Old 12-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #31  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks! I was up until 1:00 and slept until 10:00 so my day is slow to start. I haven't even eaten breakfast yet but wanted to check in quickly before I start to catch up to where Jim and everyone else is!

Sloan, it's always so great to hear from you. I wish we all lived closer to each other so we could be more daily support. I'd love to walk with you.

Nancy, so sorry about your pup. It's always painful to lose a cherished friend even if they wear fur jackets. I consider Brodie my fur child and not just a dog. Hugs to Robin and I hope you are feeling better too.

Rhonda, how are you feeling? I'll try to check out your website later.

JoJo, I was worried about you and I'm glad you're back and seeming as chipper as one would hope. Sounds like you got some great deals.

I hope Mary Ann is doing well with her kids and that blizzard.

I have a couple of returns to make today and I need to try to get some new dog food for Brodie. The stuff I bought for him was too rich and I need to find something else.

I'm on program but not enjoying it so much after the season's excesses.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #32  
focused and aiming

Sloan, walking and tracking. You go, girl!! I'm so glad you have a gf to walk with. Curtis and I do a lot of saddling up but hardly ever ride. We need to get out and walk more.

JoJo, I understand. And I also know you'll have good neighbors wherever you go. I need to get me some new clothes. I have "stuff" I refuse to wear cuz I don't think it would pass inspection on "What Not to Wear." That causes me to wear the same old stuff over and over. (And that stuff prob wouldn't pass the test either.)
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #33  

Height: 5'4"

Robin is having a better week this week than last week.
He is feeling up to taking walks down the hall and having more visitors.

We found yesterday that he has a Philadelphia Chromosome type ALL.
We are trying to read and understand this but the Dr says it requires a
drug called Gleevic (sp?) that he will need to be on the rest of his life.
We were told it is more aggressive than ALL without it but today the Dr seems very positive about still having a good shot at a full recovery....
It gets to the point that we are already dealing with something so
serious that another component doesn't change our outlook much.
We are aware how serious this is but still hopeful for healing..

I am holding off on a decision about my dog..She does okay during the day but has problems at night with nausea. We are going to get her a heated dog bed and see if sleeping in the colder air will help her ..
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #34  
Southside White Sox Fan

You GO Robin!!!! Walks are a great sign. Never heard of that chromosome situation but I'm sure Sloan has heard of it.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #35  
focused and aiming

Nancy, I am glad ya'll are keeping as positive an attitude as possible. That's important. Also am glad you're waiting on the pup. Your emotions are not at a place for you to be making that kind of decision. And great news about Robin's walking and having more visitors. How are you holding up? How's your cold?

Vickie, we were here same time. I just saw your post. Kudos for being back op!

Got to go. The timer's blaring. Cornbread/beans/greens ready!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #36  
Southside White Sox Fan

Sandra, I'd LOVE some cornbread. I'll be right over!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #37  

Height: 5'7"

I'm behind in reading already! Just wanted to pop in and say hey.

I just finished one quilt (pink and brown, the one for our waitress) and am starting another. I have an order for two aprons that I should be making but one is for a 4-year-old and I need to borrow the child next door to measure her as a pattern. They aren't home so that'll have to wait a while. The quilt I'm starting is green and blue and will be for some future, yet-to-be-conceived grandchild. I'm making a few ahead in case something happens to me.

Yesterday I cleaned out the fridge and threw out all the Christmas leftovers, so now I'm having to cook. I guess it's a good time to get back on the regular eating schedule and plan though.

I have been stockpiling crosses for the wall. There's a wall in the upstairs living room that's screaming for something like this, so I've been buying them for a few months. I'm making goals for lifestyle changes to coincide with January 1. At the end of each week that I stick to it, I will hang a cross and log it in my journal. These weekly milestones will hopefully help to break bad habits and re-establish new ones.

Prayers and hugs for you all.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Vickie, you are so sweet. I wish we all lived closer, too. What fun we would have. I appreciate your vote of confidence, but I have not heard of the Philadelphia chromosome. I have just read up on it, though. It sounds like having the chromosome used to be very serious, but with this new drug that Robin will be on, cure rates have really improved.

Nancy, I'm so glad that Robin is feeling better. Sounds like his docs are on top of things, too. When a loved one is sick, it is so easy to project yourself into the future, but the truth is that we don't know what tomorrow will bring, and God works miracles, even today. Sometimes those miracles are unexplained, and sometimes those miracles come through the application of modern medicine. I'm praying for one of those miracles for Robin. I'm also praying for peace that passes all understanding for you!

