Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2000, 07:06 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS RECIPE BOARD FOR OCTOBER 2000. If you would like to view the recipes from SEPTEMBER 2000, please click on the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000027.html
Old 10-05-2000, 01:40 AM   #2  

The crust is like a light quiche crust. I haven't tried the others yet.

Zucchini-Crusted Pizza -- The Root Connection CookBook
3-1/2 c. zucchini, grated coarsely
3 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. flour (I used WW)
1/2 c. grated Parmesan
1 Tbs. fresh basil leaves, minced (or ½ tsp. dried)
salt and pepper

Salt zucchini lightly and let it set for 15 minutes. Squeeze out all the excess moisture. Combine all crust ingredients and spread into an oiled 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Bake 20 - 25 minutes until surface is dry and firm. Brush the top with oil and broil it under moderate heat for 5 minutes. Pile all your favorite pizza toppings on (tomato sauce, olives, sauteed mushrooms, peppers, lots of cheese). Heat the whole mess in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Serve hot.

Tangy Zucchini Sticks -- The Root Connection CookBook
4 small zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick sticks
1/2 c. WW flour
1 T olive oil
3 cloves garlic
2 t. red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Dredge zucchini sticks in flour. Saute zucchini in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes, turning frequently to prevent scorching. Add garlic and continue cooking until zucchini is tender. Stir in vinegar and season to taste. Serve hot.

Roasted Green Beans -- The Moosewood Cook Book
Prep time: 30 - 40 minutes, including roasting
Yield 6 antipasto servings

2 T. olive oil
1 ib fresh whole green beans, trimmed
1 C thinly sliced onion
10 - 12 medium cloves garlic, peeled
salt and pepper
1 - 2 T balsamic or red wine vinegar
1 c. lightly toasted pine nuts

Preheat oven to 400. Brush a large baking tray with 2 T olive oil. Spread beans, onions and garlic cloves on the tray and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes, intermittently stirring or shaking the try. Taste a green bean to see if it's as tender as you like it. If not, put it back in for another 5 - 10 minutes. Remove from oven; transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with vinegar and possibly grind in some additional black pepper. Serve at any temperature with lightly toasted pine nuts.

Old 10-06-2000, 01:56 AM   #3  

Here's another one - not low-fat, but yummy

Shrimp or Crab Louie -- from "Favorite Recipes" by Sunset Magazine
4 servings

1 c mayonnaise
1/4 c whipping cream, whipped
1/4 c chili sauce
1/4 c finely chopped green bell pepper
1/4 c finely chopped green onion
1/4 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1 - 2 T fresh lemon juice
2 heads iceberg lettuce
1-1/3 lbs shrimp or crab meat
4 tomatoes
4 hard-cooked eggs

Mix together the mayonnaise, cream, chili sauce, green pepper, green onion, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Arrange the outer leaves of the lettuce on dinner plates. Shred the heart of the lettuce and arrange in the center of the plates. Top with shrimp or crab meat. Cut tomatoes and eggs into wedges and place around the crab. Pour the dressing over the salads and serve.
Old 10-12-2000, 10:55 PM   #4  
Little Engine That Could

Ratatouille--This is simple but a little involved.

1 firm eggplant, 1/2 to 1 lb.
Several zucchini squash, washed, 1/2 to 1 lb.
1 bell pepper, sliced
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
2 - 3 garlic cloves, mashed or put through a
garlic press
1 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes, good quality, drained
3 T chopped parsley
salt and pepper
Olive oil

Cut the eggplant and zucchini into pieces about 3” long, 1” wide and 1/2” thick. Lay the eggplant pieces on a paper towel and sprinkle lightly with salt. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, saute the zucchini pieces in olive oil until they are lightly browned on both sides. Then blot the eggplant pieces and saute them so they are browned on both sides too. Remove to a side plate.

Saute the onions and peppers in the oil for about 5 minutes so that they are tender but not browned. Add the mashed garlic to the onions and saute for 1 minute more.

Meanwhile, slice the drained tomatoes into
3/8" strips. When the onions/ peppers are tender stir the tomatoes in and let simmer for about 5 minutes until the tomatoes have started releasing more of their juices. Cook until most, but not all, of the liquid has evaporated. Remove to a side dish.

Then layer the tomato-onion mixture and the eggplant-zucchini back into the skillet. Place 1/3 of the tomato mixture on the bottom, then 1/2 of the eggplant mixture. Top with
1/3 of the tomato mixture, the rest of the eggplant and then the rest of the tomato. Sprinkle 1 Tbs. parsley on top of each tomato layer.

Cover and simmer the casserole for about 10 minutes and then remove the cover and cook for about 15 more minutes until the juices have evaporated, leaving a spoonful or two of flavored olive oil. Be sure to not let the vegetables scorch in the bottom of the pan!!

