Old 12-17-2004, 01:28 PM   #1  
Gotta move my Thang!

Default Escarole with white beans & GAHHHLICK

Hi there,

I found this in a neat book called "Full of Beans" whose author I sadly can't remember - she said this is an old Italian recipe, usually served over pasta. I just eat it straight. I like it because it's simple and I can't think of anything else to do with escarole which I get from my CSA farm most summers. Makes a good side dish, or a light lunch, maybe with a tomato salad or broccoli slaw.

2 large servings

1 bunch escarole
at least 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
2-3 Tbsp Olive oil
1 can white beans, drained, or approx 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
salt and pepper to taste

Wash escarole and roughly chop, set aside still wet. Put Olive oil in a medium skillet, over medium-low heat. Add garlic, and cook gently until garlic has softened. Add beans, and gently toss until heated through. Add escarole to pan, and toss until wilted and cooked through. Dish should have a velvety gloss because of the oil mixing with the beans and be speckled with bits of garlic. Salt and pepper to taste, serve warm.

Note: It's important to slowly cook the garlic at a lowish heat, because you want it to soften and get mellow and nutty in flavor. I have, in the past, added a splash of white wine or vermouth for tartness at the end of cooking; a squeeze of lemon would work, too. This would likely work with any bitter green, like spinach or Arugla. The oil and the mellow garlic flavor helps to tame the greens' bitterness.

Hope folks like this!
Solarmama
solarmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #2  

This is right up my alley! Thanks so much!! However, I wonder if it will be good without all the Italian bread I use to eat with this dish. LOL
Lou Lou Belle is offline   Reply With Quote