Old 02-22-2006, 09:45 PM   #1  

Default whole wheat bisquits

I'm copying this directly from SugarAddicts.com. I think it looks good and SBD 'legal'. Any reason why it wouldn't be?
Whole Wheat Biscuits

WHOLE WHEAT BISCUITS
Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour (could also use whole wheat pastry or spelt flour)

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup oil or other shortening (I use canola or butter)

3/4 cup milk (could also use either soy or oatmilk)
Directions:
Sift flour with salt and baking powder (I usually omit this step and just mix them). Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Make a well in center and add milk. Mix with fork until dough leaves sides of the bowl.

Turn onto floured board and knead lightly for 18 counts. Pat out 1-inch thick and cut with biscuit cutter. (I usually just pat them out in my hand).

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Variations:

Shortcake - Add several drops stevia to flour mixture and use only 5 tablespoons shortening.

Sour Milk Biscuits - Substitute sour milk, buttermilk, or plain yogurt for sweet milk. Add 1/2 teaspoon soda and decrease baking powder to 1 teaspoon.

Cheese Biscuits - Add 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese with shortening.

Cinnamon Rolls - Shape mixture into rectangular sheet; flatten to about 1/3-inch; brush with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon, sprinkle with stevia, raisins and shopped nuts; roll like jelly roll and bake in greased pan as for biscuits.
Craftinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #2  

This looks good. Remember that butter is not allowed so make sure you use a South Beach approved substitute. Also make sure you are using milk that is skim or 1%.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb0522
This looks good. Remember that butter is not allowed so make sure you use a South Beach approved substitute. Also make sure you are using milk that is skim or 1%.
Yeah, I figured I'd just stay with the Canola oil even though the author says the sometimes use butter. I would think 1% wouldn't make a difference either
Craftinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

In things like biscuits, you really do need to use a hardened fat, I would think, to get the right consistency. I try to avoid butter as much as possible, and when I do use it, I use Land o' Lakes "Light Butter" which is part canola oil. In the GFGCG, butter is "very limited", which means that we can have it once a month. I'd think that is worth it.

I did try sifting the WW flour once, but the pieces of bran got stuck in my sifter (and are still there! ). So don't try sifting...it'll only make you crazy!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote