7 cups chicken or veggie stock
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 pound tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
    1 cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 cup chopped green onion
    fat free sour cream (optional)

Soal beans overnight. Pour off soaking water, cover beans with fresh water, and bring to a full boil. Lower heat to a simmer. While beans simmer, saute onions in a large pot using olive oil or stock. When translucent, add cumin, chili powder, green chilies, and salsa verde. Saute for 5 minutes, adding stock if it starts to stick. Add the rest of the stock, bay leaves, tomatillos, and 3/4 cup cilantro. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered while beans continue to cook. When beans are just tender (1 to 2 hours) add them to the veggies and simmer everything together for another 1/2 hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, add the rest of the cilantro and lime juice, stir to blend. Ladle into big bowls and top with green onions and fat free sour cream if desired.

Instead of putting in the lime and extra cilantro BEFORE serving I put out bowls of cilantro, green onion, lime wedges and sour cream. Everyone added what they wanted. The kids LOVED it!!!
  • So, is that like, four servings?
    Where the heck did you find the tomatillos? Detroit?
    Gee, that sounds yummy... thanks, Den! (please send tomatillos)
  • OK I'll bite, what the heck is a tomatillo????????
  • It's a little round reddish thing. With a sort of papery covering. I grew them one year. Didn't eat them. Just let them decompose right in the garden.
  • Aren't tomatilla's green? Or is that just on the inside?

Love the sound of the chili!
  • Snort. You're so right, Lisa. They remind me a little of my hops. Sort of.
  • YUP!! Green!!! You can use canned tomatillos, but the fresh ones are nicer (I used both!!) A friend made this with canned beans too, but again I like to use the dry ones and do it from scratch. I think this is a pretty forgiving recipe!!!!

I don't know how many servings this is, but I think you could eat a lot of it!!! I made a double batch and had to pour it into a HUGE stockpot. My 8 QT pot was full and I had only added about half the stock!!!