Old 08-08-2011, 03:21 AM   #1  
hopeless but harmless

Height: 5' 5"

Default Weekly chat 8th-14th August

Morning all

Is Sloanie on holiday? Haven't seen a post from here for a while, or have I missed them?

Last edited by jojo23; 08-08-2011 at 07:45 AM.
jojo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #2  

Morning chickies. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Sloanie is 2 hrs from me and it's been so hot here and school is starting this week, so maybe she is busy with that.

Maryann, good to see your smiling face again. Sounds like you had a great time while you were gone.

I had to reformat my computer last night. It was running out of memory, tried to shut down to reboot. Then shut it down manually and couldn't get it to start at all. Backed up my files and reformatted. Of course I've lost all my bookmarks, etc. I do have them on disk. Can I just put in disk and bring it all back? I'm pretty good on computer but some things still confuse me.

I've done pretty good the last 2 days on my diet and only doing 20 min. on treadmill, but that's a start. My sis is running a half marathon in Sept or Oct. Kudos to her. I can't run with my bad knee but would like to walk a 5K one of these days.

Hope we all have a good week ahead.

jojo, thanks for the new thread.
pam920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks! It's still warmish here but nothing like the heat in Texas. I was in the pool yesterday and enjoyed myself immensely. May not be able to get in this week as the temps will be in the low 80's. We'll see if the pool water holds.

JoJo, I feel for you. My Mom died of Alzheimer's but she suffered with it for years before she succumbed. It was back in the late 80's all the way to 1999 when she died. Hardly anyone knew what it was back then. I know exactly what you are going through and how much it can pain your heart. Let me know if there is something I can do to help.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

Grandson and I had such a nice weekend. Visited relatives in Columbia, SC Friday and met my brother in Charleston, SC Saturday. We explored Sunday up the coast from Charleston to Wilmington, then he fished off a pier at Holden Beach til 11 pm. We got home at 2:30 am so I am going to be lazy today. He caught a small shark so that made his day..
Found a little quaint & charming town named Georgetown, SC that I would love to live in someday. Even met a lady in a coffee shop there that invited me to come stay with her to explore the area.
Probably the first trip since Robin died that I actually enjoyed. The others were friends trying to get me out of the house but I was way too sad to enjoy.
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #5  
Southside White Sox Fan

Nancy, I'm happy for you. It's ok to be happy, you know. That's the mistake I always made while grieving....that I wasn't being loyal if I was happy. NOT true.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #6  
hopeless but harmless

Thanks Vickie. I don't think any of us can know what it's like for the relatives unless we are going through it. I know I didn't know the half when I was a nurse. My mum is just a shell of what she was. As well as the dementia she has a detached retina from rubbing at her eye, total urinary incontinence, third stage kidney disease and auditory hallucinations. She is 91.

I've had an e-mail from Sloanie she is OK just very, very busy. Her daughter is getting married in October and Sloanie is making all the invitations and decorations herself.

I know what you mean Maryann 'Children' I know well, turn up on my doorstep as young adults and I've not noticed them growing up.

It's 20 past 8pm and we are watching on TV the riots across London. The fires and damage is appalling. It's started in Birmingham now.

Talk to you all tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #7  

no one answered me... When does this challenge start? was it last week? if so, I did lose a pound from last week. Let me know
Old 08-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

JoJo, my Mom was "diagnosed" at age 69 and she died from its complications when she was 79. So many horrors. One never expects to have to change their Mom's diapers but I, too, have been there. We finally had to put my Mom in a nursing home because it was unsafe for her to even live with family as she had to be watched, 24/7. I lived with her until I was 35 when I moved in with Jim. Then we had a Niece move in with her for a couple of years until they couldn't care properly for her anymore. She was safe in the nursing home but declined eventually. She lost all verbal skills which was really sad as she was quite the talker. She remembered me the longest. I was her baby and friend and lived with her the longest. She was with me on my wedding day to Jim and actually had a moment of lucidity when she saw me in my wedding dress. It was almost my undoing. It was shocking the day she no longer recognized herself in a mirror. She became horribly upset with the stranger to the point that we had to cover the mirrors. I also remember the day we left my middle Sister's house after visiting for a while. She shook my Sister's hand on the way out and said "It was SO nice to meet you". I left my Sister sobbing in her kitchen. Hideous, HIDEOUS disease. I and my Sisters hope that they find a cure soon as we are afraid to get it too. They didn't even have any medicine back then so improvements have definitely been made. You have my prayers and good thoughts.

Pam, I think the starting weigh in was today but I'm not sure.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

JoJo, I'd also recommend the book, The 36 Hour Day. It's been revised several times now but was quite enlightening for me. It was available at my library and Amazon.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #10  

how sad to read your stories. No one in my family ever had Alzheimers. My great grandma might have. We all thought it was senility back then, when I was a kid. My MIL has it and so far, she knows the 2 daughters that live near her and her husband. When my husband visits, she sometimes knows him and then doesn't a few minutes later. I remember her early signs of the disease, the repeating, etc. She always asks about me when my husband calls her. She has gotten really strong since they took her gallbladder out, but her mind is going so fast. It's so hard on my FIL, seeing her like that. It's such a heart-breaking disease. Hugs to both of you {{jojo and Vickie}}
Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #11  
focused and aiming

Pam, I think the challenge started today. That's when I started anyway. Congrats on losing last week. And kudos to your sister for running a marathon. I couldn't even walk one.

I haven't had a loved one with alzheimer's unless my maternal grandfather had it. All I remember was that he had dementia. I remember his not knowing me one time. It is a horrible horrible disease. I think I would rather lose my body than my mind.

So far today I'm making outstanding eating choices. Hope you're all doing well. It's good to be working this together. Life is good.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #12  

Why do i eat worse the very first day i decide i am going to start a diet.??
I ate fast food for breakfast & lunch today..Very unlike me..

My cousin thinks its an internal protest..that I am not ready to do a strict diet..
Perhaps I am better off just maintaining..

I am going to try a notebook where I plan meals on 1/2 the page and then write actual food eaten on the other side if the page.

Jojo
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #13  

Pam..I think its exactly 20 weeks from Sunday (8th) til Christmas day.
I tried on clothes today and felt so frumpy..Always easier to hide fat under winter clothes for me than summer clothes.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:30 AM   #14  
hopeless but harmless

PAM We can start whenever we want. The final WI will be Christmas Day. It's just 20lbs in 20 weeks seems a good spur to get us going.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #15  

Morning chicks.

I've been doing well but still having too many snacks. I ate the last skinny cow ice cream bar and will not buy anymore. They are so good and only 100 calories. Fruit it is. I am exactly the same weight as yesterday.

I go to the dr today for that mole. It's gotten smaller but I'm still going. If I remember right, I think I got this last winter and it would get bigger than smaller and I always thought it was a pimple. With my sis having to deal with basal cell, I think it best to get it checked. Hopefully it's nothing.

Nancy, I seem to fight this diet thing too. Not sure why. Never had a weight problem until my mid 40's. Never had to worry about anything I ate. Now, I have to watch every bite. Just not fair (whining)!!!!

Sandra, you go girl. We can do this.