Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 03:39 PM   #76  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Arrow me again....

Back from my dr's appt - it's still pretty BRRRR!!! out there!

BP was a bit high at dr's office (could her equipment be outdated???)...but I showed her my "readings" that I have been taking since last appt and she was suitably impressed. Asked if I was doing anything different?

Well I'm glad you asked! I mentioned joining WW and she knew enuf to ask which program I was following - altho I had to fill her in on the Core details as she did not know what it comprised. She thought it was a great and healthy plan and told me to stick to it....was very surprised that I had already lost over 5 lbs! (yes I'm hoping...).

Told me to continue with the pharmacy machine readings, with the Core plan and to come back in two months.

I also discussed the blood work that was recently done - she was very happy with it. Total cholesterol around 4.9 (different measurement than in the US - I think I need to multiply by 40 to get the US equivalent)...both hdl and ldl good...blood sugar was 4.9 and crp was 6.1....so I guess the moral of the story is:

I HAD BETTER LOSE THE WEIGHT AND GET HEART HEALTHY CUZ RIGHT NOW THERE IS NOTHING MAJOR WRONG WITH ME! (My genetic history is pretty bad w/both parents having heart attacks, and mom w/angina, diabetes and kidney problems leading to dialysis - this is the road I will take it I don't do something about my weight!) Pretty scary stuff!

Froufie

Last edited by Froufy; 01-18-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:40 PM   #77  
Closed

Hi All.....just checking in to let you know I am still here....reading but haven't written.
Janette.....I hear you my friend!!! It' isn't easy when you are soooooo close. Those scales, as much as they say don't let it affect you, it does, and you are not alone Janette....I allow my success to rely so much on that darn number.
I'm hanging in there with you!! and we are all here for you too when need be, just like you are there for us with your words of wisdom!! This has got to be the best board, from what I've seen anyway. I love that we stick with the issue at hand, mixed with some 'friendly' conversation. No baloney.
Vickie good going on the banquet
Frannie you have shoveled enough snow to last several weigh ins
Froufie and Mercee - Happy Anniversary
LKTS *Laura-right?* - the weight goal you talked about sounds like I know it. WW will never tell you what you should weigh, they go by the range for your height I learned the hard way to pick the high range. I picked the lower end and paid until I got to MY choice of a goal. You are right.... pick the high range, stay there for 6 weeks become lifetime and then if you want to, go lower. As for the Dr note for weight, here if you do that, then you cannot work as a leader or Receptionist or weigher(here) when you reach your Dr. goal. I cannot speak for other areas, as you know it's all different. My area is a franchise.
I hope everyone is doing the best they can. That is all we can do. Let's face it, I say it everyday....it is on on-going battle, day in and day out. And Janette you're right, you do get bored ( well at least I do) with the same ole thing day in and day out. I can soooo relate to that. I envy those who come up with these awesome recipes. I am sooo damn tired when I get home I am in no mood to cook anything special. So I do chicken or pork, quick and simple, with a side of veggies and my applesauce. I love my applesauce Unsweetened of course
Well for the most part we are all doing good..so let's hang in there...
Hope you all have a great rest of your day/evening...and I will be back tomorrow. If I missed anyones' celebrating any thing....I apologize, it's so hard to go back to see all the post....
Let's do it!!!! Linda
Old 01-18-2005, 08:48 PM   #78  
Southside White Sox Fan

Froufie, I'm in this for the health benefit too. More so than vanity at this point but I won't deny that I'm vain too!! I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure that I'd like to cure with my diet and exercise. My blood pressure is coming down. Even with medication it was still borderline high. Now it is good but I'd like to get off of the medicine. My cholesterol was so high that I probably should be medicated but I begged for some time to get it down myself. I go again to get it checked around Valentine's Day. It's going to be my VD present to myself. That is another reason my goal is to lose 30 pounds by February 10. Although, **** at the moment I can't even get to 25! TOM is right around the corner so I keep telling myself not to be upset if I don't lose on Thursday. But....I know it will be hard to have two lame weigh ins in a row! Mercee is my idol. She had two or three lame weeks and didn't give up and had a great lose on the third or fourth week. I think I have that right.....so I'm not giving up not matter what.

