3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Simply Filling and Core Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/simply-filling-core-recipes-162/)
-   -   CORE Main Dishes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/simply-filling-core-recipes/49330-core-main-dishes.html)

septembersgoal 12-11-2005 08:38 PM

Lemon Garlic Chicken

4 (5 oz) chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)

1 clove garlic, mined

½ cup ff chicken broth

1 TBS lemon juice

Using nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, slowly sauté garlic over low heat. Add chicken and cook over medium heat about 10 minutes or until brown on both sides. Add broth and lemon juice. Heat to boiling then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 – 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken and keep warm. Cooke or reduce remaining liquid in pan, around 3 minutes. Pour over chicken and serve.

Found at http://www.freewebs.com/bethswwjourney/corerecipes.htm

septembersgoal 12-11-2005 10:51 PM

Meat and Potato Dinner

4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
green peppers, sliced
1 (28 oz) can tomatoes, chopped

Layer above ingredients in order give. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

Found at http://www.freewebs.com/bethswwjourney/corerecipes.htm

septembersgoal 12-18-2005 11:16 AM

Spanish Hamburgers

1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 can tomato soup
1 tsp chili powder

Brown hamburger and onion. Drain off fat. Add soup and chili powder to hamburger mixture. Stir and simmer until hot. Serve over brown rice.

Vickie 01-04-2006 12:01 PM

I just saw this amazing recipe on WW Boot Camp Buddies Site. It made me drool, it sounded so good. I haven't tried it yet but I will be soon. I don't post there but read there when our board is quiet.

Core Chicken and Dressing

3 heaping cups of Core Cornbread crumbs (see below)
1 heaping cup of diced cooked chicken
1 can (14.5 oz) fat-free chicken stock
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 heaping teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon instant chicken bullion
1/4 heaping cup of dry oatmeal

Mix everything together and let it sit while the oven preheats to
350 (about 10 minutes). Pour the mixture into a glass pie pan, sprayed with a nonstick spray, smoothing the top and pushing down any exposed chicken pieces. (They can dry out if not down inside the dressing) Bake for 1 hour.

CORE CORNBREAD

1 1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tps. salt
1/3 c. Splenda {up to 1/2 cup if you like it sweet}
1 c. fat free yogurt
1/2 c fat free sour cream
1 tbs. oil
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix liquid ingredients in a small bowl.
Gently fold the wet into the dry. Pour into a 9" deep dish pie plate or a 9" square pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the edges are a golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into 8 wedges or make in muffin pans. Core or if on Flex Points: 8 servings = 2 Pts. each

Vickie 01-14-2006 12:11 AM

This one is tried and true. I always have some in my freezer. I keep it precut, frozen and vacuum sealed and ready for lunches. You can make it alot hotter if you like.

Tamale Pie

3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 cups chicken broth
Cayenne pepper or diced chilis
1 pound ground sirloin or ground turkey
1 package taco seasoning
1 15 ounce can Fat Free refried beans preferably hot
1/2 cup of Taco sauce (I use medium hot)
1 small can sliced black olives
1 cup Fat Free Mozzarella Cheese (I use the Jewel brand shredded)
1 cup Fat Free Cheddar (same as above)
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Add cornmeal and chicken broth to a microwave safe container. Add cayenne pepper or diced chilis to taste. Microwave for 6-7 minutes stirring halfway through. When it is a thick cream of wheat consistency, pour it into a Pam sprayed pie plate. I use a big 9 inch glass one. Spread it up the sides. Put the pie pan in the refrigerator. While crust is cooling, brown the ground sirloin. When brown, follow the instructions on the taco seasoning packet. Add black olives to meat mixture. When taco meat is done, bring pie out of refrigerator. Spread entire can of FF refried beans on top of crust. Pour a little bit of taco sauce on the beans.

Add cumin, chili powder and garlic powder to the shredded cheese and toss well. Put half of cheese over the taco sauce. Add taco meat and then the rest of the cheese to top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes covered. Add FF sour cream when serving.

It freezes very well and warms well in the microwave. Makes 6 servings. Great with a green salad to make a complete meal.

ontarget 01-29-2006 05:40 PM

i got this at bcb today. sounds yummy.

Gingered Pork and Vegetable Stir-Fry (Core) | Serves 4
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes

1 whole pork tenderloin (12-16 oz.), thinly sliced crosswise
2 Tbsp. peeled and grated (or finely minced) fresh ginger root
1 c. chicken broth
2 Tbsp. teriyaki sauce
2 tsp. cornstarch (0 pts)
2 tsp. canola oil
1/2 lb. fresh or frozen snow peas, strings removed (I used sugar snap peas)
1/2 lb. zucchini, cut lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
4 green onions, white part thinly sliced, green part cut into 3-inch lengths.

