Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:33 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Help me with a recipe please?

I want to make some stuffed mushrooms and am racking my brain on how to make them Core. The recipe I have says to use cream cheese, chopped bell pepper and onion, and stuff the caps with that. Maybe I could sub FF cheddar? I don't know how it would melt inside the mushroom cap. In the old days I would have used sausage and parmesan cheese (not gonna do it) or stovetop stuffing or breadcrumbs (nope) or full-fat mozzarella.

Anyway, I would appreciate any and all ideas.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #2  
Southside White Sox Fan

What about FF ricotta and FF mozarella blended? The ricotta did a real nice job of making my glop creamy. I heard if you spray FF cheese with a bit of Pam before you put it into the oven, it will keep it from baking hard or rubbery.

I'll see if I can find anything on Barbos site.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

How's this sound?

Cremini Mushrooms Stuffed with Spicy Guacamole
Ingredients:

2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 small onion, diced
2 serrano chiles, finely diced
1 teaspoon salt
1 ripe medium avocado
½ bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
1 to 2 pounds fresh crimini mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
Preparation:

Combine the tomatoes, onion, chiles, and salt in a medium bowl and allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, split the avocado in half and remove the seed. Scoop out the avocado meat and place in a food processor. Add the cilantro, vinegar, 2 tablespoons water, and the lemon juice and blend until smooth.

Fold the avocado puree into the tomato mixture and refrigerate for 1 hour before using.

Adjust seasoning for filling with salt if necessary. Stuff the mushroom caps with the guacamole and serve.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #4  
Southside White Sox Fan

Here's another one! The person who made this recipe suggested maybe using couscous next time because the cornmeal was a little crunchy. I got the impression that she would make the couscous first using broth and the liquid from the mushrooms.

Stuffed Mushrooms

12 medium mushrooms, cleaned with the stems pulled out (reserve stems)
1/4 of a medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2oz fat free mozzarella cheese
1TBL corn meal*
Pam cooking spray
Pinch of basil
salt and pepper, to taste

Spray mushroom caps with Pam and season with salt, pepper, and basil, toss to coat. Place caps on a baking sheet (I use a Pampered Chef stone) with the stem side down in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, so the moisture can drain out. You may want to use a bar pan, there can be quite a bit of liquid.

While the caps are roasting, chop the mushrooms stems and put in a pan sprayed with Pam (or use some of your oil allowance and use olive oil) along with the garlic and onion, season with salt and pepper. Once the mixture is cooked, remove from the heat and add cornmeal and 1oz of the cheese.

Stuff caps with mixture and top with remaining cheese, bake at 350 for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

*I made them with 1pt worth of bread crumbs for the whole recipe. I think cornmeal would be a good substitute if you want totally Core, or leave it out completely.

Last edited by Vickie; 03-14-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #5  

Wow, Vickie! Thanks a whole lot!! My next issue is finding FF mozzarella, but I think I remember one of the stores (Albertson's) having some.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:33 AM   #6  
Southside White Sox Fan

My Jewel has their own brand of FF cheese. I don't remember if Jewel is run by Albertson's or Dominick's is. Someone told me that Kraft makes FF but I've never found it. Maybe it's time to talk to your Store Manager. I always tell them why I need stuff and I make sure they know it's bigger than just me. I've told everyone about the new WW program so they'd start stocking ww pasta and FF cheese. They are usually eager to do whatever it takes to get people to keep shopping in their stores.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:49 AM   #7  

Yes, I think Albertsons and Jewel are in the same chain. Over the last 20 years, our Albertsons have gone from originally being Skaggs, to Skaggs Alpha Beta, to Alpha Beta, to Scaggs Albertsons, to Jewel Osco, to just plain Albertsons. I don't know how the employees keep up with it!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:56 PM   #8  

I went with the simplest method -- I mixed the FF mozzarella with diced red pepper and onion and stuffed that inside, then baked. Very good!
Closed Thread