nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
1 pound baking apples -- cored, halved crosswise, and thinly sliced
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Splenda
1 teaspoon ground cumin -- optional
1/2 teaspoon salt

Trim fat from meat. Cut meat crosswise in 4 pieces. Place each piece of meat, cut side down, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Working from center to edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/2" thickness. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle meat with the pepper and thyme.

Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over med heat. Add meat to skillet. Cook for 6-8 min or till meat is barely pink in center, turning once. Remove meat from skillet, reserving drippings. Cover meat and keep warm.

Add onion to the reserved drippings in skillet. Cook about 4 min or till onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the apples, water, vinegar, Splenda, cumin (if desired), and salt.

Bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, for 4-5 min or till the liquid is almost evaporated and the apples are moist and tender, turning apples and onion occasionally. Return the meat to skillet; heat through.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:55 PM   #2  

I finally made this for dinner tonight, and it was surprisingly good. At first, I thought the cumin ruined it, but it added an interesting dimension. It kind of reminds me of the pork chops with apples and sauerkraut from the Turn Around cookbook, but it's more subtle.

Just my $.02,
Angela
Closed Thread