Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:49 AM   #1  
Southside White Sox Fan

Default Couscous Stuffed Peppers

Interesting way to use couscous. Also a nice idea for lunch that doesn't use up your once a day pasta/potato/rice. Now if only I liked green peppers.

A Betty Crocker Recipe

2 large bell peppers
1/4 pound ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash of ground red pepper (cayenne)
1/3 cup uncooked couscous
1/2 cup water
Pine nuts, if desired -omit on CORE
Fresh cilantro, if desired

1. Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top of pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers.
2. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, salt, cumin, cinnamon and red pepper. Stir in couscous. Divide beef mixture evenly among peppers.
3. Pour water into 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker; stand peppers upright in cooker.
4. Cover and cook on low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until peppers are tender. Garnish with pine nuts and cilantro.

Last edited by Vickie; 08-04-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

This sounds very yummy (yes I am hungry right now) and a great idea for the crockpot. Will let let you know how it turns out if I try it!

Thanks Vickie!

P.S. I just realized I have some leftover couscous from last night's dinner (around 2 cups) mixed w/veggies - I wonder if I can saute ground beef, adding the tomato sauce and spices and use the cooked couscous - I have some lovely red, yellow and orange peppers in the fridge....hmmmmm

Last edited by Froufy; 08-04-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

I sold my crockpot at the garage sale because it was HUGE! Do you think I could make this is a pan on the stove? What size crockpot is a good one to buy if I decide to buy a little one.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:31 AM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

I would think you could also do these in the oven - with tomato sauce/liquid in the bottom and covered w/foil so they don't try out!

We also have a HUGE crockpot, and I do sometimes put a whole chicken or big roast in there for the 5 or us. I'm sure a smaller size that would fit 2-3 peppers could be found? I would check other non-crockpot recipes for timing and temperature.

Frouf

P.S In my hunt I found the following (which is basically core if you omit the raisins!)

BELL PEPPERS STUFFED WITH BARLEY

1 c. pearled barley
6 med. green or red bell peppers
1/4 c. chopped onions
1/2 c. raisins
2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint or 2 tsp. dried
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. lemon juice
Pepper

Cook barley in 6 to 8 cups boiling water for 30 minutes; it should be tender but still have some bite to it. Drain and reserve for later.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cut 1/2 inch slice off stem end of each bell pepper. Discard stem but chop up what pepper remains and reserve for later. Empty peppers of seeds and ribs.

Spray a large skillet with Pam or Baker's Joy; add onions and reserved chopped peppers. Stir fry for a couple of minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to the skillet, cover, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Add to the skillet the cooked barley, raisins, mint, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir around for a minute or so and remove from heat. Season to taste with pepper.

Scoop the barley mixture into the hollowed-out pepper cases. Fit the peppers into a baking pan so that the peppers touch and help support each other. Add about an inch of water to the pan. Cover and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender. Makes 6 stuffed peppers.

Serving size: 1/4 recipe - 193 calories, 77 grams fat, 0 cholesterol, 6 milligrams sodium.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #5  
Card Carrying Princess

Wow - here's another good one that is Core!

BELL PEPPERS STUFFED WITH CORNBREAD
DRESSING

1 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. salt
1 lg. onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
6 bell peppers, chop tops, 1/2 c.
Parsley (fresh or flaked)
1 tsp. chicken bouillon (1 cube)
1 c. water
Baked, crumbled cornbread
Salt, pepper, cajun seasoning to taste

CORNBREAD:

Good muffins, too! 1/2 c. white cornmeal 2 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. salt 1 tbsp. sugar 1/2 c. milk 1 egg 2 tbsp. oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9" pan. Combine dry cornbread ingredients. Combine milk, egg, and oil separately, beating slightly. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Brown ground meat; drain and then add salt. Add chopped vegetables; saute until tender.

Cook bell peppers to be stuffed in covered casserole with 1 cup water in microwave for 7 minutes (or boil on stove top until tender). Drain boiling water, reserving to dissolve bouillon. Crumble cornbread into meat-vegetable mixture. Add bouillon dissolved in 1 cup boiling water drained from bell peppers. Season to taste. Add more liquid if needed. Stuff peppers and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
Old 08-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #6  

My mom loves stuffed peppers, I sent these to her. I am sure I will be able to let yall know how they were sometime soon!
Closed Thread