Jojo, I hit the sales, too. I got two beautiful curtain rods for my living room for $8.50 each. They had been $30 each; too good to pass up!

Sandra, your lunch sounds good. Do you have enough for one more?

GTG get some work done! bbl

Last edited by sloanie; 12-30-2010 at 02:55 PM.
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #39  

My cold.
I had those cold symptoms Monday and rested Mon & Tues away from the hospital. I was able to go shop for things that he had mentioned like a bigger clock, favorite popsicles, softer toothbrush ect .
Then by Wed am the Dr cleared me to be back in the room because I don't
have any cough, sneezing or symptoms.
His daughter stayed with him while I wasn't able to so it gave them some time ..

He has been writing notes to each family member but they aren't really like
"final parting notes" I just think of them as thoughts that he wants to share while everyone is paying attention. We have some youth in our extended family
that are headed down bad paths and he hopes his wisdom may help them.

Funny story..I am holding up pretty good but the emotions are close to the surface..I was shopping at Walmart getting the things for him and the regular checkout line was 15-20 people deep. I quickly counted my items and thought I was near 20 so I got in the express line. As I was putting my stuff
on the checkout counter the man behind me said gruffly "I thought this was the 20 item line " I looked at him and the tears came and I started babbling
& crying about being sorry, I tried to count, hubby in the hospital, just getting him his favorite stuff, how tired I was yadayada. He looked like
a deer in the headlights and assured me it was okay... I bet he never
does that again LOL

Last edited by nancy237; 01-09-2011 at 12:39 AM.
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Nancy, one day when I went to see my late husband in the hospital the door to the hallway to the patients' was closed and locked. There was no sign on the door, just a closed, locked door. That was it. I fell to the ground in a heap of tears. Those emotions are right THERE. Respect them. That man's turn will come, and hopefully he will remember your situation.

I've spent all day dealing with difficult issues related to my brother. He is likely being thrown out of an assisted living place and we have no way to take care of him. We have everyone we can find working on it, but the crisis is upon us soon.

Then, I had to find out why I don't have my Medicare number, only to find out that the person who said that she was taking care of it, isn't. It should be sorted out on Tuesday. But, that is a minor tribulation.

Kathy, your plan sounds good, and I hope it helps you.

BBL
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #41  
focused and aiming

Nancy, it breaks my heart reading what you and Robin are going through. I admire your courage and also Robin's determination to reach out to help others. I am keeping you both in my prayers.

Rhonda, I didn't realize you were having to deal with those issues with your brother. I hope all goes well and everything is solved in a way that's beneficial for all of you. And your telling about that incident at the hospital? That is so sad. I am always impressed with your upbeat attitude. I can tell you work at having it. You're another strong woman.

Sloan and Vickie, we still have leftovers. Curtis ate beans, greens, and cornbread for dinner while I (the dieter) ate leftover nachos. (12 pts)

Our company stayed a bit over 3 hours. We had a great time and they had fun flinging arrows. We all were outside in the sunshine part of the time. I feel healthier now. Think I needed some sunshine and visiting.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Sandra, and others...you know the character Weezer in Steel Magnolias? The one played by Shirley MacLain? Weezer is my alter-ego. "I've just been in a bad mood for 46 years"!

Then, there is Lucy in Peanuts! "Even crabby people need a kiss on the nose"!

My kind of women!!!!!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #43  
focused and aiming

Know those characters well. Cuz, you are amazing!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Nancy, I'm sending you another PM. Just stuff that does not need to be public. I, too, am so sorry that you and Robin are having to go through this! Having been through the lymphoma thing with my dad, I can only imagine how your head is spinning. Please try and take care of yourself. I'll remind you of a story that I shared a while back. I heard someone say that since we are called by Jesus to serve others we stand in the way of that calling if we don't allow others to help us. I shared that with my friend when her husband was ill several years ago, and she still reminds me of it. She said it allowed her to accept help without any guilt. Please reach out to family and friends and ask for what you need. Many people will want to help, but will not know what to do. If you ask them, it takes the pressure off. Also, don't forget to let us know how we can be praying!!

Rhonda, I'm sorry about the trouble with your brother. I hope someone can give you some good advice. Hang in there!

Sandra, I have not started tracking, yet. I did buy a little ww points calculator and plan to start tracking on Monday. I know I should be tracking now, but ....... oh well!
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #45  
focused and aiming

Sloan, if I weighed 136, I wouldn't be in any hurry to track either. I think you're doing amazingly well.