Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:28 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Holy smoke! CEREAL!

So what rock have I been hiding under? I know my food list says something like 100% whole wheat, no sugar added cereal, but never in a zillion years did I know what I was missing!

I got a box of store-brand 100% bran flakes today and am eating a bowl with skim milk. Who would even want to add sugar??? This is awesome!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 07:07 AM   #2  
Janette

I have been eating cereal w/o sugar for years. I really prefer it to a sweetend cereal. Funny what we think we can't live without until we try something different. Our taste buds have been trained and we can retrain them to enjoy tastes that aren't covered up by all the sugar.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:19 AM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I just bought spoon sized shredded wheat on the weekend out of desperation after looking at boxes of cereal for 15 minutes in the grocery store ... everything I looked at had added sugar and some even had 3 different types of sugar although they were supposed to be healthy or high fibre ect. I used to eat Kashi but that also has sugar in it.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Are bran flakes a Core cereal? The only bran listed is Post 100% and it looks like sticks not flakes.

The only Core cold cereals are:

I know it says what's included is Puffed wheat, puffed rice, shredded wheat, and 100% bran cereals that do not contain added sugar but I think the least processed bran cereals that look like the Post are the only ones that are included. They have a thread at BCB to send a letter/e-mail to W/W to clarify things so I will add the bran flakes to it and report back.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:51 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Oh darn! There goes my cereal!

I was looking at that part too, I think page 24 in the Week 1 book, where it says "Puffed wheat, puffed rice, shredded wheat ..." but I didn't see anything about Post being the only brand.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #6  

How about Fiber One, Bran Buds, All Bran? I believe those have no sugar and tons of fiber. Weetabix also? What about the low carb cereals? They have no added sugar and pretty high fiberous. Anyone else?? LOL
Peace
Vanessa
Old 09-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

Vanessa, I'll bring that up in the e-mail/letter they are sending to W/W to clarify the cerealsl.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:51 AM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

FYI I checked the CoreFoodsList and none of the 3 you listed Vanessa are Core foods.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:23 PM   #9  

What I don't get is why on earth puffed wheat and puffed rice cereals are CORE when they have next to no fibre? Can you clue me in on what I've missed?
Old 09-07-2004, 12:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

this is very interesting! I gave up on cereal because I didn't have time to sift through the hundreds of boxes on the shelves to find one. But I really would like to find something without sugar and high in fiber and all that. So I'll be keeping on eye on what Kelly finds out!
Old 09-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #11  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggerham
What I don't get is why on earth puffed wheat and puffed rice cereals are CORE when they have next to no fibre? Can you clue me in on what I've missed?
It has nothing to do with the fiber content it has to do with 'no added ingrediants' and 'little processing as possible' to be core.

And I don't think Puffed Rice is on there at all. Puffed wheat is but that is because they don't add anything and the only thing they do is 'puff' it for processing.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:36 PM   #12  

Puffed Rice is a Core Food according to WW Online.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:43 PM   #13  
Cowboy Up Chick

Ok I wasn't sure as someone had said it wasn't at one time. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:32 PM   #14  
Gym'll fix it!!

I've got a cupboard full of All Bran, Cornflakes, Rice Krispies, Special K, Weetabix etc and they all contain a couple of grams of sugars and the worst ones would you believe are All Bran with 5.5g and Raisin Bran with 11g!!! Who'd have thunk it? and what harm will 2gms of sugars do?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:40 PM   #15  
Janette

The Post Shredded Wheat and Bran is pretty good. I also find it odd that only Post and Quaker are listed when the others have the same product. Will be looking forward to the conclusion on this one.
Closed Thread