Old 07-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Chinese Style Fried Brown Rice

I made this last night and it actually was very good. You'll notice, though, that it says it makes 6 servings. They must mean 6 lumberjacks eating it as an entree and not a side. My wok was FULL of fried rice!!! It didn't take the rice as long to cook as the recipe says and I didn't leave it out to cool as long as it says, either. By their calculations you're looking at 2 hours to make some fried rice!!!

Chinese-Style Fried Brown Rice

Yield:
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
2 cups uncooked long-grain brown rice
3-1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 cup egg substitute, lightly beaten OR 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 slices (8 ounces) Canadian bacon, cut into julienne strips
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed (I had canned peas so I used them)
1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil (I didn't have this so I left it out)

Preparation:
1. Combine rice and water in wok. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer rice about 40 to 45 minutes or until tender and all water is absorbed, stirring occasionally with fork. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
2. With fork, fluff rice and spread out on greased baking sheet. Cool to room temperature, about 30 to 40 minutes. Rinse out wok.
3. Heat wok over medium heat about 30 seconds or until hot. Drizzle 1 tablespoon vegetable oil into wok and heat 15 seconds. Add eggs and cook 1 minute or just until set on bottom. Turn eggs over and stir to scramble until cooked but not dry. Remove eggs to bowl; set aside.
4. Add remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to wok and heat 30 seconds or until hot. Add onion; stir-fry over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Add ham strips; stir-fry 1 minute. Add cooked rice, peas, soy sauce to taste and sesame oil; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in eggs and cook until heated through. Transfer to warm serving dish. Serve immediately.

It's on the left...that's my stir fry on the right.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote