Mel or Meg I need you.....:(

• My elliptical broke down last night. I'm going to replace it, but in the mean time, what other cardio exercise can I do to keep me on track until I get a new one. I am currently doing 4 days a week of cardio and 3 days a week of strength training. I was told lunges would help, but I wasn't sure if that would still give me the same amount of calories burned. I burn on the average with my elliptical about 400 calories. I also have a recumbent bike and a treadmill. The treadmill needs some minor repair. My GYM IS FALLING APART!!!

HELP!!!
  • Aww! I the elliptical too, but not to worry - there are lots of other kinds of cardio you can do. Really, any exercise is cardiovascular if it raises and sustains your heart rate for a defined period of time. I wouldn't classify lunges as cardio - unless you want to do them continuously for 30 minutes! - but the bike and treadmill are both excellent. Then there's also outdoor running or walking, swimming, and other kinds of cardio machines, like stairsteppers, stepmills, and crosstrainers (I don't know if you have access to a gym).

For maximum fat loss when you're doing cardio, do intervals of moderate intensity alternating with high intensity.

Good luck - you'll do fine!