Old 02-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Mozzarella Sticks (From Deceptively Delicious): Vegetarian

This is a fantastic recipe from Deceptively Delicious. It's a cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld about how to hide veggie purees in food so kids (the little and the adult kind...) will eat 'em. This recipe is SO good. I could barely taste the cauliflower and didn't notice it at all when I stuck them in SF ketchup. They'd be really good with marinara sauce, too.

I found using waxed paper works much better than foil. It's easier to open when you cook them, and the foil tends to shape them into triangles.

You can learn a lot more about the puree technique and such by looking at the actual cookbook. I've heard it's on sale in many locations. I got a copy from my library.

Quote:
Mozzarella Sticks (with Cauliflower)
Prep: 20 mins
Total: 45 mins
Makes 8 mozzerella sticks
No Meat

Ingredients:
1 cup whole-wheat breadsticks [Wegman's carries these...or you can try making your own. Another option is to grind wheat germ]
1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
1 Tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
1/2 cup cauliflower puree [steam cut-up cauli, then puree in food processor with a little water]
1 Tablespoon cornstarch [or arrowroot]
Nonstick cooking spray
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. In a bowl, toss the breadcrumbs with the flaxseed meal and sesame seeds. [I added italian seasoning]

2. In a second large bowl, stir together the mozzarella, cauliflower puree, and cornstarch until well combined. Shape into eight 2x1/2 inch logs. Gently roll each log in the breadcrumb mixture, then wrap in aluminum foil or waxed paper and freeze for 20 minutes.

3. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the pot is hot, add the oil. Arrange the mozzarella sticks in the pan in a single layer, being careful not to crowd them. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally, until the crumb coating begins to brown. Sprinkle with salt and serve with ketchup.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote