fake "mashed potatoes"

• Maybe this should be on the recipe thread but I have heard you can have the taste of mashed potatoes with Cauliflower?? Is that right?? has anyone tried it and can you tell me how you make it?? I would love to try this soon!
    thanks guys!!
    laura
  • This is YUMMY! My kids ask for it and don't even miss mashed potatoes. Just steam the cauliflower (chopped up) until it is good and soft (gas stove takes me 30-40 min.). Drain and mix with butter, sour cream, salt and pepper - I don't measure these just eyeball it to taste. I use beaters so that it gets creamy, but in a pinch I have used a hand masher and that is fine too. Enjoy!!!!
  • hmmmm. sounds like something even i would like [and cauliflower isn't my favorite stuff...] but i'd add a little cheddar... just for the protein, ya know...
  • See, this is why I don't follow a Low Carb plan

Most of our family likes this dish, though, and I think a lot of people recommend it
  • If you look in the side dish recipes on the low carb recipe forum, you will find a few cauliflower recipes. One hint for the fauxtatoes is to start mashing them in a colander in the sink and get rid of that excess water. Makes a much nicer dish! I like to mash with a little cheddar and sour cream.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=17464
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I cant wait to get to the grocery store and get a few cauliflower! The "mashed potatoes" sounds good as well as the cheddar, bacon, cauliflower dish and the grilled cauliflower recipe too!! I cant believe sometimes we can eat this way and lose weight--how cool is that??
    laura
  • what a great time on athe colander! thanks!!!!!!
  • I squeeze the cauliflower in a potato ricer to get the excess moisture out.

Has anyone tried celery root for "mock" mashed potatoes? I find it in where the roots are in my supermarket. It's a gnarly looking thing. You peel it like a potato, make sure you remove all the brown, cut it into chunks, steam or boil the chunks until soft, like you would a potato, add cream, butter, salt, & pepper, and mash as you would a potato. It's nice and creamy, and I think tastes better than potato.
  • Celeriac (celery root) would work too. It has 9.14 grams carb and 1.86 grams fiber per cup. Cauliflower has 5.2 carbs and 2,5 fiber for the same amount.
    I think I'll move this thread to Recipes.