3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Simply Filling and Core Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/simply-filling-core-recipes-162/)
-   -   Recipe of the Day: Baked Egg Rolls (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/simply-filling-core-recipes/56038-recipe-day-baked-egg-rolls.html)

aghiowa 04-07-2005 03:01 PM

Recipe of the Day: Baked Egg Rolls

This is the baked egg roll recipe I'll be using tonight, although I don't have any bean sprouts. I'll substitute shredded cabbage. As they're baked, the texture is a little different from fried egg rolls, but they still turn out yummy. I also included a sweet & sour sauce recipe. I've never made it with Splenda, but I bet it'll turn out fine.

Baked Egg Rolls

Serving Size : 8

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups carrots -- grated
1 can bean sprouts -- drained (14 oz can)
1/2 cup waterchestnuts -- chopped
1/4 cup green pepper -- chopped
1/4 cup green onions -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 cups cooked chicken, shrimp or pork -- finely diced
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon healthy oil
1 teaspoon brown sugar substitute
1 pinch cayenne pepper
16 egg roll wrappers

Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray; add the first six ingredients.

Cook and stir over medium heat until veggies are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.

Add meat; heat through.

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, water, soy sauce, oil, brown sugar substitute and cayenne until smooth; stir into meat mixture.

Bring to a boil.

Cook and stir for 2 minutes; remove from the heat.

Spoon 1/4 cup of meat mixture onto the bottom third of one egg roll wrapper; fold sides toward center and roll tightly.

Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.

Spray tops of egg rolls with nonstick cooking spray.

Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Sweet 'N' Sour Sauce:
1 cup Splenda
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice -- optional
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

For sauce, combine Splenda, cornstarch and seasoned salt in a saucepan; gradually add the remaining ingredients.

Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 min. or till thickened.

Serve with egg rolls.

Monkeypoodle 04-07-2005 03:33 PM

this sounds yummy. Do you know how many points it is? I figure you have to count the wrappers and the cherry juice. Is cornstarch core?

Thanks!

-- Terry

Vickie 04-07-2005 03:38 PM

Cornstarch isn't Core either. I don't have my book here right now or I'd check for you. I'm guessing the cornstarch would add 1 point for the whole recipe.

aghiowa 04-07-2005 03:52 PM

Yeah, you have to count points for the cornstarch, but it'd be pretty negligible. I've never used the cherry juice in the sauce, so I don't know about that. I think it's basically only for color anyway. You could get the same effect by using red food coloring, or leaving the sauce its original color (golden brownish).

As far as egg roll wrappers, that's harder to figure the points. My package doesn't have nutritional facts??!! so I don't know. Anyone? I'm thinking I'll figure 2 points per wrapper, to be on the safe side. The ingredients are, wheat flour, water, egg, natural color, salt, and cornstarch, so they're not loaded with lard or anything like that...

Angela

Vickie 04-07-2005 03:55 PM

Oh, I love eggrolls and sweet and sour sauce. Wish I could have one. I'm too lazy to make these just for myself because I just know Jim would stick his nose up at them.

aghiowa 04-07-2005 08:31 PM

OK. I made these tonight, and I think they turned out quite yummy. Dh didn't really agree, but I think it was because of the water chestnuts. He doesn't like them. The sweet and sour sauce was pretty much indistinguishable from the full sugar version, so go ahead with the Splenda; it'll work fine. I think I'd better avoid making these too often though - it seems that egg rolls are a trigger food for me! :D

Angela

Vickie 04-07-2005 10:09 PM

Angela, did they crunch?

aghiowa 04-07-2005 11:05 PM

Yeah, actually they did, especially the ends. The middles were a little soft, but not too bad, since you spray them with cooking spray before you bake them, they get a little crunch.

Angela

Vickie 04-07-2005 11:51 PM

I just might have to make the effort, Angela. Thanks for sharing your recipes!