Height: 5' 7.5"

Thumbs up smashed cauliflower

Recipes vary, but this is the yummiest that I have tried...and I make it often

1 head of cauliflower or 1 bag frozen cauliflower
2-3 tablespoons Smart Balance
few dashes evaporated milk OR regular skim milk
salt
pepper

Steam cauliflower and add to food processor. Add Smart Balance and start to process. Add milk until you like the consistency. Add salt and pepper and give a final spin. Then enjoy!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Default Cauliflower Mash – Phase 1

Cauliflower Mash – Phase 1
Recipe from The South Beach Diet - Parties & Holidays Cookbook

Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes

Other South Beach Diet cookbooks have featured a mashed cauliflower recipe that has been such a hit, so we couldn’t resist creating a new variation for Thanksgiving.

1˝ pounds cauliflower, cut into large florets (about 8 cups)
3 garlic cloves
2 (14-ounce) cans lower-sodium chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Combine cauliflower, garlic, and broth into a large saucepan. If cauliflower is not completely covered by the broth, add water until just covered. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 12 minutes.
Reserve 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid and drain cauliflower. Transfer cauliflower and garlic to the bowl of a food processor, and process until smooth, pulsing in 1 or 2 tablespoons of the reserved broth, if necessary, to moisten the mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, stir in chives. Serve warm.

MAKE-AHEAD: Recipe can be made up to 1 day in advance; refrigerate in a covered container and reheat in a microwave or 325°F oven before serving.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:30 PM   #3  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Default Frosted Cauliflower

Delicious...even if you don't care too much for cauliflower.

1 head cauliflower-core/leaves removed, cleaned and cut into pieces
1/2 cup mayo
2 tsp mustard (we use a variety of mustards for a flavor change
1/2-3/4 cup cheese (we usually use cheddar, but have used parm, mont. jack
or even pepper jack for variety)
paprika-optional

Steam the cauliflower-stovetop or nuked, mix the mayo & mustard, spread the mayo/mustard over the top of cauliflower in a baking dish, sprinkle grated cheese over the top, then sprinkle with paprika.
Bake in 350 oven until cheese begins to turn golden. You can microwave this until cheese melts also.

Some recipes for this will say to leave the cauliflower whole while it steams and then "frost" it with the mayo/mustard & cheese for presentation, but we find it much easier to make and serve with the cauliflower cut into pieces.

I first found this recipe here at the SBD/3fchicks site years ago...like 2003???
I didn't see it when I searched for it, so here it is, reposted to the best of my recollection.

4-6 servings

Last edited by Ruthxxx; 01-15-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added number of servings
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #4  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Fat Melanie's Cheesy Garlicky Super-Indulgent SBD "Mashed Potatoes"

1 head of cauliflower, trim of the unnecessary crap
1 small onion, chopped into tiny pieces
2 tablespoons smart balance margarine
2 teaspoons chopped garlic (you don't necessarily have to buy a clove and chop it, just get the chopped garlic in water from the store!)
1 1/2 cups of reduced fat cheddar, and a bit more for sprinkling
8 oz sourcream
more smart balance to taste
garlic powder
onion powder
salt
pepper

Fill a pot with water and get it to boiling, put the head of cauliflower in it. Reduce heat somewhat.

While that's cooking, take a little saucepan or frying pan and add the 2 tablespoons smart balance to it. When it melts, add the chopped onion and cook until nearly transcluscent and fragrant. Add in the chopped garlic and cook until the onions are see-through and the garlic is fragrant but not brown.

Check to see that the cauliflower is very tender, and drain the water. Turn off the heat. Add the cauliflower back to the pot, and start mashing with either a big wooden spoon, a potato masher, or even a whisk thingy from a mixer (I didn't use the actually mixer, just the utensil, because I wanted it to be a bit chunky.)

Add the onion and garlic mixture, then the sourcream. Turn the heat on medium and add the cheddar cheese. Then add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste, some more smart balance margarine to taste, and make sure the cheese is completely melted and you've mixed it thoroughly, then top with some shredded cheddar if desired.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 08-21-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I've found it works best with fresh cauliflower and not frozen and the fresher the better. I found a head once in the back of my fridge and cut off all the brown spots and tried it mashed it was really not good.

I steamed mine in the microwave then mashed it. I liked it with some salt and pepper and a little smart balance. If you don't add some extra seasonings to it, it does taste like cauliflower.
Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

This is very similar to the Smashed Cauliflower sticky. I may merge the two threads.

I estimate this as four servings. I just ran the main ingredients through fitday. Made with a medium head of cauliflower, 1½ cups reduced fat shredded cheese and a cup of light sour cream, the whole recipe is 841 calories or 210 per serving - maybe a bit high for a veggie serving but OK for a main dish. (I did not add in the margarine which would make it higher.)
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #7  
South Beach Babe

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Hey all, here's a super simple, fast version:

1 bag of steamable cauliflower florets
Little bit of smart balance (to taste)
Dash of favorite seasoning
2 tablespoons of milk (aprox., I just poured a little it)
1/4 cup of parm. Cheese
Sprinkle of FF mozzarella

Steam the cauliflower in the bag as the package dictates. Chop the florets in smaller pieces and place in a blender or food processor and add all of the other ingredients, accept the mozz. Blend until desired consistency, dump contents, and sprinkle with mozz. Enjoy! Tasted great, and took 8 minutes max.
TinaTiny82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

So I made my own version tonight and I have to say it's pretty tasty.

I used:
1 head fresh cauliflower
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 wedges Laughing Cow garlic and herb cheese
A few squirts of butter spray (I don't remember the brand, but something like Smart Balance)
2 tablespoons mayo
Salt and pepper to taste
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #9  
principessa

S/C/G: 159/165/138

Height: 5'2"

Yum! Love this recipe!
Flavor, texture, filling... and no guilt!
I'm off to buy more ingredients for more feasts!
I didn't use any smart balance or cheese, still very creamy. :-)
inforthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I love cauliflower. I have never made the smashed cauliflower because I would be the only one eating it, but I might try making a small amount. I don't like cauliflower with cheese sauce, so I don't think I would like it with cheese, but the Smart Balance and milk sounds good to me!

Anyone ever try putting gravy over it? I like gravy on mashed potatoes!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-12-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote