Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #76  

Height: 5'4"

Sloan..thanks so much for that info on the jar salads...

I love that idea !!!.. My goal is to go grocery shopping on Sundays and make a few soups for the week too.. I would have never guessed the salads would keep like that and the idea to layer them is genius.. That would be great for traveling too.
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #77  
focused and aiming

Sloan, I just clicked the link and am going to check out the jar salads when I finish posting here. Thank you in advance for the tips.

Nancy, I always enjoyed a kitchen with barstools and bar, too. Good times were had hanging around the kitchen.

Rhonda, your house IS perfect for gatherings. I am so happy for you and Doyle and for having you in my life. Happy Anniversary to you both. It doesn't seem like 6 years. Seems like just the other day you two got married.

My friend was coming out at 2 today but had to cancel. We're just going to piddle around here today. Another friend from Houston (not the couple who were here Thanksgiving) will be here for a visit tomorrow. We're actually turning into social butterflies.

My eating is back on track in spite of eating at Chicken Express. Just put some fat into my arteries; but, boy, was it good!
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Groan, I'm not allowed to eat again until Christmas!!!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #79  
focused and aiming

Rhonda, I understand.

Sloan, I shared your Jar Salad idea link on my FB wall. Folks are already talking about its being a good idea. Thank you for sharing. Share more please.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #80  

I thought the jar salads were a cute idea, but I'm hard-pressed to believe that they will stay good for 5 days. I have some of those bags and containers that keep produce fresh longer, and they really work well.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Here is a pic of a practice cake that I made today. I may need to make a couple more before the wedding, so I feel comfortable with the design. My sister and niece really like it, so that makes me feel better. I have been pretty nervous about this project.

Rhonda, I have not tried the jar salad myself, but there are several bloggers that say they have success with them. Maybe Sandra can give us a report
Attached Images
File Type: jpg practice cake.jpg (38.6 KB, 9 views)
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #82  
focused and aiming

Sloan, the cake looks beautiful. Question--what happens with these practice cakes?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #83  

Congrats sloan on passing your class. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a beautiful cake.

Rhonda, I get to missing my parents on holidays too. I have always been the cook and the last 2 yrs we've been in Florida. At least the kids get together for dinner and eventually I'll be back in KY to cook for them. My granddaughter started helping me the last couple years. Happy 6 years.

Sandra, you are becoming a social butterfly for sure. I bought a store bought pumpkin pie and was so disappointed. I always make mine and this year decided not to and bought one. Next year, I bake my own.

Hope Maryann is enjoying her stay in NY.

Hey Vickie.

Nancy, your daughter really packs in the miles. My sis runs too, but not that far. Maybe 5 miles.
pam920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Sandra, this practice cake (along with a gift card) is going to be given to the teacher at my school who helped me with my Statistics class. She has two children who patiently waited several afternoons after school for her to work with me. Hopefully they like cake. When I make the next one, I will probably give it away as well. DH is diabetic, DS has lost 90 pounds, and I am as fat as ever, so having cake here is not a good idea.
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #85  
focused and aiming

Sloan, those are wonderful gifts.

Pam, we got the pumpkin pie from Braum's. So far I've never gotten anything there that wasn't good. I really really like their pecan pies.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #86  

The cake looks wonderful, Sloan. I got all the desserts out of here yesterday--took them to church coffee hour. A number of other people did the same thing.

Pam, I made a pumpkin pie, using pumpkin pie spice. It was not as good as using the separate spices. That's sweet that your granddaughter helped you. I should find a way to get the kids involved in the preparations. Some of them are getting old enough, and even the youngest could do some little things.

I told my former sister-in-law about missing my mother and sister and she said that if we did this party next year she would come and spend the night before with us and help me get ready. Isn't that sweet? She is 6 years older than I am and is the person alive who has known me the longest (well, except for my brother who is non-functinal really). Sandra, she is the one you met at the wedding and we went to lunch with her once.

Hmmm, Braum's make a pecan pie...might have to check that out for Christmas. I like the recipe on the back of the Karo syrup bottle. I like chocolate that some people add to it, but it is also gilding the lily--pecan pie is sweet enough.

My trainer cancelled his sessions today-- I guess his holiday weekend was a bit much. I think I'll see if DH wants to go to see Lincoln. I heard that the Life of Pi is great too.

I woke up at 4AM, and I'm going to go back to bed for an hour or so....then off to tap practice. We have 3 performances this week and I hope my foot holds out. It gave me fits this week.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #87  
focused and aiming

Rhonda, I remember her. She's a sweet lady. You will have fun preparing the meal together. Makes me smile. Braum's pecan pie is frozen. I have been buying them for years. I really like them. for your foot holding out. How about a video here for us?

I thought we were having company this morning but plans have changed and she'll come tomorrow afternoon. I have wi in the morning. It will be bittersweet as this will be our leader's last meeting with us. I am happy for her but will miss her.

Have a Marvelous Monday.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #88  

Please read this. you probably know it, but I didn't know about seville oranges or limes.....

http://healthyliving.msn.com/disease...-study-finds-1

Sandra, we don't seem to have a videographer this year.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #89  
focused and aiming

Probably a good thing we don't like grapefruit.

Wish you had a videographer.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #90  

I knew about grapefruit, but not the other fruits.

Rhonda, hope your foot holds up.

Sandra, good luck with WI tomorrow.
pam920 is offline   Reply With Quote