? and her backpack is at hannah's. So I say call me when you get there and i can come and pick her up! Around 9:30 pm I get a call from the ex cuz dd called him to ask if she could sleep over - he told her she should call me! Which she did not do!!!!

Luckily I had taken down Hannah's # from the call display at work! (very long and hard to spell hyphenated last name!!!). So I called her there to say I would pick her up and SHE WOULD NOT GIVE ME THE ADDRESS - can you believe it??? Can you see me getting livid. I called back a few times and was hung up on and then spoke w/Hannah who also would not give me her address!!!! After a few minutes of this nonsense I finally got Hannah to get dd on the phone and I demanded the address (217 she says - what street - I don't know - FIND OUT!!!!) - around 10:20 pm I finally set off to pick her up (around 10 mins away).

I am just fuming of course - Hannah's dad comes to the door - sends his ds to get dd - we chat a bit - I explain dd DID NOT have permission to sleep over - he seems oblivous and says he did not even know hannah was bringing all these girls over - ha ha ha. I mention Hannah would not give me the address when I called - he does not react?

After a few minutes of waiting he finall calls Hannah (and company) downstairs - she just looks at me - he tells her to say hi - which she does - and I say I guess you don't talk to strangers or give out your address??? (her words when I called to ask her for the address before she abruptly hung up on me) ...and walk out!

So told dd she was grounded for 2 weeks - lots of whining and shouting in the car (it's too long - you are ruining my life - why can't I do what I want - I called you as requested and I wanted to sleep over) She acknowledged not calling at 9:30 cuz she wanted to stay longer (did not want to give me address to get her!) and to sleep over. Does not want to go to her dad's - etc...etc....I keep telling her I don't have to explain my reasons (after I have already explained once and all I get is why? why??). I am the parent you are the child - I make the rules - you follow them - not a hard concept???

She tells me I"m not fair and her brother does not have to follow these rules - you're right he doesn't - a) he is not you b) he is almost 19 you are 13 c) he listens you do not...... You're right I'm not fair - I tried fair and fair doesn't work with you so no more fairness!

She just doesn't get it - 13 is not 18 - not old enuf to make your own decisions - there are certain household rules she needs to follow and she just fights it all the time! I am getting so tired and exhausted from all this whining and complaining and punishing - I am FED UP! FED UP FED UP!!!!!

Thanks for listening!

Nitey nite:
)

Last edited by Froufy; 05-13-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:25 PM   #66  

Boy Froufie, I'd be screaming and tearing my hair out too! What a lot to deal with!

It really seems like she doesn't like going to her dad's - seems like there's a big blow-up every time she has to go there. I'd be wondering about that.

You have my sympathy. I'm fairly irritated with my 6-year old's snotty antics - I can't imagine the frustrations you're going through.

Hugs!
Angela
Old 05-13-2005, 11:43 PM   #67  
Melissa

Frouf,
Teenagers are crazy aren't they? We're all sending good thoughts your way.
Maybe DD needs to realize that freedom is given in exchange for responsibility? But that's so hard for a 13 year old to understand.
Glad you could come here to vent, hope that it helped.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:28 AM   #68  
Card Carrying Princess

Thanks for the support !!!
...and Melissa - that is exactly what I have been trying to tell her - w/responsibility and some maturity comes more freedom - if she can just sometimes listen and understand why I say no and ACCEPT IT - without her whining or shenanigans then things would go a lot better.

But instead I have to resort to some punishment/consequences so she will at least follow the rules!

I shall try and relax and go to bed now - and yes the venting really does help!

Frouf
Old 05-14-2005, 06:54 AM   #69  
Southside White Sox Fan

Poor Froufie. I'm glad the venting helped. Seems to me that she needs more intensive therapy. I'd be calling her therapist today. What if she had continued to refuse to give you the address. And...what is up with that other parent? Was he high or drunk. Jeez. It's hard enough. The least you could do is get some cooperation from other parents.

Busy day for me today. I'm up at 5:30. Couldn't sleep. Believe it or not, I think I injured my left wrist during therapy on my RIGHT elbow. I think I let my left arm take up all the slack on the upper body builidng machine. I swear it is always something. I'm waiting until they open so I can ask them what to do for it; ice or heat. I can't take ibuprofen just tylenol. Ugh. It feels like a deep down dull constant ache in my wrist. Very annoying.

Hope you all have a good day. I'm going to sign off because it hurts to type.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:22 AM   #70  
Closed

Good Early Saturday morning....just jumping on to say "as we speak" Frank is tearing up the carpet in this room (to install Pergo flooring) so the computer is being shut down....practically under my feet.....so I will read ALL post later and write you all how I did at W/I Trust me I don't expect anything .... but that's cool.....I just keep on keeping on........"See" you all later..........Linda
Old 05-14-2005, 08:24 AM   #71  

I had my weigh in this morning. I lost 5.4# this week, which puts me closer to getting out of the 240's. I love Core. We will be on vacation starting Sunday for the next 2 weeks, I probably will not weigh in again until we get back home. After we come back, my husband will start his yearly travel for fundraising for the homeless shelter he operates and he will usually return by Thanksgiving. We talk everyday on the cell phone. I have a good husband, but sometimes I do better when he is not home with WW. Am trying to get him to eat on Core, his blood sugar has come down since he is.
Froufy, I feel your pain with your teenager, been there, done that. When our daughter was 17-18 she just disappeared and didn't contact us and we reported her missing. During this time a female body washed up on shore, I just freaked out. Later we found out it was a Hispanic female.
I will take the terrible two's over teens anyday. My last one at home is 19 and she has been fairly good. We are picking her up from college the end of the month. I thought I wouldn't miss her but I do.
Vivian
Old 05-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #72  
Melissa

Wink

Frouf, working with teenagers is so hard because of exactly what you said--you would rather them come to an understanding on their own, but if it doesn't happen quick enough you have to impose rules and punishment to keep them safe. So frustrating. And I haven't even experienced it as a parent yet, just a youth minister, so I'm sure the stress is through the roof as a parent. I really believe though that one of these days she'll get it and understand your side of things.

