Old 11-14-2004, 07:44 PM   #1  

Default CORE Soups

Here's where we can put soups, stews, etc.
aghiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 07:51 PM   #2  

Here's one I made tonight. It went together pretty quickly, and was good. I added turkey ham, and some salt as well.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn Chowder

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 3/4 cups frozen corn -- thawed
3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
1 small potato -- peeled and diced
1 stalk celery -- chopped
1/2 green pepper or sweet red pepper -- finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cups evaporated skim milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch

In a blender or food processor, blend or process 1/2 cup of the corn and 1/4 cup of the broth till smooth.

Set the corn mixture aside.

Lightly spray an unheated med saucepan with no-stick spray.

Add the potatoes, celery, green peppers and onions.

Cook and stir over med heat till the onions are tender.

Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup broth.

Bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat.

Cover and simmer about 10 min or till the potatoes are tender.

Using the back of a fork, slightly mash the potatoes against the side of the saucepan.

In a custard cup, stir together 2 T. of the milk and the cornstarch till smooth.

Then stir the cornstarch mixture into the corn mixture. Add to saucepan.

Add the remaining milk and the remaining 1 1/4 cups corn.

Cook and stir till bubbly and thickened.

Cook and stir for 2 min more.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #3  

This one looks good too.

Sizzling Rice Soup
1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
8 cups fat free chicken broth
2 cups cubed cooked chicken (I'm going to use leftover turkey!)
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 can (8 oz) bamboo shoots, drained
1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 package (10 oz) frozen peas
2 t. olive oil

Cook rice according to package directions. Spread on a greased 15X10X1" baking pan. Bake at 325 for 2 hours or till dried and browned, stirring occasionally; set aside. In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, combine the broth, chicken, mushrooms, onions, bamboo shoots, water chesthuts, bouillon and garlic powder. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add peas; cook for 15 min. Just before serving, heat oil in a skillet. Fry rice in hot oil till it slightly puffed. (They say to use 1/4 c. oil, but I bet you could get it to work right with spray and your 2 t.). Ladle soup into serving bowls. Immediately spoon some hot rice into each bowl and it will sizzle. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts.)
Old 12-07-2004, 01:16 PM   #4  

Default Spinach & Yogurt Soup

Quick and easy to make. If you like a creamy soup, this is great!! I got the recipe from www.allrecipes.com

1 1/2 tbsp light butter or light margarine (pts)
1 medium onion finely chopped (I used onion powder instead cuz I dont like the crunch and texture)
2 tsp all-purpose flour (.5 point)
1/3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried tarragon (optional)
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 (300 g) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup fat free plain yogurt
(2 sliced lemon, cut in half for garnish)

Directions:
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until tender, stirring occassionaly.
2. Stir in the flour, salt, tarragon, nutmeg, and cayenne and heat until fragrant.
3. Stir in spinach (undrained) and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 15 min.
4. Remove soup from the heat, and puree in a food process/blender in batches. Instead, I used one of those hand held mixers and blended right in the pot... less mess and less work!
5. Return to the saucepan and whisk in yogurt. Heat through, but do NOT boil. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
6. Serve and float a lemon slice on each serving. (I skipped this part)

I bet this would be really good with a bit of FF or light parmesan cheese sprinked on top.
Yum Yum!
Silverain54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #5  

Potato Soup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peel and wash potatoes. Cut the potatoes in the size you want--I use very small. Cover with water and cook until soupy and the potatoes are coming apart. Add butter (use the ff or use points) and milk to the consistency you want. Salt and pepper to taste.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #6  

Spinach and Leek White Bean Soup

Prep Time: approx. 10 Minutes. Cook
Time: approx. 15 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 25 Minutes.
Makes 8 (1 cup) servings.
Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Beth4Kids
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 leeks, bulb only, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (16 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
2 cups packed fresh spinach
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, cannellini beans, bay leaves and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and stir in the couscous. Cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
waterlilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #7  

Cream of Chicken and Brown Rice Soup

1/2 cup brown rice
1 Tblsp soy sauce
1 1/2 cups water
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 carrots finely chopped
6 stalks asparagus, finely chopped
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
minced parsley
pepper to taste
1 cup chopped chicken breast
4 cups fat-free milk

O.k. I know this sounds difficult with all the ingredients, but I was pleasantly surprised by the goodness of it so I thought I'd pass it along! I hope you enjoy!

Cook the brown rice with the soy sauce and water in a covered pot. Saute the garlic and onion in 1/4 cup chicken broth ( i used chicken bouillon cubes) in a large pot until tender. Add the carrots and asparagus and cook until tender...you probably will need to add more broth. When this vegetable medley is tender...transfer all but 1/4 cup of it to a blender or food processer and puree. Spoon the puree back into your pot and add the rest of your chicken broth and seasonings, chicken, milk and cooked rice. Simmer for 20 minutes. Enjoy!!