Linda, I completely understand what you are saying about cooking. When I would work it was REALLY hard to come home and cook a meal. I'd get up at 4:30 to get ready and not get home until 6:00. Who wants to cook then? That's why when I retired I was determined to focus on me for a change. I still get lazy about cooking sometimes but I force myself. That's why I always try to tell you guys when something freezes well. I don't mind cooking when I can have enough left over (since it's just me and hubby eating) for another meal or a lunch. Then maybe you could cook on the weekend and freeze some meals for during the week. The Smothered Barley Chicken freezes great. So does Chili, Chicken Cacciatorre, and my Beef, Bean, and Rice Casserole. With the Cacciatorre I just freeze the sauce and make fresh pasta whenever I serve it.

Ok so since I was the one who asked the question I guess I'll go see what my goal weight is supposed to be according to WW. I'm assuming it'll be in the week one book? I'm going to look now......stay tuned for anguished scream!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:04 PM   #79  
Southside White Sox Fan

Torrey, I keep forgetting to tell you that I finished the book! I wept through half of it. Most of the time it was because I didn't know there were other people experiencing the same things as I did throughout my life of being extremely overweight. I would definitely recommend "Passing for Thin" for anyone who has been overweight all or nearly all of their life. It is inspiring and made me soul search. It also reinforced that this battle will never be truly over for me even when I get to my goal. WW makes maintenance sound kinda easy. At least I think they downplay it a bit. I know that it will be a continuing battle to say at my goal and not gain the weight back.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:18 PM   #80  
Southside White Sox Fan

This is my scream of anguish! Don't they give any credit for body frame size! Dear Lord, if you give me 5' 4" (this is rounding up), I'm supposed to weigh a maximum of 146. I'm not even sure I can get back down to 150. I guess I shouldn't worry about it until I get closer, but this was a bit of a shock! I know it's only 4 pounds but 150 is the lowest I ever was in my adult life.

Harumpf!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:48 AM   #81  

vickie, i know how you feel for sure, like i keep saying i have heavy bones! that is what i tell my leader......i have not looked at the w.w. 'goal range' yet but i like to think of it as textbook and not all textbooks are correct......right?!?!? where do they get these ranges anyway....the american heart association? the diabetes association? or does everyone have there own interpretation?! so confusing AND I have a really good feeling for you on Thursday night despite TOM !! keep your chin up

froufie.......how is the weather there. i made it into work but all schools in the surrounding 4 counties are closed.....all along the lake and inland too which is unusual......they are calling this the alberta clipper. we had over a foot of that light fluffy snow in the driveway this morning so you can guess what i will be doing after work....but that will take place of my walking.......shovelling.......will turn my music way up and dance across the driveway!!

enjoy the day! and maybe the sun!!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:52 AM   #82  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Red face

Sun?? What sun? Surely you jest? ha ha ha

Still bitter cold - about -27 this morning w/the windchill - luckily I can get into my van in our garage - and drive right into the parking garage at work so I don't have to be too exposed! Sound like you're getting some good exercise with all that shovelling Frannie - we are also expecting snow later today!

I can't imagine reaching my goal weight (I know I'm not supposed to think that way)...but if I do reach it I think it will be difficult to maintain - I would rather weigh a bit more and be able to enjoy life than feel I need to starve myself to maintain what for me might be an unrealistic goal. I plan to discuss optimal weight w/my dr, but looks like that won't be for a long while....

And as a working mom I too have that dinner panic (even tho dh is home these days - not what I would call "comfortable in the kitchen" )...so far since I am pretty motivated I am diligent in PLANNING AHEAD - without this I would go crazy!

Vickie - I am proud of you for sticking to it and I guarantee a good weigh-in despite TOM. I am almost into PMS week (I turn into a monster and eat anything that doesn't move - and if it moves...I kill it then eat it! )....so I will have some upcoming challenges. I am hoping that if all is "done" between weigh-ins I won't have an issue - I know how discouraging it can be to see the "wrong" numbers even tho we'stuck to our plan!

Okay time for more coffee!

Later,

Froufie

Last edited by Froufy; 01-19-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:11 AM   #83  

Hi all,

Glad to see we are all getting prepared for new challenges this week.

Vickie- Hang in there the weight will come off. If nothing else the health benefits are worth it. I go to the dr. in 2 weeks for new blood work so she can start to decrease my medication for diabetes. (oral) I'm hoping to one day get off meds completely my dr. said if I keep up the good work it is possible.

I agree this will be an on going battle our leader told us she still has to fight to maintain her weight and how she never lets herself gain more tha 3 lbs. She has been at goal for 2 years.