Vickie, so sorry that your other arm is now hurting! We need to get you one of those contraptions that types for you and all you have to do is speak into it. How does that sound?

Linda, good luck with w/i and the floor!

Vivian, Congrats on that loss! That's really amazing. And have a wonderful vacation!

Ladies I am still feeling like a dump truck rolled over me, but going to get some meds this morning, hoping I can stop it from moving into my chest and getting bronchitis or a RI or something. Its dreary here today so I envision watching movies and doing more eating....exactly what I need. But I can't imagine exercising with how I feel so what's a girl to do?
I hope everyone else has a great Saturday! I'm sure I'll be back around later since I can't do much moving!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #73  

Height: 5'7"

Happy Saturday! I woke up to a drippy dog (Zuki) so I took him up to the vet. We had talked to them yesterday because he has to have the surgery SOON but our regular doctor is out of town this weekend. We thought we could wait, but all night long Zuki was leaking everywhere. He can't pee on his own but also can't control the dribble. This morning the vet (the other one, but she's sooo nice) tried to insert a catheter and couldn't; too much scar tissue. She's keeping him over the weekend and will go up every 3-4 hours to draw the urine out with a syringe. Then Monday morning hopefully he can have the surgery. It's a urethrostomy where they make a new opening somewhere on the underneath side that he'll pee out of -- and completely bypass the penile urethra. Icky, huh?

DH is at work all day and I just finished the furniture moving by myself. Not too bad because once I got past the carpet, it was ceramic tile and wood for the rest of the way. The cleaners should be here around noon.

After that I have to go to the fabric store to buy a buttload of buttons. The dry cleaners has been doing weird things to my buttons lately and I had three shirts this week alone lose buttons to crumbling. I was buttoning them and they just disintegrated in my hands! I'm going to replace them all on these three shirts and hope that future laundering is more successful. Maybe it was the buttons.

Melissa, I hope you feel better very soon!

Good luck on Saturday weigh-ins. I was only down one pound from last Saturday morning but I'll take it. As bad as I've been this week, I'm surprised at that.

Froufy, I don't know what to tell you. I absolutely don't. My youngest DD, now 19, has given me her share of problems but she always knew I was in total charge. I don't know how you would start trying to instill that fact if she doesn't already know it by now. Hopefully the therapist can get thru to her.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:16 PM   #74  
focused and aiming

frouf, i've done the sabotage routine, too. i think our subconscious isn't convinced we should be a smaller weight. it still sees us as larger women. i'm working now on programming. here's what i'm doing: i keep a tablet on the table next to my place. (anywhere that's convenient works) every morning at breakfast i write, " i love the way i look and feel in my size 10 clothes!" you can write a different goal you want to program your subconscious. but writing to lose weight doesn't work. it has to be something similar to what i wrote. (an end result not a process like losing) you write it in the present tense. by writing this your subconscious is getting a message that you are supposed to look and feel good in size 10 clothes. if you write this goal statement daily, one of two things will happen. 1. you'll reach your goal or 2. you'll quit writing it. why don't you give it a try?

frouf, i don't know what to tell you about dd. i guess it's hard to ground her when she's going to her dad's. will he keep her grounded or is she off to do what she wants when she's there?

angie, right now my exercising is on hold till i get my tootsies happy. i'm feeling stagnant already.

melissa, i'm an old retired school teacher so i'm into looseleaf binders. i have one that's full of core recipes. i just use dividers to separate the different categories. i keep the binder out in the open in the kitchen. that helps me. i'm anxious to hear other suggestions from the rest of you.

vivian, your excitement about core helps me more than you can possibly realize. thank you. i'm re-starting right now.

kathy, congratulations on losing that pound. i had a total binge yesterday. i dread going to tops tuesday but i will go and face that scale. i doubt i'll win any prizes. i'll probably have to pay a fine. (10 cents per lb gained)

i have a question for all of you about cereal on core? what cold cereal is core besides shredded wheat? did they ever decide about kashi good friends? i'm going to the store later and am kind of tired of shredded wheat.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #75  
Melissa

Kathy, sending good wishes to Zuki! : Hope your cleaning went well and your button-sewing too.

Sandra, thanks for the binder idea. That's what I have done in the past with other types of recipes (I am a recipe-collecting freak) and I always end up with no where to keep them or not wanting to go through the big binder. But its the most logical solution. I thought about getting one of those mini photo albums and putting them in there. Or I should maybe just put them in the recipe box, but then they are hard to just sift through.
To be really honest I don't eat core cereal. I have been eating Kashi Heart to Heart which has a little sugar in it but has so much fiber it seemed worth it since I'm not a big fan of cereal anyway. Lately I have been eating Honey Nut Shredded Wheat which is ww but has sugar in it also. Of course I haven't been losing the weight like some of those people either! But I'm just doing what I can as I can. You know? I am too sick to get off of the couch and get my CFC right now to look up others for you, but I'm sure that other ladies will have better ideas.

I think DH and I are going to watch Lemony Snickett now. That should prove to be an interesting movie.
Closed Thread