3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Side Dishes - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/side-dishes-phase-1-130/)
-   -   Cabbage, bacon and onion (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/side-dishes-phase-1/40733-cabbage-bacon-onion.html)

ozziesgirl 05-17-2004 02:42 AM

Cabbage, bacon and onion Stirfry

Hi everyone, I tried out a new side dish tonight because I am getting sick of cauliflower and broccoli. I really hope this is acceptable for phase 1 but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

It is really simple but I love it.

I make one serving:
What you need:
2 slices chicken bacon....Canadian bacon would be great I suppose but I cannot find any in the stores....and I LIVE in Canada. I hear its no problem to find in Florida though...
1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
1-2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon low fat cheddar cheese, shredded **optional**
Salt and pepper, other spices to taste

~ Fry the bacon and set aside
~ Add 1 tsp of olive oil to pan bacon was fried in
~ Throw in cabbage and onion, stir fry for 2 mins med high heat
~ Add bacon and continue to fry for another few mins until the cabage has the amount of crunch you like.
~ Add cheese until it melts over the top. I love cheese so I have it on everything but if this sounds sickening to you, its optional :)
~ Serve hot!

beachgal 05-18-2004 11:51 AM

Hi, Steph!

This sounds delicious! Yum!

I think in one of the other forums they explained that in Canada, Canadian Bacon is called "peameal bacon" or "peameal ham" and comes covered in cornmeal on the outside. Hope this helps!

jezebel67 07-09-2004 09:39 PM

Steph-- I always find that canadian bacon thing funny, it's actually just ham. AND ham is a little leaner with less sugar, but "canadian bacon" is sliced slightly thicker, more like three or four slices of lunchmeat type ham.

Hope this helps!

Vanity 07-10-2004 02:52 PM

Steph
I'm not sure if there is a Zehrs where you live, but you can find Canadian Bacon there. It's usually in the prepackaged deli section (usually in the same unit as bacon and down further from it). Peameal bacon and Canadian bacon are two different things and both are sold at Zehrs. You will want the Canadian over Peameal if you're following South Beach.
Good luck finding it.

Ruthxxx 07-10-2004 05:56 PM

Peameal, back, Canadian - they are all made from the a well-trimmed boneless pork loin that is pickled in a salt brine and then rolled in either cornmeal or peameal. My butcher makes it all the time. As far as South Beach is concerned, there is no difference except in the name.
Ham, on the other hand is cured with salt and sugar and then usually smoked. Lean ham is fine on SB expecially if it has been boiled.

Suzieq855 05-23-2005 06:28 PM

Yummy!!!!!!

Wow I loved this! I am soooooooooooooooooo bored already with my food choices this was just great though and so different! ;)