Old 10-23-2010, 01:45 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi all:

We spent the evening taking care of the grandkids and have been home for a short while. It's time for bed and I want to eat everything in sight! It must be time to just crash.

I hope you've all had a good day. I've been super busy with tap dance and politics (another kind of dance).
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #32  
hopeless but harmless

Height: 5' 5"

No it isn't chocolate Pam Just need to change the jolly old razor blade

You are so right Sandra Belgium is lovely.

We had a huge storm here last night. Trees down, roads flooded, structural damage to houses etc. The weather forecast promised 'occasional showers' Typical isn't it? We don't have any damage at all thank goodness and it helped damp down the fire (see below)

We live in a mediaeval city. It has grown considerably over the centuries and we have all the usual soulless concrete buildings as does everywhere else, but the old part of town is still mediaeval and we get lots of tourist who love to walk the narrow cobbled streets and look up at the black and white buildings which almost meet overhead. Part of the old town backs onto the town centre.
On Thursday, we noticed a lot of activity on the ring road and sirens going, but thought it was an accident. On the news that evening, an electrical fault in a 15th century town centre pub had caused a massive fire. The town centre is still closed. Phones4U, The Card Factory and Ann Summers will have to be demolished and several of the other shops have dreadful smoke damage. We must have been the only locals not to have known anything about it. I always say; if God gave me a brain he robbed a rabbit
jojo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #33  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

Got up late again this time is was 9AM,not to much new today.Some of my choir friends told me about 2 church retreats one for 3hrs and the other for 6,not going to neither, I'm going to take it easy today and than get ready for the big dinner my friend Alice & I are going to have late afternoon.

Do have to get my car gassed up,and than go to rite aid for some items that I need,and than that about all. Oh by the way I lost 3 lbs at today's W-I,but its the same pounds that I gain & lose over & over again.

SANDRA-Thanks, I love meeting new people and I think that's rubbing off my friend Alice. She's so friendly to all,and I learned a lot from her. I don't think I could do that living in a big city I think that small town USA that's where its coming from. Everyone here seems to be that way up here.Funny that you told Pam about overeating when moving to Texas. Leo & I did same thing.I still feel like I'm still on vacation.

PAM-that's what I going to do,just take it easy,as the doctor told me even if it doesn't hurt I still should have to brace on day & night for protection.I found a lot of people like to be talked too but it takes the first step to start.

RHONDA- have a nice weekend. I thing the changing of the weather from hot to colder is making us want comfort foods,at least it does for me .I now drinking Atkins protein shakes if I feel hungry during the late evening.

JOJO-Sorry about the big storm hope you didn't have any major damage. From your post I can imagine that you live in some exotica place. I would love to have an area in our town like that.

Have a great morning
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #34  
focused and aiming

JoJo, thank goodness you were safe. Your town sounds enchanting. In my other life (back in the 80's), we were tourists around about 11 countries in Europe. One of my best memories is of Guiere (sp?) Switzerland. We came home from this trip understanding how young our country is. We were also amazed at how many of the older buildings/castles/etc.... are still in use. Modern buildings just don't hold up like the older ones.

Rhonda, I hear ya on being exhausted looking for energy after keep grands. Their energy level is draining for us, isn't it?

Lightning here. I got to get off the computer.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #35  

another day gone. Can't seem to get in here earlier in the day. Trying to catch up on my shows that I DVR'd.

Rhonda, I miss my little granddaughter. Haven't seen her since July. We tried getting on Skype, but for some reason, it wasn't working. Enjoy your evening.

Maryann, I usually get up around 8 or 8:30 and feel like I haven't slept a wink. Today, I got up at 5:30 and felt great. Go figure. I usually go to sleep around midnight.

jojo, your town does sound very enchanting. I think our oldest city is St. Augustine, and can only imagine visiting all those castles, etc. Glad the storm spared you.

Sandra, I know what you mean about eating like we are on vacation. My husband is in his glory, here in Florida. Where we live in KY is very rural and the closest decent restaurant is over an hour away. Here, there are so many to choose from and all within a 20 minute drive. I have been trying to stay on program, but it's hard. My hubby would eat out every night, if I went along with it. I cook for myself. I'll never get him to eat right.

Well, back to my programs. Have a great Sunday.
pam920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #36  
focused and aiming

Pam, we still go out to eat a great deal of the time. It is difficult to make the healthier choices and a lot of times I don't. I am trying more for smaller portions. That seems to be helping some.

I have an NSV. Today I had on the same outfit I wore when we last saw Rhonda and Doyle. Curtis and I were walking down the sidewalk toward a business and I felt something at my ankles. I thought a dog was after me--was I ever surprised when I looked down and it was my belt!! It had slid down my body to my feet. I don't know if anyone else saw it except for Curtis. What a hoot!!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Hey chickies! I'm still alive but extremely busy. Hope you are all well. I have not even had time to read the posts. I'll try to check in sometime this week. TTFN
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:21 AM   #38  
hopeless but harmless

Yes, it’s a lovely old town. We can walk from our house on the edge of town through the old part to the city centre. Come and join me on the walk...

Mind the steps down from our house; it was a tad frosty last night. You OK Maryann? Don't want you to fall. Mind your coats on the holly bush at the gate, we really should trim it back. Turn left, ‘Morning Miss Cummings. How’s your mum?’
OK then. Let’s just stop on this little bridge at the end of the road. See that wood way off to our right? That was where Nelson got the oak for his ships and where I go badger watching.
The traffic on this road is dreadful isn’t it? It’s a rat run from the ring road. Keep together girls and don’t forget we drive on the wrong side of the road.
Now, that falling down stone wall in front is part of the old city walls. But first, see that stone cross on the cross roads? Well in the time of the Black Death our city was free of it. The city people used to put food on the steps, outside the city walls and also big dishes of vinegar. Outsiders could pick up fresh provisions and leave the money in the vinegar to sterilize it and keep the city bug free.
Down this little hill which was the old city ditch and up into the old part. Just stop a minute and look up at the walls. Can you see those round things stuck in the stones? They are cannon balls from the time we Welsh tried to sack the town (we lost!) In front is our Cathedral, but at the end of this narrow street… see the channel running down the middle? That’s where these black and white houses used to empty their chamber pots! It must have been like walking down bomb alley. Now here we are in the city centre. Huge isn’t it? Mostly built in Victorian times. OK. Are we still all together? Just around this corner is Starbucks. We’ll have a quick one and then go on further another day.

Last edited by jojo23; 10-24-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #39  

Jojo, thanks so much for the tour and the coffee break. I'm looking forward to our continued journey.

I spent all day yesterday doing orgainzing work for block walking this week. I'm ready for this election to be over, as are many people, no matter what the preferred outcome.

i just want to eat and eat, amazing. It must simply be stress. At least I'm aware that it's not hunger. I'll get out to the gym sometime today.

We had very stormy weather yesterday and it's still raining this morning. Sandra, you asked about yellow butterflies....yes, we have lots. I should look them up in my butterfly reference book. The birds are in hiding from the weather.

Have a good day everyone!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #40  
focused and aiming

Hi, Sloan. Take time to take a deep breath every now and then--and come see us here.

JoJo, I love the tour. I certainly hope Sloan gets to take it with us. What a wonderful way to visit your city! Everything sounds so peaceful. I'm anxiously waiting our further adventures.

Rhonda, the yellow butterflies like our blue morning glories. The other day Curtis was walking past the mg and I could see butterflies around him. Reminded me of that old movie "Song of the South." I hope you got to the gym to do some destressing.

We got up too late for Sunday School so we're waiting to go to Church Service. I'm sitting here all dressed and ready to go. Have a relaxing Sunday, everyone. I'll be back later.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #41  
beachbum

Hi Ladies

Don't know whether it want to rain of not but I took my umbrella to church anyway.Had a wonderful brunch with my friends and now I relaxing as my knee started to bother me this morning. I think it has a lot to do with the dampness in the air. Well I going to Have my MRI tomorrow later afternoon and than will have a follow up at the doctor on Nov. 7th I sure he will know what to do next if something shows on the MRI.

This Wed going to play some Canasta with the group,and hopefully I will win the pot. Have to go and get my schedule for the bus and train and than find a good time to make the connecting schedule.My friends don't know the Boston area and don't know if the Bus terminal is near Amtrak. It would b e helpful to know where & what place to be.

Alice & I didn't make dinner,as she got back to late from the long retreat and didn't want to drive in the dark. We are going to make it another day when not else is scheduled.

Nothing else is new,so I'm going to rest my leg and I see you guys in the morning.

PAM-It is odd, it happens to me also the later I go to bed the better of having a good night sleep than going down earlier.

SLOAN-Hi Whenever,but don't be a stranger as I will miss you dearly.

JOJO-What a lovely tour,and I will be careful[don't know what the UK medical service are like]But I'm looking froward to our next trip,When you described it I just could close my eyes as picture it perfectly. Thanks you.

RHONDA-I with you I can't stand the commercials on TV and Radio,there more of school children than educated men, they way they scandalize each other. Whats the block walking all about?????

SANDRA-Big congrats in your NSV fitting into a new size. That is excellent way of telling if your lost weight or inches.

Have a nice relaxing Sunday
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #42  

Maryann, block walking is going door to door to "get out the vote" preferably for the candidates of MY choice.

Yes, I've had enough (plus) of the negativity that accompanies much of politics.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Hey chickies, I can't believe I'm here two days in a row. I've been busy today, as usual. I have read a few posts, but I'm sure I've missed alot.

Jojo, what a lovely tour. I, too, could just picture your town! Could you tell me again exactly where you live? I would love to look at a map and try to find you!

Maryann, I think I missed most of the news about your knee. What's going on? I hope you are doing well. It sounds like you are getting around, at least.

Sandra, I did get to go on Jojo's tour with y'all. It was great, wasn't it? I loved your description of Curtis and the butterflies with the comparison to Song of the South.

Rhonda, I loved the pic of you and Todd. After all of your hard work, I hope your choice for candidate wins. Hang in there, it's almost over.

Pam, my favorite vacation spot is St. Augustine. My DH and I just love it there. I forgot where you said you stay in Florida. Are you near St. Augustine?

GTG get some laundry done. TTFN

Last edited by sloanie; 10-24-2010 at 05:14 PM.
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #44  
focused and aiming

Maryann, I wish you the best of news from you MRI.

Sloan, I'm glad you got to take the walk with us. I'm curious about where JoJo lives, too.

We had fun at rehearsal even though several were absent. I'm extremely glad I'm not the director. Been there/done that.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:03 AM   #45  
hopeless but harmless

I’m afraid our city is far from quiet. Our esteemed council keeps building huge housing estates and granting planning permission for houses in the most ridiculous places. Several are built on sites where there was a garage originally attached to a house! Our drains are old Victorian ones in bad repair and at times of heavy rain the city looks more like Venice than an inland city. Our house is considerably over 100 years old no garage or place to build one and a basement. So far the basement hasn’t flooded, but if our council doesn’t do something, we will have the water in. Our car, like every other in the road has to be parked kerbside and only last night, one was stolen. We are lucky, we rent a garage but it is not very close to the house. We have many, many immigrants in the city and it is unusual to walk through our city centre and hear English spoken. These old Victorian houses are being turned into bed-sits. We have one next door to us which used to be full of junkies. Life was pretty grim. It was closed by Environmental Health as unfit for human habitation 5 years ago. We had to go out into our garden before our daughter could use it and pick up the discarded drug paraphernalia. The council told us, because it was on private property, it counted as household waste and we were responsible for it.
We have an enormous drug problem. Junkies from inner cities base themselves here, the money is good. We had a drug house in this road, you could see the school kids queuing up before and after school to get their drugs. We had to get really tough with the drug squad, because as long as they knew where the dealers were, they could keep tabs on them and consequently were loath to move them on.
Just lately a new independent local government political party has set itself up with an aim to getting the drug and over building problems under control. We had a by-election in our area last week (the sitting councillor had died) It was the first time the new party had stood, and it was an overwhelming landslide victory to them.
Our roads are not in good condition either. A few years ago the Queen visited and whatdoyerknow… every road she would travel on was repaired. There was quite a rumble of discontent in the town over that.
We don’t have the gangs and associated gangland killings that the big cities like London and Manchester have. Practically every week you hear about youngsters getting knifed or shot owing to fights between gangs, so we are very lucky to have escaped that.
Despite our problems here though, it is still a beautiful city on one of the most beautiful rivers in Britain. Tourists visit us right through the year and very welcome they are too.

Last edited by jojo23; 10-25-2010 at 05:09 AM.