Correct the seasoning and serve hot or cold. Can make ahead as it tastes better even a day later.
Old 10-13-2000, 01:58 AM   #5  

Deb: I'm still waiting for the PB Pie to be posted. Pleessseee!
Old 10-13-2000, 05:17 AM   #6  

Chocolate Custard
  • 3 cups milk
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3 tbsp fructose
  • 1/4 cup stone ground whole wheat flour, sifted
  • 3 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate, containing at least 70% chocolate liquor or cocoa

Bring milk to boil, then remove from heat and let cool, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat eggs, gradually adding fructose and flour. Pour in milk, whisking constantly. Transfer to a saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes, or until mixture is thick and creamy.

Break chocolate into pieces. In a double boiler place chocolate and 1 tbsp water and melt over low heat, stirring constantly. Using a whisk, add custard to melted chocolate, raise heat to medium and cook 1 minute more.

Serve chilled or at room temperature.

English Custard
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 2 tbsp fructose
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup milk

In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks, fructose and vanilla extract about 2 minutes.

Add milk, and beat 2 minutes more, or until mixture is frothy.

Place the bowl in a pan of hot water and whisk mixture continuously over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, or until custard thickens.

Remove from heat, and whisk well to cool mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1 hour. Serve with berries or use as filling for a tart.

Variation: For a different flavour, add 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut to the mixture while bowl is in pan of hot water (step3).

NB: Both recipes taken from Michel Montignac's book "Recipes and Menus".
Old 10-16-2000, 06:40 AM   #7  

This is a recipe I copied from the iVillage Quick and Easy Recipe Board. I made it to-day for the first time and it was delicious.

Lazy Pot Roast

Combine:
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

AND RUB IT INTO A 4 POUND BONELESS BEEF CHUCK ROAST OR A BEEF BRISKET TRIMMED OF FAT. LET SIT FOR AN HOUR OR 2 AT ROOM TEMP OR OVERNIGHT IN A ZIPLOCK BAG IN THE FRIDGE.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large heavy casserole or dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil and brown the meat on all sides for about 7 minutes. Remove the meat and set aside. Pour off any fat from the pan and add 1/2 cup water or beef stock scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon or spatula and mixing it with the pan juices.

Put the roast back in the pan and cover it with:
5 cups thinly sliced onions
6 cloves garlic, chopped

COVER the roast (with lid or tight fitting foil) and bake for one hour. At that point, take the roast out and turn it over so it is sitting on top of the onions and garlic. Add more liquid if needed. Put it back into the oven for another hour UNCOVERED. Stir the onions around after about 30 minutes so that they brown more evenly.

COVER again and return to the oven to cook for ONE HOUR MORE or until the meat is fork tender. Brisket will take a little longer to cook than chuck. Remove the meat from the pot and let it rest covered loosely with foil. Cut the meat into slices or separate into chunks and serve with the broth and some onions on top of each portion.

NOTE-the authors say to strain the broth, defat it and then serve it with onions on top of meat. Unless the meat was really fatty, I skip the defatting step.

SECOND NOTE-these authors make extensive use of what they call a "Flavor Step" which in this case is the herbs rubbed into the meat. It makes things so tasty, that you will wonder how you EVER ate without seasoning in this way!! Also, this may seem like a lot of onion and garlic, but it is a mellow taste that you get after the long oven cooking and it is wonderful!

Old 10-17-2000, 05:07 AM   #8  

I found this recipe as a sample from a book being offered on the net. I haven't made them so can't tell you much more than what you see, but they look incredibly good!! Please let me know if anyone makes them!!

Chocolate Walnut Clusters:

1/2 Cup Stone-Ground Whole-Wheat Pastry Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Egg Substitute or 1 Egg
1/4 Cup Smart Balance Margarine
1/2 Cup Pure Crystalline Fructose
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1 1/2 Squares Un-sweetened Bakers Chocolate
2 1/2 Cups Chopped Walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt chocolate; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder & salt; set aside. On high speed of mixer, beat egg substitute 1 minute; add margarine, fructose & vanilla; beat 1 minute on high. Add flour mixture & melted chocolate; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Fold in walnuts. Drop by teaspoon onto a cookie sheet greased with non-stick cooking spray; bake 12 minutes. Makes approximately 32 cookies.

Old 10-19-2000, 08:40 PM   #9  

Here's some yummy sounding recipes I found on another site. Haven't made any of them, so please let me know if any of you do try them!!

Desiree’s *Almond Pancakes*

1/2 cup almond flour
2 eggs - beaten
1/3 cup seltzer water
1 Tbsp. heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 packet Splenda or Stevia
Dash of cinnamon

Combine all ingredients and cook on hot griddle.

Desiree’s Muffins

1/2 teaspoon polyunsaturated vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup regular or low-fat cottage cheese
2 tablespoons soy flour
1 pkg. artificial sweetner

Preheat the oven to 300deg. Coat muffin cups with a little vegetable oil(or use butter, margarine or pan spray).
Separate the eggs very carefully, allowing no egg yolk to mix with the whites.
Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating just until stiff peaks form.
Combine egg yolks, cottage cheese, soy flour, and sweetener. Fold this mixture carefully into the egg whites.
Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full of batter. Bake the muffins for about 30 min. until they are golden brown and spring back when touched with a finger.
To make spice muffins, stir 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon,1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon cloves into soy flour before adding to the egg yolks

Almond-Flour Pound Cake

1 C butter
1 C Splenda
5 eggs
2 C almond flour
1 t baking powder
1 t lemon extract
1 t vanilla extract

Cream butter and Splenda well. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Mix flour with baking powder and add to egg mixture a little at a time while beating. Add lemon and vanilla extracts. Pour into greased 9" cake pan and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.