Alicia
alicia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:35 AM   #8  

Here are 3 soups I make all the time:

Puree of Carrot Soup:
2T vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 lb carrots, chopped
2 med potatoes, peeled and diced
1 bouillon cube

Heat oil in a soup pot; add onion and carrots and saute, 10-15 minutes. Add the potatoes, bouillon, and 3 cups water; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree. Return to pot and simmer for 5 minutes; seaon with salt and pepper.

Venus de Milo Soup
1 lb veggie crumbles or lf hamburger
3 c water
5 c mushroom or beef broth
1 large onion, chopped
1 16 oz package frozen mixed veggies
1 16 oz can stewed tomatoes
1 8oz can tomato sauce
salt and pepper
3/4c quick-cooking barley

Add all ingredients except barley and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add barley and cook for 15 minutes.

Tomato Barley Soup
2 T olive oil
1 c onion, chopped
1 c leek, chopped
1 c carrots, chopped
2 T garlic, chopped
2 T oil
2 c water
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can vegetable broth
1/2 c uncooked barley
4 c cabbage, spinach, chard or other greens, torn

Heat soup pot with olive oil; combine onions, leeks and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer 35-40 minutes, season and serve.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:50 AM   #9  

Default Yummy Black Bean Soup

1 1/4 cups salsa (mild or spicy, as preferred)
2 - 15 ounce cans black beans, drained
2 cups vegetable stock

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to low boil; then simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly and puree half of the mixture in a blender. Return to pot, mix well and serve.

100% CORE

Enjoy!
Jo_Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:10 AM   #10  

I mixed leftover french onion soup (from the freezer), chicken breast, frozen corn, a can of green beans, a can of tomato soup, and some seasonings. It's simmering now and when I'm done, I'll put it in individual containers to either eat for dinner or take to work for lunch.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #11  

I don't usually make big pots of soup since my refrigerator and freezer are always jammed ... not much room! One of my favorite soups is 4 ounces browned 96% lean ground beef, 1/4 cup lentils, 1/4 cup barley, french style frozen green beans, broccoli cole slaw mix, 1 can of vegetable broth plus another can of water, with lots of garlic pepper seasoning. This makes enough for 2 big bowls and is very filling to me. I have it for supper a couple of times a week.

Deborah
Old 02-27-2005, 08:12 AM   #12  

I make soup of of ANYTHING and everything, but seems I now have a somewhat "typical recipe", which is (and you need a really big pot!): Take beef shank bone or any "cheaper cut" of beef, I usually "brown" it, add about one sliced onion, cut up baby carrots, cut up two stalks of celery...saute a couple of minutes...then add beef broth (either pre-made - the 1 litre tetra pak size) or water w/beef cubes. Add one large can diced tomatoes.... usually pre-seasoned (w/herbs and garlic), one large can tomato paste or campbell's tomato soup, more water, spices (salt, pepper, garlic, italian seasoning), a few splashes of worcestershire sauce, some splenda if too sour, about 1 cup barley (sometimes I will also add about 1/2 cup split green peas). This week cabbage was on sale (1 cent per pound!!!!), so I have chopped some in there - oh ya - also one can of red kidney beans - or whatever beans you like (drained and rinsed). So you bring this to a boil - then turn it down, cover and simmer for about 2 hours or so? Need to taste to adjust seasonings and/or sweetness. When done I remove meat if on a bone (shank) and cut up the beef, throw it back in the pot and discard bones.

Froufie
Old 02-27-2005, 10:08 AM   #13  
Southside White Sox Fan

Mushroom Barley Soup

This is from the WW Simply the Best Cookbook. I absolutely love this recipe and it appears to be all Core!

3/4 Cup Pearl Barley
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
4 Onions, chopped (I never use this much onion because we aren't big fans)
2 Celery Stalks, chopped
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
4 Cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
3 Carrots, sliced (I use the baby carrots)
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 Teaspoon salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
Minced Parsley

In a large saucepan, stir the barley and 4 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the barley is partially cooked, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat the oil. Add the onions and celery; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, 6-8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring as needed, until the mushrooms begin to soften and release their liquid, about 5 minutes.

Add the broth, carrots, tomato paste and barley with its liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring as needed, until the barley and carrots are temder, about 30 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper; serve, garnished with the parsley.

6 servings at 182 calories each. 3g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrates, 7g fiber, 9g protein 42mg calcium.

Freezes well!
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #14  

I am making another one tonight because I have some things that need to be used up:

potatoes, peeled and cubed
lean ham, diced
frozen corn
chopped onion
FF evaporated milk

...and thickened with just the teeniest bit of cornstarch.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #15  

easy peasy soup

Fill a pot about half full with water or chicken stock if you have it. Then add your split peas about half way up to the water height. Add some chopped onion and maybe chop in a carrot really fine. Then boil and simmer for quite a while and stir. the soup will thicken as the water evaporates. After a while add a handful of chopped Canadian bacon (read ham type bacon) and simmer some more. Add some salt and pepper and what have you.

When it is thick enough, you have pea soup. Really easy, really cheap and really nice. Just dont let it burn as it thickens.

Kally