Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 10:25 PM   #1  

Default CORE Chili

I have been digging through all the recipes and I can't find a chili recipe. Anybody have a good one? Is the canned veggie or fatfree chili core?

Thanks for the help.

Kathy
Old 02-22-2005, 06:54 AM   #2  

You really need to read the labels and figure it it. I make my own using McCormick's Chili Spice Blend (in the envelope, by the gravy mixes). It was the only one I could find with just spices, no added flour, oil or extenders. To that I had canned beans, 4 boca burgers and my own added veggies. Last time I used chopped onions, mushrooms and shredded carrots. It pretty much depends what I have left over. Yum!
Old 02-22-2005, 07:32 AM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

I just made a HUGE pot of chili last night. I make a big batch because I like how it freezes. There really isn't much of a recipe but here's what I do.

Two pounds of ground sirloin
4 teaspoons canola oil (this will help get in some of your healthy oil)
6 cloves of garlic (or to taste)
1 cup diced onions
1 cup diced peppers (I use red because I hate green)
1 1/4 cups diced celery
2-28 oz cans of Rold Gold Diced tomatoes
15 oz can of Rold Gold Diced tomatoes (if you like yours with alot of juice, then use 3-28 oz cans instead of the 15 oz)
4 Tablespoons chili powder (start with 3 to make sure you like as much as me)
1 teaspoon cumin
Hot red pepper flakes (to taste. We like ours hot. Depends on how hot your chili powder is)
2-15 oz cans Bushs Pinto beans (or kidney or black or whatever you like)
1 small can tomato paste

Brown ground sirloin in 5 qt or larger pot and drain. Don't cook on too high of a fire because it make the meat dry and tough. Set pot aside. In separate frying pan add oil, garlic, and all veggies and saute until the onion is translucent and other veggies are getting soft. Add to 5 quart pot. Add canned tomatoes and spices. Turn fire up to medium, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes stirring pretty frequently so that it doesn't singe on the bottom since this is a big pot. Add beans and small can of tomato paste. Let simmer for another 15 minutes until beans are heated through. Stir frequently. Serve with Core Corn bread.

Last edited by Vickie; 02-22-2005 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:51 AM   #4  
Kathy from Vermont

Here is a good crockpot one that is core.
1 14 oz. can black beans
1 14 oz. can red kidney beans.
1 large can crushed tomatoes (I think it is 28 ounces)
1 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes with chil peppers.
1 large pepper chopped.
4 stalks of celery chopped
1 cup of onion chopped.
1 1/2 pounds stew beef (I use round cause it's usually leaner) cut into small pieces.
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 table spoon cilantro.
(sometimes I substitue the spices for 1/2 to a 1 full packet of chili spices that are just spices).
cook on high for around 6 hours.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:04 AM   #5  

Thank you all so much. I am gonna make a big batch of chili!!

kathy
Closed Thread