Old 08-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Smile Summer Vegetable Gratin

JessieW contributes this recipe for us to SBD-ize. If you try it or come up with good substitutions, put it in this thread so we can all benefit!

Quote:
Summer Vegetable Gratin

Ingredients

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 to 5 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
3 to 4 small red potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch slices (about 1/2 pound) [okay every once in a while on SBD--just make sure they're small--or feel free to leave out]
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 (7-inch) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup finely crumbled cornbread [try substituting whole wheat bread crumbles or breadcrumbs]
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning

Preparation
Sprinkle bottom of a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish evenly with garlic. Layer with tomatoes and next 5 ingredients, sprinkling with 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper between layers. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Combine cornbread, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture; bake 10 more minutes or until top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Yield

Makes 6 servings
Southern Living, JULY 2003
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #2  
PCOS will not control me!

S/C/G: 283/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Sounds really good...maybe replace the cornbread with some crumbled SBD compliant whole wheat crackers?
JerseyGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

This casserole sounds lovely! I'm going to make it this weekend. To make it South Beach compliant, I'm going to substitute cauliflower for the potatoes and use chopped pecans or walnuts instead of the crumbled cornbread. I'm looking forward to trying it!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #4  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Made this for dinner last night with the help of my handy-dandy mandolin. Kept the potatoes in (2 VERY SMALL) potatoes and then used pecans as a substitute for the topping. And lots of pepper on every layer. Really yummy!!!

Served it with pecan crusted chicken tenders and a big green salad. Totally recommend it!
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote