4 onions -- sliced
1/2 cup water
6 cups fat-free beef broth
1 cup cooked barley
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

In a large saucepan, saute onions in water about 5 min.

Add beef broth and barley; bring to a boil.

Add seasonings; reduce heat.

Simmer, covered, about 30 min before serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 82 Calories; trace Fat (2.0% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 865mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
aghiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:33 AM   #17  

White Turkey Chili

Description:
"Do you think red when you think of chili? Well, think again. This
savory chili soup combines only light-colored ingredients in a spicy
seasoned broth."

Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
15 ounces canned great northern or white kidney
beans -- rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 ounces green chili peppers -- diced
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 dashes hot pepper sauce
shredded fat-free Monterey Jack cheese -- optional
snipped fresh parsley -- optional

In a large saucepan combine water, turkey, beans, corn, onion, green chile peppers, bouillon granules, cumin, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or till vegetables are tender.

To serve, ladle the chili into serving bowls. If desired, top each serving with cheese and parsley.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #18  
Southside White Sox Fan

Beef Barley Soup

1 pound boneless lean beef, cubes
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground/chopped garlic
2 (14.5 ounce) cans of beef broth
6 1/4 cups water
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup dried parsley
1 cup quick cooking barley
1 teaspoon dried thyme

In a skillet over medium head, saute the beef in the oil for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in the salt, pepper and garlic. Add the broth, water, celery, carrots, onion and parsley. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender. Add the quick cooking barley and cook as directed on the package. Add the thyme just before serving.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #19  
Athlete in Training

Default Black Bean Soup

I'm not sure where I found this recipe. It's slightly different from the other black bean soup posted in this forum. I absolutely love it and recommend it with Jalapeno cornbread.

Black Bean Soup
Servings: 4

• 2 -15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 1/2 cups fat free, low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
• 1 cup chunky (mild, medium or hot) salsa
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 4 tablespoons fat-free or low fat sour cream
• 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red onion
In an electric food processor or blender, combine ½ beans, broth, salsa and cumin. Pulse until lightly pureed.
Mix the pureed bean mixture with remaining beans in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot though out. To serve, ladle soup into 4 individual bowls and top each bowl with 1 tablespoon of the sour cream, and 1/2 tablespoon red onion.
Per Serving: 218 Calories; 2g Fat (7.6% calories from fat); trace Saturated Fat; 17g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 1134mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Monkeypoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #20  

Potato and Cabbage Soup with Kielbasa

Recipe by: WW Slow Good Cookbook

Note: This recipe calls for turkey kielbasa, which isn't Core. I think most brands are about 1 pt per ounce? But I bet you could substitute canadian bacon or turkey ham if you don't want to spend the points.

2 teaspoons healthy oil
2 red onions -- sliced
2 cloves garlic -- peeled
2 cups green cabbage -- finely shredded
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds -- crushed
2 small russet potatoes -- peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
1/4 pound turkey kielbasa -- halved lenghtwise and sliced
3 fresh thyme sprigs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic; cook stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and caraway seeds; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 min.

Transfer the cabbage mixture to a large slow cooker. Add the potatoes, kielbasa, thyme sprigs, salt, and pepper. Pour the broth over the kielbasa and vegetables. Cover and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low. Discard the garlic and thyme sprigs; stir in parsley.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:07 PM   #21  
Athlete in Training

Default Mulligatawny

There was a Seinfeld episode called the "Soup ****". That's where I first heard of Mulligatawny soup (I think it was Kramer's favorite).

If you like curry, you'll enjoy this core soup. My only recommended tweak would be to add a pinch of cayenne.

Mulligatawny
4 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
½ carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
½ green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tart apple, peeled, cored and diced
¼ cup couscous
2 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp ground mace or nutmeg
1 whole clove
2 cups low-sodium ff chicken broth
1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 ½ cups diced cooked chicken breast
¼ tsp salt

In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat the oil. Saute the onion, celery, bell pepper and apple until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the couscous, curry, mace and clove; cook, stirring 1 minute; gradually stir in the broth. Add the tomato and lemon juice; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Add the chicken and salt; heat to serving temperature.
Serves 4. 187 calories, 7 g fat, 17 g carb, 3 g fiber
Old 05-25-2005, 05:51 PM   #22  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Vietnamese Chicken Soup "Un Recipe"

I love this soup. When I first had it in a vietnamese/chinese restaurant I thought it was an appetizer soup because it was so inexpensive and ordered it with an entree. The waitress looked at me a little odd, but came out with a bowl the size of a dinner plate. It's completely Core if you use brown rice or whole wheat noodles. Since amounts aren't important, I call it an unrecipe. Do not worry about amounts, because it's good however you throw it together. I've made it for one and I've made it in a huge pot.

I do recommend checking to see if you have an oriental grocery in your area. The bean sprouts and cilantro will probably be fresher and cheaper. If you can buy an oriental brand of soup stock or bouillon powder, I would suggest giving it a try. Fish sauce sounds exotic, but is great to use wherever you would use worcesteshire. I use the chile paste with the squeeze top and picture of a rooster on it. Sometimes I buy the one in a jar with garlic. Chili paste is a lot more versatile than tobasco (has no vinegar tast). Just be careful and add teeny amounts until you get the taste you want. The restaurant usually serves the soup with hoisin, but I rarely use it. It's a chinese style bbq sauce with the consistency and color of molasses.

1 skinless, boneless chicken breasts per serving, or the shredded meat from a supermarket rotisserie chicken, or even canned white meat chicken (last resort, but still good)

At least 1 quart chicken broth (canned or from bouillon, powdered stock or soup base) Use 2 cups of broth per serving.

You can poach the breasts in the broth, shred and return to the broth or you can just use breast meat from a rotisserie chicken. (If you want to get really fancy, you can remove all the skin and fat from the rotisserie chicken
and simmer the bones in the broth (none of the meat) for while, adding water as it evaporates. Strain the broth and add the shredded chicken meat.).

If you want (but it's great without), add brown rice (Minute Rice brown rice is very convenient) or whole wheat noodles (or if you want to count the points regular noodles or to be authentic linguine shaped rice noodles).

When the broth is hot and the rice/noodles are cooked. Pour into serving bowls and add any or all of the following condiments as you would like. It's fun to serve the condiments buffet style at the table.

Chopped fresh cilantro
very fresh bean sprouts
Green onion, sliced into rounds or threads
thin lime wedges (add a squirt to each bowl according to preference)
chili paste or chili garlic paste (probably not tobasco, too vinegary)
hoisin sauce (only a teaspoon or less)
vietnamese fish sauce (just a few drops, like a quarter teaspoon)
chopped sugar snap peas or chinese peapods (to soften add a few minutes before removing soup from heat or add to hot soup and let stand for a few minutes before adding the veggies you want to stay crisp)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 169/167.6/135

Height: 5'3'

Here's a good one: Broccoli / Cauliflower cheese soup 1 cup = 1 pt.

20 oz. frozen broccoli florets
10 oz. frozen cauliflower florets
10 oz. frozen carots
6 tsp. chicken granules
1 tsp. dehydrated onion
12 oz. velveeta light cheese (comes in box of 16 oz., will have to cut off 4 oz.)

Boil all ingredients (except cheese) in 5 cups of water with chicken granules for 20 minutes. DO NOT DRAIN Mash veges, add cheese, stir until mixed. ENJOY.

Lisa
mumto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #24  
Melissa

White Bean Chili
(If this recipe came from you, please let me know! I couldn't find it anywhere on the boards and don't remember where it came from.)

Original Recipe:
1 Can White Beans
1 Can Rotel
1 Can Corn
1 Can Chicken (I use Swanson 98% FF Chicken Chunks)

Put all ingredients in saucepan and heat.

