Old 02-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/185/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Carb/sugar sensitive

I just rejoined WW last night (for the 6th time, I think). In the past, I've not done well with Flex points because I end up eating 25 points of crap all day and feel just awful. It's taken me a few years to figure out that I am very sensitive to sugar and simple carbohydrates and I know I absolutely must avoid them.

Just curious if any of you Core/Simply Filling followers have this same problem? It seems it will be a little easier to avoid sugar by following the SF food list. It's a little frustrating looking for WW recipes or favorite products, because they tend to not be "friendly" for me. Hungry Girl, for example, pushes those Vitamuffins, and I have to stay far away from them because of the sugar. Maybe I should look for diabetic WW things?
groovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

Hi Groovia,
I just saw your post on the front page of the website. I am also sugar and carb sensitive and did terribly on Weight Watchers. Now I am on South Beach and doing GREAT. No cravings whatsoever. Not to diss WW, but I had the exact same experience as you. There is a great South Beach forum on this site - come and take a look! Hope to see you on the beach...
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #3  

I don't know about the newest WW plan, but if you are following the old Core plan accurately, you really do avoid all simple sugars/carbs. I am also quite sensitive to sugar, and in fact, have pretty much given it up the last few weeks. I know when I was doing Core, I felt great, had plenty of energy, and lost almost 50 pounds in less than a year without HUGE effort. But again, not sure about the new plan(s).

Good luck with whatever you decide!
aghiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/185/165

Height: 5'7"

Aghiowa - what are you doing now if you are no longer on Core?

As for South Beach, I've done it, and Sugar Busters, and Atkins, and Carb Addict's Diet, and Somersize. This is how I know sugars are not my friend.

With WW, though, there is the flexibility to indulge or eat things not on the program yet to still be on track. One of my problems on other plans is having a slip-up and then just declaring it a free day, which ends up snowballing into a complete derailment. Not that it hasn't happened before on WW, cuz like I said, this is the 6th time. But going into it now, I know how my body needs me to eat, which is basically Core, and I feel that WW can teach me how to deal with the sugary challenges as they arise.

But I'm not 100% sticking with Core, because I'm fine with tracking and I know my trigger foods. For example, I had some Kashi crackers for a snack today, which are not on the Core/Simply Filling list, but I know from history they are not a trigger for me because of the ingredients and sugar content. The Flex/Momentum plan lets me include them. But I can't just do WW like the average Jane because of my sugar sensitivity, if that makes sense.

I guess I'm just wondering if there are others like me following WW.
groovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #5  

Groovia, I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant, so I'm not following any "diet." I'm just avoiding sugar (except in fruit) and trying to keep the gain to some kind of limit.
aghiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #6  

I'm still in the undecided part of which plan to follow and also am sugar sensitive so wondering what you've decided to do.

Karen
KarenRB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #7  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Groovia, I'm in exactly the same situation and have been plan hopping for years. I do better on low carb but can't stick with it; I come back to WW and do well for a time and then find that I'm earnestly tracking 10 points a day worth of junk. I'm going to try working on the No Junk aspect of this rather than plan hop this time. I've said that before, but I think I've really come to terms with it this time. (I use Flex, have never tried Core, but have always figured that, for me, Core would leave me in the same place that any restrictive low carb program would. Lots of people, though, do beautifully on Core and love it.) Good luck!

I think we should have a thread called Plan Hoppers Anonymous but I wouldn't know where to put it! We could post our woes and reasonings, and goad each other to pick something and stick to it! I'm reading more and more posts like yours (and mine).

Last edited by Xan; 03-24-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

I like it...
Plan Hoppers Anonymous !!!

In the last 6 months I have done
1) Flex
2) Core
3) Sonoma
4) South Beach
5) MiNi- meal diet

All in all my diet has gotten healthier and I am eating more fruit & veggies,
whole grains, lean proteins, and fat free dairy.. I am trying to eat more "power" foods that I know are good for me like berries, tomatoes, green leafy veggies.

I sorta take what I like from all of them and keep striving for healthy but I still have the same stubborn 10 pounds hanging on.
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/144/125

Height: 5'1

I think I might be the same as, I got as far as I am today, from doing WW points and then I switched to simply filling, but I only maintained I didn't lose, so now I'm starting south beach, to get myself out of eating so many carbs, and maybe that will help me out of my plateau.
mustangheidi is offline   Reply With Quote