Old 09-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Wow Rhonda, you sure were up early this morning! A facial sounds lovely. I, too, am having skin issues as I age. Mine is flaky and dry, but I have always had oily skin so I am not used to that. Congrats on the pound!

Vickie, I sure do hope that you get some relief today. Have you tried moist heat on your forehead and swollen gland? It may make it feel better at least while you have the heat on it.

Off to school pretty soon Y'all have a great day!
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #17  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

Did any one see the Biggest Loser last night???????? While watching the show a light bulb went off in my head.What if my low/high calorie cycling really doing a job on my metabolism.So this morning I went to a web site called Metabolism booster foods and I found a number of them that I used to eat and some how pushed them to the side for other convenient foods. Well starting today I'm going out and buy this wonderful foods and hopefully bring my metabolism back so I can finally burn some fat of of this body and get down to my goal.

RHONDA-Oh I didn't mean anything by it, many doctors say wine is good for the heart,but I never required a taste for it,except when making a gravy or sauce for a dish I'm cooking. I remember when I was younger my sister & I would had wine spritzers during the holidays.

Big congrats on your 1 lb weight loss,see those spinning lasses are really working for you.

SANDRA -Sorry about the storm knocking out you computer. Hope that they wasn't any other damage.Some of the storms can get fierce. We're having gorgeous weather up here going to see if I can take a walk this afternoon.

SLOANE-Hi hope you have a great day.Don't work too hard.

VICKIE-Sorry about the meds,not working.Maybe you could call the doctor today and see if there's something else he can do for you.
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Maryann, I didn't take any untoward meaning from your comments. I think that it is very easy to get into a habit of drinking wine (or beer or spirits) when it is around you. I've done that over the years and now notice that since DH doesn't drink, it has less appeal to me. He's not a tee-totaler but he always jokes that it doesn't taste as good as diet Pepsi (fool!! ) Good luck finding the right foods.

I went to an event at U of T and there was nothing but wine out! I was floored...what about people who do go to AA or otherwise don't want to drink...I'm sure they could find water but there was nothing else. I thought that was really inappropriate.

I enjoyed my facial. The woman said that my skin was well-hydrated...no doubt since Vickie makes us drink all that water!

DH just said that when he moves to Texas and is there alone for a few months he is going to try Nutrisystem. I'll be darn....fooled me. He does need to do something, soon.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #19  

I had a more quiet day today and did not bring home any work. I need a break from lessons! I'm just gonna take it easy tonight and watch tv with the fam. I hope you all have a restful night
Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #20  

Good Morning:

I've lost another pound!!!!

I've lost 13 pounds since the beginning of May. That's a rate of 2/3 pounds a week. I want to increase that rate and will do so. But, that's not bad when you think about it.

I have started writing a food diary out...not checking off boxes on a form, but writing the words out. It makes for a little more accountability I think.

I hope you all have a great day today. (Vickie, I hope you're feeling better.)

Rhonda
Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #21  

Height: 5' 10"

Rhonda, I think a steady loss (with no huge back tracking like me) is great. When I originally got to goal, I think my weekly average was just under a pound a week. Great going!!

Things are going very well this week. I've been hard core AND no wine at night. I've actually been playing a farming game on Facebook (starting to be a bit addictive), but at least its keeping my mind busy and not looking to graze. I did buy the latte WW bars (1 point). Very YUMMY if you like coffee icecream. I highly reccomend them. The chocolate ones never seemed like real chocolate, the latte are much better.

Well, off to an off site meeting today. BBL

OH -- mommy brag. DD got her first yellow stipe in Karate. Once she has 4 yellow stripes she can take the test to get her yellow belt! She was sooooo excited and proud of herself last night. It is amazing how Karate does improve self esteem.

Have a good day.
blessedwithsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #22  

I used to study Judo...I think all of the martial arts are just great for kids and adults alike...good for your DD.

And, I agree about slow loss. I, too, lost and then gained most back...still working on that one. I lost 40 in 2003, gained 30 back and am still working on getting that off. But, I'm making progress. I think by the new year, I'll be working on "new" fat!

Rhonda
Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #23  
beachbum

Hi Ladies

Had a lot to do this morning so, that the reason I'm late posting.Nothing new,going back to my normal calorie range instead of the one of was on [high/low].I lost the first 2 weeks and than I maintained .5 up & down for the last two months.

Now it time for a change.I'm on the 1000-1400 range or 20-28 pts on WW.

RHONDA-Happy that you didn't. Thanks,I found some and I putting them in my food journal for next week menus. Congrats on your 13 lb loss,your doing wonderful with your weight. I still have to figure out which calorie range is good for me. The high/low counting didn't work so now I going up to a moderate count.