1. In medium bowl, toss pork and ginger. In cup, mix broth, teriyaki, and cornstarch. Set aside.

2. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tsp. oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add snow peas, zucchini, and green onions and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to large serving bowl.
Note: With sugar snap peas, I cooked them alone for 1 minute before adding the zucchini and green onions to give them a little extra time.

3. In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tsp. oil; add pork mixture and stir-fry until pork just loses its pink color, about 3 minutes. Transfer pork to bowl with veggies.

4. Stir cornstarch mixture to blend; add to skillet and heat to boiling. Boil till sauce thickens, about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return poirk and veggies to skillet and stir to coat with sauce; heat through.

5. Return to serving bowl and serve with brown rice.

ontarget 01-31-2006 11:52 PM

i got this out of a texas recipe book. it's fabulous!!!! (even if i do say so myself)

SUPER SPAGHETTI PIE

6 oz ww spaghetti, cooked and drained
1/3 cup ff parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon ff margarine melted
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 cup ff small curd cottage cheese, drained
1/2 cup ff mozzarella cheese

while spaghetti is still warm, mix spaghetti, parmesan cheese, egg and margarine in a large bowl. pour into a well greased 10" pie pan and pat mixture up and around sides with a spoon to form a crust. put cottage cheese over spaghetti layer. in skillet, brown ground meat and onion. drain off fat and add tomato sauce and seasonings. simmer 10 minutes. spoon meat mixture on top of cottage cheese. bake at 350* for 30 minutes. arrange mozzarella on top and return to oven until cheese melts. this can be made ahead and placed in refrigerator until ready to cook. serves 8.

Elanajel 02-28-2006 10:13 AM

Kasha and mixed vegetables

Kasha is also called buckwheat groats. It's a whole grain. You can get in at Whole Foods (in bulk) or in natural foods aisle of most grocery stores.

Mix 1 Omega-3 egg with the raw kasha.

Pan fry it until the egg is completely absorbed.

Boil the kasha--double water (i.e., 1/2 cup kasha gets 1 c. water). Turn it to simmer, cover tightly. Takes about 25 minutes.

Serve with any fresh or frozen vegetables. I generally saute onions, celery, mushrooms, carrots. You can add sliced tofu for additional protein.

Vickie 05-13-2006 08:04 AM

This recipe came from the Core Board at Dotti's weight loss zone. Except for my concern about the amount of oil in the marinade, this tasted great! This is a great way to get in our healthy oil and I'm sure that not all the oil adheres to the chicken.

I broiled them but think they would also be great done in the George Foreman grill or on the regular grill. I cooked them in the broiler for about 6 minutes a side since I had rather large boneless skinless thighs.

Lemon Garlic Chicken

Marinade:

2 Tablespoons to 1/4 cup (=4 tablespoons) olive oil (even if it all adhered it would be 1 tablespoon per breast and 1 1/2 teaspoons per thigh).
1 cup of concentrated lemon juice
10 cloves garlic, crushed (I used 8 frozen garlic cubes from Trader Joe's)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon parsley
salt & pepper

4 Large Boneless/skinless Chicken Breasts or 8 Thighs

Marinate chicken in a ziploc bag at least 4 hours; discard marinade. BBQ or broil til cooked through and no pink remains. Makes 4 servings.

septembersgoal 05-15-2006 05:45 PM

Sorry, I'm not sure where this came from. I thought this was a really great recipe. I did not use much cheese and didn't think it added much to the flavor. Maybe if you used a whole lot it would be really good. I will probably leave it off next time. Also, I did not add veggies and while it was runny, it did not affect the taste. I think the veggies would be good though.
This is not completely core--from my guesstimate it is about .5 pt/serving (with 4 servings) for the soup.
Now how's that for an intro? ;)

Cheesy Chicken And Rice Bake
1 can (10 3/4 oz) 98% fat free Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup
1 1/3 cups of water
3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 4-6)
1 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, optional

Mix soup, water, rice, onion powder and black pepper in 2 qt. shallow baking dish.
Mix in frozen mixed vegetables, if desired.
Top with chicken. Sprinkle chicken with additional pepper.
Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 45 min. or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is done.
Uncover and sprinkle cheese over chicken. Let melt on chicken.

ontarget 07-14-2006 02:06 PM

tortilla crusted tilapia

i don't know about ya'll but those tgif commercials advertising tortilla crusted tilapia have been driving me crazy. i googled today and found this recipe. it's almost core. you'd just have to count pts for the tortillas.

