bean question

• am i the only one having problems w eating beans b/f they go bad? i buy the smallest i can find but after a week i end up tossing like 1/2 can. i eat bout 1/8 c every night in my salad
  • I wonder if you can freeze them?
  • I only use recipes that call for a whole can. Maybe some time of vacuum sealer or airtight container?
  • What kind of beans are you referring to, one in particular? Just wondering, cause maybe we could help you find a recipe that would use the other half of a can.
  • If they are chickpeas (garbanzos) then you could roast them. The recipe is on our board, I think. If not I can post it. They are really good, like eating nuts kind of. Very tasty!
  • really? roasted chickpeas? yea thats one of em the other is kidney
  • The roasted chickpeas are really, really good. I made some one night and ate all of them!
  • OK I don't see the recipe here, I must have gotten it somewhere else. I will post it when I get home.
  • wow!! thanks!
  • My only other suggestion would be to make a core soup using the leftover beans? Would probably keep better a few more days in a soup - or if you make a big batch you can freeze in individual portions for lunches or those times you just don't feel like cooking!

I think I might also try the roasted chickpeas as a snack!

Froufie
  • Here it is! When I made it I just made the basic recipe. I liked them a lot!

Roasted Chickpeas

Core Recipe
    Servings | 4
    Preparation Time | 5 min
    Cooking Time | 50 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

Ingredients
    2 cup cooked garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed if canned
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
    2. Spread chickpeas on baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic powder and red pepper; toss to coat.
    3. Roast on bottom rack of oven, shaking pan about every 15 minutes, until browned and crunchy, about 45 to 50 minutes. Cool before serving.

A sweet variation:
    2 tbsp Splenda
    1 tsp pumkin pie spice
    1 tsp cinnnamon

Prepare as directed.

A spicy/sweet variation:
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    1/4 teaspn cayenne pepper (or more if you like)