SLOAN-Glad you taking a break from your school work and spending time with the family.Please don't stress out over your students.

PAULA-Glad you found a way to keep your mind busy and away from snacks. I liked the core plan with the WPA's but too bad it didn't work for me,so that the reason I quit WW.Big Congrats to to DD for wining her first yellow strip,before long she'll be an expert .
Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #24  
focused and aiming

Hi there, chickies. My subbing at college ended today. I was really sad to be leaving the students.

Eating has been going well this week. I am in a groove and hope to stay there.

Rhonda, what you're doing and the rate your losing is perfect. Keep at it, Cuz. And for Other Cuz? Tell him I am proud of him for joining Nutrisystem and hope it works well for him.

Paula, congrats to DD. I took karate when I was in college. I'm a yellow belt. I never went any further. Wish I had.

Maryann, what foods are you adding back that will help speed your metabolism?

Vickie, how are you feeling today?

Sloan, I took the afternoon off yesterday from studying. Sometimes you need a break.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #25  

Hey Chickies! Since starting the new curriculum, a majority of my upper level students are not making very good grades. The premise of this way of learning is that the students are actually responsible for their learning, and they have to answer questions over the material. I think they have been so used to memorizing facts that they can't think critically and apply material. It is very disconcerting when you think that this group of young people will be taking care of us someday. I don't intend to lower my expectations even if it kills me, and sometimes I think it will. I don't think I have had more than a couple of op days since school started. I'm not gaining, but I'm not eating right either.

Rhonda, congrats on the loss. Slow and steady wins the race!

Sandra, I'm taking a break again today. If I don't, I may lose my sanity.

Maryann, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about my students. I keep hoping that they will catch on and realize they are going to have to study if they are going to pass. My problem is that I care too much about their grades. Obviously, I care more about them than they do!

Paula, if you aren't going to drink that wine, could you send it to me? I jokingly told some of my colleagues that I plan to become a raging alcoholic in my old age! Congrats on DD's yellow stripe. My daughter was a yellow belt when she was in grade school.

I hope you chicks have a quiet evening! TTFN

Last edited by sloanie; 09-17-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #26  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks. I spoke to my Internist yesterday. He passed me off to the ENT without doing anything. He said the Levaquin should have worked. I see the ENT today.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #27  

Vickie, has anyone ordered a CAT scan for you?

Sloan, you hang in there with the students. All my career I've been fortunate to deal mostly with graduate students and medical students. You cannot find a more motivated group of students: Except for some of the equity and access students I now work with. But some of them are not there to succeed and we have discipline problems that are ridiculous. Get those students early and help people like me

Oh, and my plan for old age: to become a muttering old woman who wanders the street hitting people who behave badly with a French stick from the bakery!! (I might have to come back to Toronto to be able to wander the streets without getting run over!)

Rhonda
Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #28  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

We Woke up to a colder than normal day so we had to put the fireplace on to get the chill out of the house. Going to go on my treadmill while doing the laundry or other walking tapes today,as I'm not up to the cold weather yet.

SANDRA-I haven't been eating the right foods,due to the stress of Leo's cancer and I think I hurt my metabolism,so inorder to boost it up again I went to a web site:
http://www.naturalhealthlifestyles.c...-boosters.html
where they tell you some of the foods that you need from each category.Bought some apples,bananas oranges & grapefruit,along with potato, some more fish,dk chocolate. That I haven't eaten in a while.

SLOANE-I think the learning process with this progression education that started back in the 60's, by dumping down the students not teaching phonics, along with the 3 r's.,is the product what's happening now,students don't care anymore,let the gov. take care of them. That's my opinion anyway,luckily my GC are in a very high educational school system and they're all excelling grades higher than there ages, than there doing in other neighboring school system.

VICKIE-I'm so sorry about your doctor passing you off to another doctor. Hope the ENT will give you better care.

Have a great morning will look in on you guys later on this afternoon
Old 09-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #29  
Southside White Sox Fan

I've had a CT scan of the sinuses but nothing of the head/brain. I'm guessing that's coming next. Sigh.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #30  
Southside White Sox Fan

Doc doesn't know what's wrong with me but he doesn't think I had an ear infection. Sigh. He told me to stop the Levaquin but I think I'm going to finish it. He told me to go back to Claritin or Zyrtec and do the nasal saline rinse. He did CBC and CET? CBC for sure and some other bloodwork to see if I have an infection or if there is some other issue. He may scan my neck later. He thinks it could also be allergies. I had the scratch tests and I came up at a 3 level for weeds and it's a BAD year here in Chicago for ragweed/hayfever. He's also considering TMJ and maybe some arthritis in my neck. Sheesh. It's fun to get older.

I'm kinda grumpy so I'll get off here for now. Thank you all so much for being such special friends.