My changes and notes: I drain most of the liquid from the corn and chicken but keep the rotel and bean juices. Also, I add an additional can of white beans and cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder for some pizzaz.
septembersgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #25  

Height: 5'7"

Easy Mexican Soup

1 can Rotel
1 can tomato soup
1 can water (in tomato soup can)
1 can whole kernal corn (or Mexicorn)
1 can chicken broth
1 can chicken (I used a large one)

That's it! I added some Mrs. Dash but the Rotel will make it spicy enough.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #26  
Athlete in Training

Default Indian Carrot Soup

If you like Indian food, you'll love this cold summer soup! I ate the entire thing in one sitting!

Indian Carrot Soup

Categories : Soups Soups/ Stews/ Chowders

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 chopped onion
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 carrots -- peeled and cut into 1" chunks
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
carrot curls -- for garnish

In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat the oil. Saute the onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, coriander and cardamom; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the carrots and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Strain the broth into a large bowl.

In a food processor or blender, puree the carrots with 1 cup of the broth. Stir the puree into the remaining broth; refrigerate, covered, until chilled (I left it overnight). Serve, topped with the yogurt and garnished with the carrot curl.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #27  
focused and aiming

i got this off bcb tonight. i'm going to try it soon.

SANTA FE SOUP -- Core

1 can chicken broth
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can ff refried beans
1 jar salsa
optional, can chicken in water or cut up chicken breast

You just need a can opener! Open everything, put into a saucepan and heat. For a treat drop a dollop of ff sour cream and/or ff or soy shredded cheese on top.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:45 AM   #28  
Southside White Sox Fan

Summer Corn, Bacon and Potato Chowder

POINTS® value | 4
Servings | 4
Preparation Time | 20 min
Cooking Time | 15 min
Level of Difficulty | Easy

soups | There's nothing like freshly-picked sweet corn. We highlight it in this chowder along with buttery-tasting Yukon Gold potatoes and smoky Canadian bacon.

Ingredients

1 medium uncooked Yukon Gold potato(es)
1 serving cooking spray, (5 one-second sprays per serving)
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup onion(s), chopped (or 1 large shallot)
4 piece corn on the cob, kernels removed with a knife
1 cup sweet red pepper(s), diced
4 oz Canadian-style bacon, diced
2 cup fat-free skim milk
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Instructions

1. Puncture potato in several places with a fork; microwave on high power until tender, turning over once, about 8 minutes. Allow to cool; peel and mash.

2. Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add celery, onion, corn and red pepper; sauté over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. (Note: Feel free to substitute your favourite fresh vegetables like asparagus and broccoli for the red pepper. Or to save time, substitute 2 cups of frozen corn and 1 cup of frozen, diced bell pepper for the fresh corn and red pepper.)

3. Stir bacon and milk into saucepan; stir in mashed potato and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; stir to combine. Cover and simmer 10 minutes (do not allow to boil). Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.

© 2005 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2005 WeightWatchers.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
WEIGHT WATCHERS and POINTS are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. and are used under license by WeightWatchers.ca Limited.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:01 PM   #29  
focused and aiming

TACO SOUP

i got this recipe from a friend in tx a few years ago. curtis asked for me to make some today. lo and behold--it's core!!!!

2 lbs of ground beef
1 large onion chopped
1 can pinto beans with jalapenos
1 can pinto beans (today i just used 2 cans pinto beans cuz i didn't have the jalapeno ones)
1 can of corn (do not drain)
1 can rotel tomatoes
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 large package ranch style dressing mix
1 package taco seasoning

brown ground meat with onion. add salt/pepper to taste. add remainder of ingredients. cover and simmer for approx 30 minutes.

this is fabulous. we now have a huge pot on hand for many meals. when we serve the soup, we will sprinkle ff cheddar cheese on top. life is good.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #30  
Melissa

Potato Soup

1 cup serving
1 or 2 points (OR Core + pts for gravy mix; in any case, very low pts and very filling)

1 bag Potatoes O'Brien (16 oz., frozen)
4 cans fat free chicken broth (I use low sodium ff broth)
1 pkg. McCormick Country Gravy Mix

Spray pan with Pam. Saute potatoes 10 minutes, stirring gently.
Add broth and bring to a boil. Prepare gravy mix according to pkg. directions.
Add to potatoes and broth. Simmer 20-30 minutes.
septembersgoal is offline   Reply With Quote