Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #1  

Default Polenta Ideas

Does anyone have some CORE polenta ideas? It sounds yummy right now.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:55 PM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I did a search on our recipe thread and found this courtesy of Sandra:

POLENTA CAKES (CORN PONES)

a simple way to make it is to use 3 parts water to 1 part cornmeal plus a dash of salt. bring the water to a boil. add the cornmeal and stir. remove from stove. add salt. i next pour about 1/4 cup's worth size corncakes onto the pancake griddle and cook. (i've sprayed the griddle with butter flavored pam.) i use a spatula sprayed with pam to flatten each cake. i cook them till they are crispy.

i eat them like bread. they are especially good with pinto beans, pot roast, just about anything.

you can also put finely chopped onion in them before griddling. other herbs, etc.... can be added, too, to give them some pizzazz.
-----------------------------------

...and these 2 from Angela:

1) Provolone Polenta with Red Pepper Sauce

Serving Size : 9

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shredded fat free provolone cheese (or you can use mozzarella if you can't find provolone)
2 medium red sweet peppers -- halved and seeded
2 teaspoons Splenda
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
olive oil
curly endive (optional)

For polenta, in a 3-quart saucepan bring the 3 cups water to boiling. In a medium bowl combine cornmeal, the 1 1/2 cups cold water, and the 1 teaspoon salt. Slowly add the cornmeal mixture to the boiling water, stirring constantly.

Cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling. Reduce heat to very low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese into the hot polenta.

Turn the mixture into an ungreased 13X9X2 inch pan. (I would use a larger pan so your polenta shapes are not so thick.) Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or till firm.

Meanwhile, for sauce, place sweet pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or till skin is brown. Immediately place hot peppers in a clean paper bag; seal. Let stand for 10 minutes.

When peppers are cool enough to handle, peel off skins, using a sharp knife. In a blender container, combine peppers, Splenda, vinegar, and the 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and blend until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan; heat through.

Cut chilled polenta into 18 triangles. Arrange triangles on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Broil 4-5" from heat for 4 minutes. Turn over triangles. Brush with additional oil. Broil for 4 minutes more or until golden brown. Sprinkle remaining cheese over polenta. Let stand 2 minutes or until cheese melts.

To serve, line individual plates with endive. Arrange polenta triangles on plates and spoon warm sauce over.

NOTES : To get 18 triangles, cut the chilled polenta crosswise into thirds, then cut lengthwise into thirds. Cut each polenta rectangle into half diagonally
-------------------

2) Black Bean Cornmeal Cakes (Polenta)

Serving Size : 13

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup dry black beans
3 cups water
1 small onion -- chopped
3 tablespoons water
5 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cornmeal

Sort and wash beans.

In a med saucepan, cover and boil beans in 3 cups water for 2 min.

Remove from heat and soak 1 hour.

Return to boil, reduce heat and simmer till beans are tender, about 1 hour.

Cool, drain and chop, set aside.

In saucepan, saute onion in 3 T. water till onion is transparent.

Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.

Slowly add the cornmeal, stirring constantly.

Stir in the black beans and mix well.

cook over low heat till liquid is absorbed.

Pour into sprayed shallow baking pan and allow to cool before refrigerating for 3-4 hours till firm.

To serve, cut into squares or desired shapes and brown in a skillet or grill which has been lightly sprayed with nonstick spray.

Notes: I think this would work with canned black beans too, which would cut down on preparation time dramatically. I bet you could also broil the squares in your oven, which might make them crispier

---------------------
and another one from Angela for Polenta pizza crust!!!

POLENTA PIZZA CRUST
4 C. water
1 3/4 t. salt
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 C. whole-grain cornmeal
1. Combine water, salt, and oil in a 4-quart saucepan and bring to a full boil.
2. Pour cornmeal into boiling water, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
3. Turn heat down to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently for about 5 or 6 minutes. Mixture will thicken to the consistency of cooked oatmeal.
4. Pour cooked polenta onto a lightly oiled pizza pan or a rectangular baking pan, using the back of a large spoon to spread outward. The crust should be about 3/8" (about 1 cm) thick. Set aside. At this point the crust can be wrapped in plastic film and refrigerated if serving the next day. I like to stick under the broiler until slightly brown.
CORE PIZZA SAUCE
9 large Roma tomatoes (Italian plum tomatoes)
8 fresh basil leaves or 1/2 t. dried basil
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, whole
3/4 t. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Whirl the sauce ingredients together in a food processor until pureed.
2. Spread generously over crust, covering the surface completely.
3. Refrigerate remaining sauce for future use.
CORE PIZZA TOPPINGS
Your choice of Core ingredients!
FF cheese
Canadian bacon
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 small zucchini squash, diced
6 or 7 button mushrooms, diced
1/4 to 1/2 small red onion, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sprinkle vegetables over the tomato sauce. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Broil pizza 3" (7.5 cm) from the broiler for 5 to 8 minutes

-------------------

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Froufie
Old 08-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

Our board has a couple of other recipes for cornmeal if you'd like! There is also a corn pudding recipe with blueberry compote on top that is very good.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:08 PM   #4  

Thanks! These look good and am looking forward to trying one tonight. Have a good day!
Closed Thread