6 corn tortillas torn into pieces
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 egg beaten

1. preheat oven to 375*. coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. place tortilla pieces, pepper, lime juice, cilantro and spices in blender. pulse until the mixture is uniform small crumbs. spread on plate.
3. beat egg in shallow dish
4. dip each fillet in egg, then in crumbs, patting crumbs to adhere. place on baking sheet
5. bake until fish flakes about 15 minutes depending on thickness of fillets.

makes 4 servings.

i got this recipe at http:/www.recipezaar.com

Vickie 09-01-2006 06:53 AM

Here's a recipe for Sandra and the rest of us who like Mexican food. I got it from Heather's site and she got if from the WW Core Board.

Enchilada Casserole

Count points only for the enchilada sauce. I used 1.5 c of canned enchilada sauce, which was 0 points for each of 8 servings.

NOTE: This is a wetter casserole. If you prefer it drier, then cut the sauce by half.

1.62 oz packet of Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce Mix (points)
6 oz canned tomato paste
8 c water, divided
2 TBS canola oil
1 c onion, chopped
1/2 c green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1.5 c dry yellow cornmeal
Cooking spray
15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz canned yellow corn, drained and rinsed
2 c cooked chicken breast, skinless, diced
1.5 c FF or soy shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350*. Prepare enchilada sauce according to package directions, using tomato paste and 3 c water. (You will end up with 3 c sauce, total.)

Heat oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add onion, pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove 1 c of onion mixture and place in a large mixing bowl; set aside. Stir 3 c water into remaining onion mixture and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, add cornmeal to remaining 2 c of water in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Gradually add cornmeal mixture to boiling water/onion mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cornmeal is thickened, about 4-6 minutes.

Coat a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cornmeal mixture evenly in bottom of dish. Spoon beans, corn and chicken into reserved onion mixture; combine thoroughly. Spread half of enchilada sauce over cornmeal layer; top with all of bean mixture then remaining enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, about 45 minutes. slice into 8 pieces and serve.

Vickie 09-08-2006 06:46 AM

I don't make fish at home, but here's a recipe for you tilapia ladies that's Core. It's from CaliGirl on BCB.

Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia with Salsa served with Spicy Black Beans

Serves 4

1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp paprika
coarse salt and ground pepper
4 skinless tilapia fillets
3 tbls olive oil (If it really is 4 servings then you need to reduce oil to one less teaspoon of oil)
Spicy Black Beans (see recipe)
1/2 cup prepared tomato salsa

In a shallow dish, combine cornmeal and paprika; season generously with salt and pepper. Dredge each piece in cornmeal mixture, patting it on to coat completely.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbls oil over medium-high. cook as many pieces as will fit without crowding until golden brown and firm, about 2 minutes per side for thin pieces and 4 minutes per side for thick ones. Transfer to a plate; sprinkle with salt, if desired, and cover loosely to keep warm. Wipe skillet with a paper towl. repeat with remaining oil and fish. serve with spicy black beans, if desired, and salsa.

Spicy Black Beans

In medium saucepan, heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium. add 3 minced garlic cloves and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. add 2 cans (14.5 oz each) drained and rinsed black beans and 1 cup water.

Bring to a simmer; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. (add more water for a thinner consistency, if necessary.) Season with coarse salt, and garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired. serve immediately.

Vickie 10-15-2006 11:26 AM

Our Jennifer found this recipe somewhere. I tried her recipe but made a few modifications. They are outstanding! I served them with oven fries and paid a couple of points for light hamburger buns from Jewel. What a great fun meal that I'm SURE your families would eat, including your kids. I cannot wait to have them again.

Diet Coke Sloppy Joe's

Points value per serving 3
Servings 6

1 1/4 pounds raw extra lean ground beef
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red or green pepper
4 cubes of Trader Joe's garlic - equivalent to 4 cloves
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup diet coca cola
1 1/4 cups ketchup
2 Tablespoons vinegar
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon red cayenne pepper for a little tang since they were too mild

Brown beef and onion in large skillet. Drain well. Stir in remaining ingredients as listed. Mix well. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. I cooked them for a little while longer with the cover off to cook down and thicken.

ontarget 12-10-2006 03:49 PM

RASPBERRY PECAN CHICKEN

i got this off dwlz today: i have the ff dressing and am going to make it today.

Rub a mixture of onion powder and McCormick's Roasted Garlic Chicken seasoning onto the chicken breasts then place the breasts in the crockpot. Pour a bottle of fat free Ken's Raspberry Pecan salad dressing over the chicken and cook on low for approximately 3 1/2 to 4 hours.