Pumpkin Cake – from Shelley Brisbin

2 cups Splenda (48 carbs)
2 cups soy flour (64 carbs)
1- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 can pumpkin (40 carbs, minus 16 fiber = 24 carbs)

Total carbs=136 grams (about 8.5 grams per slice)

Combine and mix all ingredients, and pour into one or two loaf pans or a tube cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (1 hour was a bit too long when I did it the first time) at 350 degrees.

Old 10-20-2000, 03:55 AM   #10  
Little Engine That Could

Chicken-broccoli sandwich

3-4 oz. sliced cooked chicken meat. Leftover baked chicken works real well, but you can also poach a chicken breast and use that.

1 thin slice WW bread, lightly toasted

1/3 - 1/2 pkg. frozen broccoli spears
2 T cottage cheese, can use non fat if desired
2 thin slices swiss cheese

Place one slice swiss cheese on bread and put under broiler until cheese has melted.
Remove from broiler and top cheese with chicken slices. Then add atop the chicken the cottage cheese. Finish off by laying the broccoli in one layer across the cottage cheese. Top the broccoli with the second piece of swiss cheese. Put this stacked sandwich meal under the broiler again until the top swiss cheese has begun to melt and get brown on the edges.

Serve with a knife and fork. This is a meal that should satisfy until dinner, and it is not high in calories.

Tomato-cheese melt

Fresh tomato sliced thin
SWEET onion, sliced thin
1 1/2 to 2 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
1 thin slice WW bread, lightly toasted

Layer the above ingredients on the bread, with the cheese being the top layer. Put under broiler until cheese melts and is bubbly.

You can enhance this sandwich by adding ham as one of the layers, or, if you eat bacon, top the cheese with 1/2 strip of bacon, broiling until the bacon is done. Yum!
Old 10-27-2000, 01:47 AM   #11  

Here's a couple recipes - GLORYB, sorry I forgot about the PB PIE, after eating the whole thing myself, I think I just wanted to forget about!!

PEANUT BUTTER PIE

Filling:

32oz carton non or lowfat yogurt (i use LF)
1 tsp vanilla
2tbl Splenda granular (or to taste)
4tbl no sugar, no salt added peanut butter

Crust: 4 zweiback slices (I used 3 Josephs cookies and sprayed the pie pan and sprinkled the crumbs in there)
1tbl peanut butter (again, no sugar or salt)

At LEAST 24 hours before drain your yogurt to make yogurt cheese (I usually let it drain 18hours or so)

Place yogurt cheese in a medium size bowl. Add vanila, Splenda, and PB, stirring gently with a fork or wire whisk until well blended.

Place crust ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until well blended. Press into the bottom of a 9" pie pan.

Pour filling in the crust and smooth the top with a spatula. Refridgerate 24 hours before serving.

Serive 8

Found this on another site - sounds yummy, may try to make it and throw in some feta!!

Baked Brown Rice

Ingredients:

2 cups brown rice
2 cups boullion (any flavor)
1 cup water
1 cup dried tomatoes
1/4 c. onion
1/4 c. bell pepper (julliene strips)
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In casserole dish (I prefer glass) place 2 cups brown rice, 2 cups boullion (any flavor), 1 cup water, 1 cup dried tomatoes, 1/4 c. ea. onion and bell pepper (julliene strips). I like to add about 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives. Cover and bake for about 1 hour - until rice is cooked.

Here is one of my favorite things to eat!

Debs Feta Pita Pizza

2oz feta cheese, crumbled
approx 1/4c chopped tomato
approx 3-4tbl chopped onion
1/2-1tsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
1/2 6" round WW pita bread

Mix feta with tomato and onion and olive oil if using. Split pita bread around edges so it looks like a pizza. Pile toppings on it and bake until lightly browned.

Old 10-27-2000, 02:31 AM   #12  

Manderan Orange salad

8oz. Whipping Cream ( I make mine with Diabeta sugar
1 pk of SF orange jello
Mix Well

Add 1 can manderan oranges (I drain mine and wash off with cold water so no syrup in on them.
Add 1 can of crushed pineapple in it's on juice
then add 1 small carton of cottage cheese
mix well and refrigerate for 1 hr. It's great
Old 10-27-2000, 04:44 AM   #13  

Red Cabbage Salad

1 med head red cabbage (purple)
2 large red bell peppers
1 small red onion (purple)
Italian or Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing

Chop everything up into small bite sized pieces and mix together. Add dressing of your choice but Italian is REALLY good.

This should last you for at least a week.
Old 11-03-2000, 08:57 PM   #14  

Just moving this up! Again!

[This message has been edited by Debelli (edited 11-10-2000).]
Old 11-10-2000, 10:30 PM   #15  

Moving this up again!
Closed Thread