I'm wishing all of us the best with our future Dr. visits because even if the pounds are not falling off the way we would like we are changing for the better.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #84  

Froufy, congrats on the progress with the BP. My BP and cholesterol are always a bit high when I give blood, so it's one of the many reasons I'm working to lose weight now instead of later when my health has been compromised.

Vickie, I agree. I have my goal down as the WW range but I've never been that low since puberty so I don't know if I'll make it! If I feel good at a higher weight I'm definitely going to ask my doctor for a note.

I'm in TOM at the moment so I'm hoping that by my WI on Sunday I'll have lost some of the water weight. I've been great about working out - went yesterday and did my usual stuff. I tried the elliptical for the first time, and holy cow that kicked my butt. Gonna have to work up to that one.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:37 PM   #85  

laura,

i have an elliptical machine at home and i love it. and ya, it kicked my butt too! but, i got used to it! great to watch t.v. by......hardly makes any noise......

froufy.......the snow is coming your way.....shovelled off 16 inches on the deck.....took over an hour to do....big deck, great in the summer tho so am not complaining.....hubby did driveway

did not feel like eating much after that so i had a sweet potato and some beef...cottage cheese, veggies, fruit for lunch and oatmeal for breakie, just not a hungary day......

must go check out the cell phone deals, internal battery is done in my son's and in this weather i don't want him to be without too long.....

cheers,
Old 01-19-2005, 07:35 PM   #86  
Janette

Vicki, I too know what you mean about the weight ranges for our height. I thought getting to 150 was a major accomplishment for someone my age but they want me 10 lbs. lighter. I get to their goal but I can never keep it. But maybe with CORE I can do better. I did find it easy to stay there during the holidays even with some splurges and lack of exercise. But we will see how the next 5 lbs. goes. Hang in there. We can do this together!

Topic for discussion: What do yall think about those weight loss ads that have been airing, I think for Jenny Craig. One has a too skinny lady grocery shopping in her underware and the other has Christi Alley talking about being FAT and then looks at us and says "hey, you're fat too, want to join me?" Maybe my age is showing but I think they are both in bad taste, especially the nearly naked lady being oggled by the old geazer in the store. While I admire Christi for going public with her weight loss efforts that could be inspiring for some people, I find the word "fat" offensive, especially for people who are really overweight. I mean, there is enough prejudice out there without someone of her visibility putting herself down. I get that they are trying to be "honest" but why not go at the health angle? Because "get skinny" sells stupid! How do those ads make yall feel? Am I just too sensitive?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 PM   #87  
Southside White Sox Fan

Frannie, heavy bones , I'm gonna use that one tomorrow at my weigh in!!!!

I admire you all for doing the elliptical machine. I'm sure it would kill my knees.

Janette, I've only seen the commerical in fast forward. Hubby has an aversion to commercials and almost everything we watch is recorded. I'll have him stop the next time it's on. I don't think you are being sensitive. From your description, I think I would be offended too. I'm gonna go check it out. I'll let you know what I think!

Scale is not budging and I'm feeling very bloated. Someday it will budge again. I'll just keep plugging away.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:22 PM   #88  

when we least expect it to, the scale will move downward..........keep up the spirit!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:16 PM   #89  

Height: 5'7"

Kirstie Alley has that new reality show coming out this spring -- Fat Actress. Maybe they're making her use the word "fat" to sorta advertise the show? Who knows? I haven't seen either but both sounds rather tacky.

We were talking on another board today about why the weight loss ads always say "results not typical." Isn't the whole goal to lose if you join their programs? I guess it's to keep from getting sued in case someone doesn't lose as much as the person in the ad.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #90  

RE: 'results not typical' even W.W. uses that in their magazine when there is an article of a success story. it must be a legal phrase that they have to insert

i am not sure i would watch the kristi alley reality show. i give her credit for being public with her challenge; of course, it will be part of her deal with jenny craig.....joy from the view is also a jenny craig spokesperson....commericals are all the same, marketing to reach that certain crowd......i hate the one commerical from some carpet company that shows a 3 year old in a high chair dumping his food (pasta i think) on the carpet and what an easy clean up it is.........ha, does this not teach the child it is ok to dump their food on the floor?? pleeeeeeaaaasssse, i cringed when it was on and my kids were watching t.v. when they were young........blah blah.........just rambling on but i know what you are talking about for sure.

weigh in tonight........hope all goes well with everyone that way
Closed Thread